giant RAT SIZED snails

TrackerSam

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/1...oxnews/national+(Internal+-+US+Latest+-+Text)

South Florida residents are being warned to be on the lookout for one of the world's most destructive invasive species: the giant African land snail, which can grow as big as a rat.

The huge mollusks were first spotted in Florida in 2011, and their numbers are growing, Reuters reports. More than 1,000 are being caught each week in Miami-Dade County and more will continue to emerge from hibernation in the coming weeks.

The snails can gnaw through stucco and plastic, and attack "over 500 known species of plants ... pretty much anything that's in their path and green," Denise Feiber, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, told Reuters.

The snails also carry a parasitic rat lungworm that can cause illness in humans, including a form of meningitis, Feiber said, although no such cases have yet been identified in the United States.

Lol! I JUST started a thread on this. I didn't see this thread. Sorry I'll see if I can remove it

argh i hate snails and slugs.

i do not feel good after seeing that but i suppose i am on the other side of the world :seeya:

:eek: :eek:

I happen to love snails. Used to keep tanks of them.

Not anymore. Had no idea they could carry diseases!

(Snurfling is hilarious.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77