1205 users online (271 members and 934 guests)  

Websleuths News

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Elimination Communication?

Report: More babies going without diapers

New parenting method called 'Elimination Communication'

Author: Tara Evans, Producer, tevans@wkmg.com

Published On: Apr 22 2013 04:24:18 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 22 2013 04:45:54 PM EDT

Parents everywhere probably agree that changing diapers is no fun. But what about letting your baby go without diapers?

READ: Buying in bulk can save big bucks

It's called "elimination communication"; a method of parenting that is getting a lot of attention. According to the New York Times, it's actually become a huge trend in some hipper parts of New York City...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifest...f/-/index.html

Yes, there are mom's who swear by "EC" on several different parenting websites I belong to.

Personally, its not for me, as I feel that I would be "stuck" at home more than I would want.

I saved a lot of money on diapers, by using cloth

I'm sure it works for some, but I have 2 boys under 2 and I've seen the messes that come out of them!!

Although I am quite tempted to try it with my 20month old, he can tell whether he's done a poo or wee (or he's an excellent guess) but he's already so close to being potty trained
    SA Hospital Liason Officer @ Yasminah's Gift of Hope

Supporting Parents of Premature Birth & Sleeping Angels

www.ygoh.org.au

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    This has been semi-popular (in America) for at least a decade. I remember many trying it when my kids were younger. My grandmother always swore that her kids were 'potty trained' by 6 months. She said that if you had 6 kids and had to hand wash diapers then you were highly motivated. By the time I had kids she was too old to tell me how she did it but I assume it was similar to EC.

I could have done this with my first born as he was pretty much attached to my hip and I usually knew beforehand when he was about to do his business but I don't think I'd have managed with the second or the third one when the older ones were there to divert attention from the baby's bathroom needs.

The younger the baby, the less it's about potty training the baby and the more about potty training the adult to notice the child's signals. JMO.
    Last edited by Donjeta; 04-23-2013 at 09:07 AM.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    We did this our oldest and had friends who did it as well. It works. We did it intermittently but our friends did it 100% of the time. Their daughter was completely potty-trained at 11-months-old, when she learned to walk and could walk herself to her little potty.

ETA - it's not 'new'. It goes back thousands of years. Diapers are what's new...
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

I have a ton of friends that did this with varied success.

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    Report: More babies going without diapers

New parenting method called 'Elimination Communication'

Author: Tara Evans, Producer, tevans@wkmg.com

Published On: Apr 22 2013 04:24:18 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 22 2013 04:45:54 PM EDT

Parents everywhere probably agree that changing diapers is no fun. But what about letting your baby go without diapers?

READ: Buying in bulk can save big bucks

It's called "elimination communication"; a method of parenting that is getting a lot of attention. According to the New York Times, it's actually become a huge trend in some hipper parts of New York City...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifest...f/-/index.html
    We are kinda trying to potty train my DGS so this article was of interest. But no. Not even gonna try this.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I heard of this after my children were potty trained. I don't think I would have been successful with my first baby, but the second would have been good to try it with (a lot more laid back, easy to 'read' etc).

This baby factory is closed for good, so I'm never going to get the chance to try it out . I mostly used cloth both of my kids and I hated washing them. I loved the extra money in my pocket each week though.

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    I meant to post this earlier (I'm addicted to the Jodi Arias trial!) for those who might not have seen this news item from last fall.

Mom Potty Trains Her Children In The Middle Of A Utah Restaurant (VIDEO)

Posted: 09/05/2012 6:07 pm Updated: 09/07/2012 6:50 pm

As any parent in the midst of potty training a child knows, public restrooms are sub-optimal for toddlers. HuffPost blogger Amber Dusick has illustrated the challenges (boys who can't reach the potty, girls who require toilet paper patchwork quilts, etc.), but much of the Internet is still outraged by one mom's recent solution to the going-potty-in-public conundrum.

It happened at the Thanksgiving Point Deli in Utah. The mom in question brought her family's potty to the restaurant, placed it on a chair and let each of her two children sit on it. While eating. At a table. In the middle of the dining room...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1858510.html