768 users online (102 members and 666 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by averagemommy View Post
    This is my theory, too. I think the most obvious answers are likely the right ones. That he was a teenager likely in and out of trouble before he left home. The family didn't look for him because they probably had already given up on his lifestyle. I knew someone in AA who had a story like that. Perhaps that star tattoo was a youth sobriety thing, and maybe he fell off the wagon and got on tour with the Dead.

I think a lot of the clues that were dead ends do fit together... The guy who says he picked up a kid with two carolines and couldn't find them again so left RFK stadium with their stuff... the new photos that surfaced suggesting he was from SC... his ID and belongings were in that guy's car, but they never met up again... so he had to catch a ride south where family lived.. because what else would you do if you were in your late teens and suddenly lost everything after months or years of feeling free and invincible... head home to SC to family to hopefully take you back in again... or to clean up his act in the process of getting a roof over his head this time... maybe he really was in Illinois because that's where he was when the money ran out the prior year. The Dead played in Chicago in July 1994. Money ran out so he set up and got a job at McDs to get enough money through the winter and head back East in 95 once the tour started again.

This kind-of reminds me of Alexander Supertramp. Just a drifter who wanted to be free from parents & teachers, but a drifter that had his luck run out. (It also reminds me a little of the attitude of Band Aids in Almost Famous) He thought he'd catch a break by "floor surfing" and catching rides in the Summer East Coast tour '95... maybe with the intention of getting closer to home... and ultimately he lost in the end... Poor planning, too much dreaming... Family tried to help him before he left, but he was set in his ways and they didn't know to report him as a missing person (sometimes you can't help someone who won't help themselves)... Chalked him up as a runaway....

I do really think he met the driver prior to the day they died, though. I don't really know how, but I feel it. They are too similar for it to be a hitch hiking situation. Both deadheads, both going from DC south (and as we think, possibly to SC).

I wish there were more leads on the Carolines. That would really help.
    THIS

I'm a lonnnggg time lurker here. I am of this opinion as well. I believe he came from a very religious family. I think found his mother on intellius and her other children or family members have extremely religious first names. I'm sorry if this was mentioned in a later post, I haven't read far enough yet, but someone on Reddit said that there was a family looking for an adopted brother with the last name Callahan. I put the pieces together in my head and I must say, Jason's life was (if the adoption story is true) heartbreaking...heart wrenching. I am a mother of two boys and thinking about how Jason must have felt about himself makes my soul cry. I hope some on really digs deep into the family dynamic and writes a book, Jason deserves it. He deserves to finally be treated like the beautiful person he was.

Quote Originally Posted by mediablitz View Post
    THIS

. . . I'm sorry if this was mentioned in a later post, I haven't read far enough yet, but someone on Reddit said that there was a family looking for an adopted brother with the last name Callahan. I put the pieces together in my head and I must say, Jason's life was (if the adoption story is true) heartbreaking...heart wrenching. I am a mother of two boys and thinking about how Jason must have felt about himself makes my soul cry. I hope some on really digs deep into the family dynamic and writes a book, Jason deserves it. He deserves to finally be treated like the beautiful person he was.
    If you read through some of the Reddit posts it's Jason's half-sister (Jason's father's and stepmother's daughter) looking for her full brother who was born within a year of Jason. He would have been Jason's half-brother.

Been lurking for awhile also and this is the first time I have posted. I myself, traveled to see the Dead and other bands and also went to Rainbow gatherings. I see a lot of people posting their own therories to explain some things they don't understand, that seem normal to us that lived this lifestyle. So I am gonna try to explain how I feel on some things and my therories.

1. To explain how he lost touch with his mother. This was normal for a lot of kids on tour. I personally would call my parents here and there, send a post card, but there were times my mother didn't hear from me until I showed up on her doorstep. The longest was 2 1/2yrs and she never filed a missing report on me.

2. He could have gotten a miracle into the show and not gotten the tickets from a scalper. A miracle is when someone gives you ticket for free. I doubt this since the scalper bought both of the tickets he had. But it was common for us to go to shows without tickets hoping to get in somehow

3. A lot of kids didn't have an ID on them. There were many reasons for this ( being a runaway, on the run from the law, carried no possessions, lost it, don't have a home etc)

4. The Carolines.. For the person that thought the girls weren't close because they didn't go by a nickname. My best friend and I had the same first name and we never went by a nickname. The note makes it sound like they were to meet up but the girls had to leave. My first thought is these girls were headed the same way he was and he was supposed to catch a ride with them. Maybe this is why there is no area code... Or the assumed he knew the area code.

4. He could of gone by a nickname that he received from his show "family"... I knew many that went by nicknames..

.. I have more but my phone is gonna die soon so I will have to post more later

I agree with Doodlebug regarding the friends not going by a nickname. My best friend from age 4 and I have the same first name. We have never combined them or had a nickname.

to Websleuths, Doodlebug, and thanks for your insightful post.
    Here a , there a , everywhere a

Thanks for the Welcome

There is so much to process from this and then reading everyone's posts. So I am gonna try my best to add my thoughts about some more.. starting where I left off

5. It was "normal" not to have many possessions. This could explain why he didn't have anything on him. I lived on a school bus for a couple of years, and all I had was a trash bag of stuff. When hitchhiking I usually had a backpack on me, but if only going to a couple of shows we usually traveled with nothing.

6. I thought a lot about where Eric could of picked up Grateful Doe. Unfortunately there is really no knowing. They could of had a mutual friend set up the ride, GD could of been picked up hitchhiking anywhere (highway, truck stop etc) Back then we would go to the truck stops to hitchhike. It was easier to catch a ride from there.

7. I feel he was headed home...where ever that may be. The next Dead show was in Michigan and then Pennsylvania. The Rainbow gather was in New Mexico that year, so he wasn't headed that way

8. It was normal to crash on stranger couch or floor. While traveling if we didn't have the money to stay at hotels we would go through the Rainbow Guide http://www.bliss-fire.com/WhatIsRbGuide.php ( our's wasn't on the net) and find people to contact to stay with. He could of been headed to a friends or rainbow family. Also we can't forget about the communes. This is one that we stayed at alot. http://www.thefarm.org/ . Communes are very close knit, so if you contacted any of them, I am sure they could tell you he stayed there or not. I know it was 20yrs ago, but I am sure someone would remember. I hadn't been there in 15yrs, but recently took a vacation there with my kids, and all my old friends remembered me.

9. It was normal to travel with complete strangers. So him not knowing Eric would have been normal

I really feel that Jason C from Myrtle Beach is GD, which would explain why he was headed that way.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10