703 users online (78 members and 625 guests)  

Websleuths News

MD - Gladys Faye Beauchamp, murdered in Glen Burnie, MD, October 1989

Posted On-line 07/19/2004
    Gladys Faye Beauchamp

On October 11, 1989, the body of GLADYS "FAYE" BEAUCHAMP was discovered in a wooded area located off of Crain Highway near Oak Manor Drive in Glen Burnie, Maryland. "Faye" was the victim of a homicide.
    FAYE BEAUCHAMP was a white female, 37 years of age, weighing approximately 105 pounds, with brown shoulder-length hair. Faye was known to ride the #14 MTA bus from Patapsco Avenue and Hanover Street to the corner of Crain Highway and Aquahart Road. Faye would board the bus at approximately 6:00 a.m. She would then walk to the North Arundel Convalescent Center by way of an asphalt walkway that extends from Aquahart Road to the Hardees
    restaurant in the Southgate shopping center. Faye would then walk to the convalescent Center by way of Hospital Drive. On the morning of October 11, 1989, at approximately 6:10 a.m., Faye was murdered while walking on this path. The case is still open and is being actively investigated by detectives from the Anne Arundel County Police Department's Homicide Unit, Cold Case Squad. Investigators in this case are interested in speaking with anyone who may have seen Faye either on the bus or walking to work on October 11, 1989.
    Anyone who has information regarding the homicide of Gladys Faye Beauchamp, or anyone with information pertaining to her death or pertaining to the identification of witnesses or suspects, please call:

Sergeant Keith Clark
    Homicide Unit
    (410) 222-3456
    Or give anonymous tips through:
    Metro Crime Stoppers
    Toll Free 1-866-7LOCKUP (756-2587)
    E-mail: www.tipsubmit.com
    Text Message: Send the letters “MCS” plus your message to 274637

Housekeeper murdered walking to work

Twenty-one years after her death, the case of Gladys "Faye" Beauchamp is still cold in the Anne Arundel County Police Department.
    Baltimore resident Beauchamp was 37 years old when a teenager bicycling near Maryland Route 100 and Crain Highway in Glen Burnie found her body on Oct. 11, 1989. Beauchamp was in the woods, 20 feet off the bicycle trail.

Police have never divulged details of her death, saying they would only be known to the killer.
    "Obviously, it's something pretty unique," police spokesman Sgt. Joseph Bisesi told the Washington Post in 1989.

The day that she was killed, Beauchamp was on her way to work as a housekeeper at the North Arundel Convalescent Center. As she did every work day, she boarded the 6 a.m. No. 14 MTA bus at the corner of Patapsco Avenue and Hanover Street and took it to the intersection of Crain Highway and Aquahart Road. She typically then walked on the sidewalk to the Hardee's before turning onto Hospital Drive at the Southgate shopping center. It was during this routine walk to work that she was abducted, police believe at 6:10 a.m., and ultimately killed.

Soon after the slaying, police reportedly said that a woman who regularly saw the victim walking to work saw her on the day of her slaying, followed by a 6-foot-tall man wearing a green Army jacket, jeans, yellow knit hat and a scarf.

The description roughly matched that of a serial rape suspect. In the month leading up to Beauchamp's death, four women -- a woman and her daughter on Sept. 29, another woman four days later at a liquor store, and a 26-year-old on Oct. 23 -- were sexually assaulted and robbed. The mother-daughter pair were assaulted on Old Stage Road, just blocks from where Beauchamp was killed. The suspect was a young man with a scar on his face.

Police did not say whether Beauchamp was sexually assaulted.

Anyone with information in the case is encouraged to call the Anne Arundel County Police Department Sgt. Keith Clark of the homicide unit at 410-222-3456. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call the toll-free Metro Crime Stoppers like at 866-7LOCKUP (756-2587), text "MCS" plus the tip to 274637 or visittipsubmit.com.

I'm always amazed how when I post about cold cases no one has any interest in them besides me.

And again..bump/

The Piney Woods
    Quote Originally Posted by UMfanforever View Post
    I'm always amazed how when I post about cold cases no one has any interest in them besides me.
    I'm interested! There is just nothing that I can do or say to be helpful.

I would think that LE would have released at least one unique characteristic of her murder since the case is so old. Who knows if the killer has killed since then and left his/her MO, "calling card" or whatever the unique thing is then people could look at other unsolved murders and possible link them.