739 users online (104 members and 635 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OR - Dustin Self, 19, Steens Mountain area, March 2013

Oregon Searchers Look for Missing Oklahoma Teen

A 19-year-old from Oklahoma inspired to live off the land by the movie "Into the Wild" was reported missing on Wednesday in remote, rugged country in southeastern Oregon.

Dustin Self had left his parents' home in the Oklahoma City suburb of Piedmont a month ago "to see if he could live in the wild," and to investigate some churches that practice a South American religion that uses a hallucinogenic tea as a sacrament, his parents said. One is in Ashland, and the other in Portland.

[snip]

His parents last heard from him March 15, when he called from the parking lot of a motel in northern Nevada where he was spending the night in the cab of his pickup. The next day, Dustin called his girlfriend in Austin, Texas, to say he was lost after his GPS had sent him onto a road along the east side of Steens Mountain in the high desert of southeastern Oregon.

[snip]

"He is not a survivalist," said his father, Victor Self, a manager at a box plant in Oklahoma City. "He is a very urban child."

His mother said, "I think he got a lot off the Internet."

Tammy Self said her son is a vegetarian, with no desire to kill animals to eat.

"He thought he was going to eat berries," she said. "We tried to tell him, berries don't grow in wintertime."

His father called Harney County Sheriff's Office March 17, but a search along the route from Fields to Lakeview turned up nothing. He also filed a missing person report with his local police. Then on Monday, Dustin's truck was found. His backpack and camping gear were gone, but the keys, his computer, his GPS and some of his supply of protein bars and other food had been left behind.

More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...6#.UW8-espc83U
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 05-05-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Harney County officials searching for missing Oklahoma teen on Steens Mountain

Searchers were waiting for high winds to moderate Wednesday over 9,733-foot Steens Mountain in southeastern Oregon so they could bring in an aircraft and resume their hunt for a 19-year-old Oklahoma teen-ager presumed lost somewhere on the rugged mountain's south end.

A search party combed the snow-covered fault-block peak's south side Tuesday after a rancher found a pickup truck owned by Dustin Self at 5,100 feet elevation, said Missy Ousley, 9-1-1 dispatcher for the Harney County Sheriff's office in Burns.

More: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ls_search.html

Oh My... I hope the adventurous and romantic notion of living off the land hasn't gotten this young man in danger!

Quote Originally Posted by IHAVENOCLUE View Post
    Oh My... I hope the adventurous and romantic notion of living off the land hasn't gotten this young man in danger!
    Most unfortunately, he's already been missing for a month. In the winter. In the mountains. Without survival gear. I mean...I understand they had no idea where to look before, but it's just a shame it took this long to get the word out that this kid was missing.

Wooooow. That's all I can say.

Wasn't the "Into the Wild" movie based on a guy who actually died in the wilderness? Does he know anything about Eastern Oregon, Like the fact that it's damn near inhabitable?

Meanwhile, I haven't heard a thing about this kid in the news. Why?

Really hope he found a group of like-minded safe individuals and has shelter, can't imagine why/how he'd be living/camping in Eastern OR during the winter without the proper gear and experience. Eastern OR is beautiful though, can see why he would be out there.

What in the world was this 19 year old thinking????

Don't really want to be a "Debby Downer" but it has been cold and snowing even up to last week in those mountains.

Something about the Pacific NW draws these young people in. Any random day (particularly summer) you drive through southern Oregon area there are lots of youngish hitchhikers out to explore the area. I have run into a few people who have grand ideas of "living off the land" or at the least, living on the cheap out of a tent. Those people don't know this area well. Berries aren't ripe until July at the earliest! Sure there is "miner's lettuce" that you can eat now, but I doubt you would get enough to sustain yourself.

Sadly, he does remind me a little of the man written about in "Into the Wild". After I read that book, I felt sad for days. That interesting young man essentially killed himself with his naivete. I am hoping that THIS young man hitched a ride to Ashland, or somewhere, and will be contacting his family soon.

Photo of Dustin finally available.

Dustin Self, seen in his Oklahoma driver's license photo (Courtesy: Harney County Sheriff's Department, April 18, 2013)

www.koin.com/2013/04/17/oklahoma-teen-missing-in-southern-oregon/?=123

Steens Mtn. air search finds no trace of teen
    Sheriff plans another flight Saturday

A short break in the weather has allowed a rancher with a helicopter to search a rugged mountainside in southeastern Oregon for a young man inspired by the movie "Into The Wild" to test himself against the wilderness.

More: http://www.ktvz.com/news/Steens-Mtn-...e/-/index.html

This has hit the news over here (in Australia) this morning. It's sad that so much time has passed before anyone knew where to look, it doesn't seem like this one's going to have a happy ending (although I'm more than happy to be proven wrong).

After seeing the movie I can understand why this kind of adventure would be appealing to a young man who was struggling to discover who he was. The movie is actually quite uplifting for the most part, and (up until the end) the young man seems to find happiness in his travels, meeting a variety of different people and seeing lots of new things. I'm sure someone would see this and think that they could do the same kind of thing, without meeting such a tragic end. Unfortunately, these romanticized notions of traveling and living off the land are very rarely realistic, especially when you have NO experience out in the wilderness. This young mans father describing him as very urban, and his mother saying that he wouldn't hunt for food - very unsettling. I don't feel that this young man had the knowledge or the means to survive out there for this long.

I'm hoping (like others) that he has met up with a group of travelers, and is having the adventure of his life. He may have decided to cut ties with his family to feel more free to discover himself, with nothing holding him back to his old life. Prayers that he comes home to his family soon.
    Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
    Emily Dickinson

A parents nightmare. If it were me I would go to the area in a heartbeat. I just feel the parents are beside themselves but I wish they would be more pro active. Of course they may think they don't have the resources. Maybe they are being proactive and are just now getting help.

Please let him be found and alive.

This is so weird. Last winter, I was on a train from Los Angeles to Portland and I met some people about my age (early 20s). One of them was this guy from Texas who was planning to move to Oregon to live in the wilderness. He had no survival gear with him and very obviously had no idea what he was doing. He actually asked us if he'd get cold camping in the snow, and he thought he could drink untreated river water. At one stop outside Klamath Falls, he actually wanted to get off the train and wander into the wilderness to camp with nothing but the clothes he was wearing. Some of the other guys convinced him to stay on the train until Portland, but I don't know what became of him. It was the strangest thing.

So I guess this is a "thing" for some young men.
    always remembering

Jacob Wetterling, missing from St. Joseph, Minnesota since October 22, 1989

Jeanna North, missing from West Fargo, North Dakota since June 28, 1993

Harney sheriff: Missing Okla. man was hallucinating

The sheriff heading up the search for a young Oklahoma man missing in the wilds of southeastern Oregon says the young man was hallucinating the last time he telephoned his family.

He also said he was seeing plants coming out of the ground and running in a call to his girlfriend.

More: http://www.ktvz.com/news/Harney-sher...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed View Post
    Harney sheriff: Missing Okla. man was hallucinating

The sheriff heading up the search for a young Oklahoma man missing in the wilds of southeastern Oregon says the young man was hallucinating the last time he telephoned his family.

He also said he was seeing plants coming out of the ground and running in a call to his girlfriend.

More: http://www.ktvz.com/news/Harney-sher...z/-/index.html
    from same article:

Sheriff Dave Glerup said Friday he thinks Self is either dead or walked off Steens Mountain and hitched a ride somewhere after his truck got stuck on a backcountry track.
    i'd like to know when the phonecall was made

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast