1245 users online (239 members and 1006 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MS - Everett Dutschke for mailing ricin letters, framing rival, Tupelo, 2013

Envelope tests positive for ricin at Washington mail facility (CNN)
    Washington (CNN) -- An envelope that tested positive for the deadly poison ricin was intercepted Tuesday afternoon at the U.S. Capitol's off-site mail facility in Washington, congressional and law enforcement sources tell CNN.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he was told the letter was addressed to the office of Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Mississippi. After the envelope tested positive in a first routine test, it was retested two more times, each time coming up positive, the law enforcement source said. The package was then sent to a Maryland lab for further testing.

Sen. Claire McCaskill told reporters after a briefing for lawmakers that a suspect has already been identified in the incident. Members will be warning their home-state offices to look out for similar letters, she said.
    ---
    more at the link

I read he's a junior senator. But, I don't know anything about him. Has he done anything politically that perhaps someone would take great issue with? Just curious.

Good question! I was barely aware of the man. I would suppose he holds positions typical to those of other Southern Republican senators. Still looking. His position on immigration reform seems to oppose the compromise suggested by Sen. Rubio, but even of that I'm not sure.

The last ricin-related incident, incidentally, involved four aging Georgia militia members charged in 2011; two have pled guilty to lesser charges, and two were scheduled for trial in February, though that date has evidently been pushed back.

Wicker did have dinner with other senators and President Obama last week, in the process of being wooed, perhaps, on issues like immigation, the deficit, and gun control. That might have set a nut job off.

http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart...s-dinner-Obama

What I will say is just what I saw on another site- but, Wicker apparently broke ranks with other GOP senators and announced he will vote for the limited background check legislation. Apparently some extreme right groups have been vilifying him on their sites and bombarding his office with abuse. Not pointing fingers here- but it may be some clue as to what direction some of this is coming from. There are extremists everywhere..

Here's a link to a gun rights discussion board branding him and others as 'traitors'

http://m14forum.com/gun-rights/13792...-traitors.html
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

I have scrolled through the comments on the board I linked to- I note some calling for his death. Exactly how do I report this and to whom?? LE is probably aware of this stuff but you never know..

A perusal of terrorist incidents in the U.S. gives a good idea of the direction almost all since the early '70s have come from.

Terrorism in the United States (Wiki)

So I think it's a safe bet that this incident comes from a like direction.
    Last edited by wfgodot; 04-16-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    I have scrolled through the comments on the board I linked to- I note some calling for his death. Exactly how do I report this and to whom?? LE is probably aware of this stuff but you never know..
    I would think that calling for the death of an elected federal official would be an FBI matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    https://tips.fbi.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I would think that calling for the death of an elected federal official would be an FBI matter.
    Reported with a link. Thanks.

House Homeland Security Committee chairman Michael McCaul, R-Texas, said that there is no evidence indicating that the attack on the Boston Marathon yesterday is related to the ricin letter intercepted today en route to the office of Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss.
    ---
    more: http://washingtonexaminer.com/house-...rticle/2527383

I don't know if you all remember after 9/11 it seemed like there were all kinds of these incidents. Some real ,some fake,the most noted was the anthrax being sent to politicians and Tom Brokaw. Seems like when there is an incident,all the crazys and people with a beef come out.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
    I don't know if you all remember after 9/11 it seemed like there were all kinds of these incidents. Some real ,some fake,the most noted was the anthrax being sent to politicians and Tom Brokaw. Seems like when there is an incident,all the crazys and people with a beef come out.
    I lived in San Antonio and there were a couple (at least) "fake powder" incidents in the area (as well as several possible "bombs" called in - if there was a package or a backpack lying out somewhere, people freaked).

The anthrax scare immediately followed 9/11. The ricin letters came two years later.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
    After antrax, people were freaked out by anything resembling white powder (such as flour).
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast