814 users online (107 members and 707 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

giant RAT SIZED snails

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15...test+-+Text%29

South Florida residents are being warned to be on the lookout for one of the world's most destructive invasive species: the giant African land snail, which can grow as big as a rat.

The huge mollusks were first spotted in Florida in 2011, and their numbers are growing, Reuters reports. More than 1,000 are being caught each week in Miami-Dade County and more will continue to emerge from hibernation in the coming weeks.

The snails can gnaw through stucco and plastic, and attack "over 500 known species of plants ... pretty much anything that's in their path and green," Denise Feiber, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, told Reuters.

The snails also carry a parasitic rat lungworm that can cause illness in humans, including a form of meningitis, Feiber said, although no such cases have yet been identified in the United States.

As long as they don't make horrid snurfling sounds as they're eating the house. What? They DO? j/k

Florida battles Giant African land snail infestation with over 100,000 already in the state (Daily Mail)
    The last time the snails invaded the state was in 1966.
    When they were beaten back and finally driven into the sea at the bloody Battle of Key West.

Giant, rat-sized snail pics at the link

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    As long as they don't make horrid snurfling sounds as they're eating the house. What? They DO? j/k

Florida battles Giant African land snail infestation with over 100,000 already in the state (Daily Mail)

When they were beaten back and finally driven into the sea at the bloody Battle of Key West.

I remember it well. Almost got caught napping. They're faster then they look.

Lol! I JUST started a thread on this. I didn't see this thread. Sorry I'll see if I can remove it
    "It seems our profound fascination with serial killers is matched by an equally profound lack of interest in their victims." - Vanessa Veselka

http://stoptheviolencemilwaukee.blogspot.com/

"This is a wonderful day. I have never seen this one ever before." Dr. Maya Angelou

F.L.Y. First love yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post

@ snurfling
    "It seems our profound fascination with serial killers is matched by an equally profound lack of interest in their victims." - Vanessa Veselka

http://stoptheviolencemilwaukee.blogspot.com/

"This is a wonderful day. I have never seen this one ever before." Dr. Maya Angelou

F.L.Y. First love yourself!

argh i hate snails and slugs.

i do not feel good after seeing that but i suppose i am on the other side of the world
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; The point is to discover them.

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder

Sentence - LIFE Without Parole

I happen to love snails. Used to keep tanks of them.

Not anymore. Had no idea they could carry diseases!

(Snurfling is hilarious.)

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post

(Snurfling is hilarious.)
    Yes it is and accurate too. It was the loud snurfling sound that woke me from my nap. Another 10-15 minutes and I'd have been a goner.