1023 users online (165 members and 858 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - Seeking info about a case in the late 1950's / early 1960's

Hi,
    I just joined this forum. I am curious about a case that happened when I was a kid growing up in New Jersey. This would be in the late 1950's or early 1960's. There was a girl missing, and her name was something like Elizabeth or Eileen Kirsted. I don't know her name exactly. Her name sounded a little like my name at the time and she had the same initials as me. This happened right after a guy tried to abduct me, so hearing her name on the radio at the time affected me quite deeply - it could have been me. Something reminded me of this whole thing the other day, and now I'm curious about it.

If anyone knows of a place where I could find newspaper archives for the New York/New Jersey area for that time period, maybe I could find something.
    Many thanks!
    Elaine

Hi Elaine, would you like to talk about what happened when you were almost abducted?

I don't even know what state this is from but this is a newspaper archive that mentions a store owned by a John Kirsted, might be somewhere to start?
    http://www.th-record.com/archive/200...2/sat22brf.htm

It says "Mid Hudson" as in Hudson River? That's New York, right?

There you go Elaine, it is definitely New York, John Kirsted's store is/was in Mongaup Valley in New York.
    http://www.bearsystems.com/MongaupVa...gaupValley.htm

Here's the link for news media from that region, and I'm sure they would have archives you could search -

http://www.bearsystems.com/news/news.html

Hi,
    Thanks for the info - it turns out there are *lots* of people in the area with similar sounding names. The New York Times and the Washington Post have archives going back 100 years or so. I've had no luck finding this case, though. I think it's the proverbial needle in the haystack and it may be that I'll never find out.
    My story in a nutshell - was fooled into accepting a ride with a guy who then exposed himself. He let me out and drove away. I wasn't scared, I didn't even realize I was in any danger! They did catch the guy later.
    What I did find looking through the newspaper archives from 50 years ago was that there were plenty of missing and murdered kids back in those days too, very sad.
    Elaine

Is this Northern, Central or southern jersey?

Did you try looking on the Doe Network?

Hi,
    Not sure, probably north Jersey.
    I did check doe network, no luck.