1105 users online (244 members and 861 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Interesting, Zapped.... do you remember if he told his name or anything about himself? Where was he from, etc??

TIA

After 20 years I cant remember much detail at all. I did sit down and try to recall his name and even sent an email to my friend who was a passenger but so far no response.

Im not even sure on the state we picked him up at.It could have been any state between Va and Florida.I do know that I slept for at least 6 hours while he drove us safely back to Richmond Va. That combined with me driving for a number of hours prior to him taking the wheel points to either South Carolina or Georgia.

Have you ever been so tired from driving that you've run off the road a couple of times because you've fallen asleep behind the wheel? My friend and this guy were begging me to stop and let anyone else drive before I killed us all and I was so tired I was fighting them about it.

I think thats part of the reason why my recollection is so fuzzy on this in addition to the time thats passed.

I wonder if law enforcement checked out leads on runaways in the southern states? I'm about 80 percent certain that the hitchhiker told me ran away from home at 16 and had been following the Grateful Dead ever since.

If I can recall any other details or my friend gets back to me Ill post here as soon as time allows.

I want to point out that Im not saying this for attention or any reason other than genuinely wanting to help.I know there have been issues with things like that on this and other crime forums in the past due to mentally ill individuals, people wanting attention, trying to fit in etc. I know I'm new and that makes me automatically a little suspect at least in the eyes of a few so I wanted to clear that up.

I joined the forums to research a possible connection to Robert Hourihan and my fathers best friend whos been missing for 16 years named Waverly Sharpe. In looking through the forums I saw The Grateful Dead Fans pic and he looked familiar.
    Last edited by zapped; 05-31-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDMike View Post
    I don't think he was broke. He had money for tickets and did not appear to be a transient.
    One note—free tickets, called a "miracle," at a GD show were common. While it's less likely because both tickets were traced to a guy who was selling tickets, there is a possibility someone else bought them and passed them along to him. I wish they had gotten more information out of the ticket seller. He seems like he would have more information on how he got rid of them at the very least.

My thought is that he was specifically going to these shows. He purchased tickets, made his way to a show close to his home, and was making his way back home, broke. I don't think he was a transient either. It always sounded like he was hitching a ride home after the show.

Or it's possible he was hitching a ride to the next show. The next 2 shows were at The Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan on June 27 and 28. It is 564 miles from the DC shows. But where he was found, Greensville, VA, is the opposite direction.

It appears from the tattoo listed in John Does photos that he was also a fan of a band called His Infernal Majesty or H.I.M for short. Its been mistaken for a star but is known as a heart a gram and was created by the bands singer.

It looks like that band didnt have their first U.S tour until 2005 BUT that doesnt mean that they didnt open shows for other bands. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in music could look into that for us?

From the NAMUS thread:

Quote Originally Posted by njf520 View Post
    i also looked into the HIM connection, thinking jason doe might be from finland. but, HIM was a very small band when the accident happened. he would've had to have been a VERY early fan. in fact, the logo would have been first created the year jason died.
    But according to another site, it was created for the band in 1996, after Jason's death. And on the singer's 20th birthday, which is 1996.

The heartagram was originally created in 1996 by Ville Valo as the symbol for HIM. The band is self titled as a "love metal" band in which they use heavy metal guitar and base lines to create love songs.
    The History of the Heartagram
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_5130038_hi...#ixzz2UsUloxv3

To me, it always looked like an amateur, home-done tattoo, and the edges are just rounded due to inexperience not because it's the heartagram. Sites indicate it was not a professional tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    From the NAMUS thread:

But according to another site, it was created for the band in 1996, after Jason's death. And on the singer's 20th birthday, which is 1996.

The History of the Heartagram
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_5130038_hi...#ixzz2UsUloxv3

To me, it always looked like an amateur, home-done tattoo, and the edges are just rounded due to inexperience not because it's the heartagram. Sites indicate it was not a professional tattoo.
    See my post below
    Last edited by SouthernSeaSnail; 05-31-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: incorrect info

HIM was called HER in Us, then bought the rights to the name from HiS. Ville Vale designed the symbol in Nov 1996 on his 20th birthday. But what if that's just a marketing ploy and the symbol was around before 1995, even maybe from HiS?

How old would you judge the star tattoo? And what about his other tattoo...what could the design be and how old does it look?

i think it's more likely, given the timing and popularity of the symbol, that we're seeing something that doesn't exist. sure it's possible the HIM symbol existed prior to the band but unless we can find some other significance i think we're just looking at jason doe's tattoo wrong.

Any ideas on the other tattoo?

Quote Originally Posted by masootz View Post
    i think it's more likely, given the timing and popularity of the symbol, that we're seeing something that doesn't exist. sure it's possible the HIM symbol existed prior to the band but unless we can find some other significance i think we're just looking at jason doe's tattoo wrong.

I dont think so, a star is one of the first symbols a kid learns how to draw...right behind a square and a circle. If the edges had been a little rounded I could see that but these look to be done that way deliberately, especially considering the sharpness of the other points and the symmetrical nature of the rounded corners.

Jason had two tattoos, one a star and the other faded vein-like. The faded one: what could it be and why is it so faded!

Quote Originally Posted by zapped View Post
    I dont think so, a star is one of the first symbols a kid learns how to draw...right behind a square and a circle. If the edges had been a little rounded I could see that but these look to be done that way deliberately, especially considering the sharpness of the other points and the symmetrical nature of the rounded corners.
    i was saying i don't think the tattoo is related to the band HIM's logo as others have theorized.

Quote Originally Posted by masootz View Post
    i was saying i don't think the tattoo is related to the band HIM's logo as others have theorized.
    Im still waiting on an email from the band H.I.M but it should clear up any doubts about if they were opening for other bands in the U.S at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by zapped View Post
    Im still waiting on an email from the band H.I.M but it should clear up any doubts about if they were opening for other bands in the U.S at that time.
    awesome. good on you for trying to get that information.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast