1100 users online (172 members and 928 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheExorcist View Post
    Betty is not in that photo. Her granddaughter, who contributed to a few of the discussions on the Sodder family on WebSleuths, showed the photo to her mother (Betty's sister) who said the girl in the picture was not Betty.

To be honest, I can't really comprehend how some people on this forum got to even think that could be Betty, just because they noticed a similarity in appearance. The photo is actually a still from a film called "Bellissima", made in 1951. This is the website from where a contributor to this forum had gotten the photo: https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/michaelw...hino_visconti/.

The person who said one of the girls in that photo was Betty basically just searched Google for "ballet photos" and specified some date in the 1940s, found one photo, saw a girl she thought resembled Betty, and came to the conclusion that it actually was Betty. I don't think that was very good detective work.
    Maybe not, but that's why we are here. We explore EVERY angle, no matter how small or insignificant. You would be surprised at how many small seemingly insignificant details have solved a case. I truly enjoy reading your perspectives TE! Thank you for the valuable input.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

This is why I have wondered where Mr Sodder got the photo he claimed to have seen. I thought maybe someone gave it to him or sent it to him with the wrong info about what magazine it appeared in. Maybe he didn't spot the photo himself but someone passed it along to him, for instance, they cut it out of the magazine. Was he in the habit of even reading Look magazine, or did the family subscribe to it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheExorcist View Post
    Betty is not in that photo. Her granddaughter, who contributed to a few of the discussions on the Sodder family on WebSleuths, showed the photo to her mother (Betty's sister) who said the girl in the picture was not Betty.

To be honest, I can't really comprehend how some people on this forum got to even think that could be Betty, just because they noticed a similarity in appearance. The photo is actually a still from a film called "Bellissima", made in 1951. This is the website from where a contributor to this forum had gotten the photo: https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/michaelw...hino_visconti/.

The person who said one of the girls in that photo was Betty basically just searched Google for "ballet photos" and specified some date in the 1940s, found one photo, saw a girl she thought resembled Betty, and came to the conclusion that it actually was Betty. I don't think that was very good detective work.
    Some people here think the girl is Betty? That view is not discussed what was discussed was the photo Mr Sodder spoke of in regards to Betty. Who here said this may be Betty? Please...... Don't confuse matters. This photo has been on this forum for years and frankly where or how it originated on the photo thread is a mystery to me. I would like to remind that sleuthing is sleuthing, ideas, discussions .... Relax!
    Last edited by SideKick; 05-17-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Sp
    Anna Christian Waters Web Page
    www.searchingforanna.com

Anna Christian Water's WS Forum
    www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Search FB: Anna Christian Waters
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/annachristianwaters/

Sidekick is correct, the photo is not Betty and I don't think it could possibly have been the photo Mr Sodder says he had. I still can't understand why the photo he spoke of does not appear to exist. Other family members saw it, didn't they? That's why I wonder whether he found the photo himself or if someone gave it to him and said, "Hey, this photo in Look magazine, it looks like your daughter. You should check into it." Does anybody know or remember how he came into possession of the photo?

As TheExorcist noted, the "ballet girls" photo can't possibly have anything to do with this case...but if anyone's interested, you can see a clip of the movie that the still frame was taken from here:

http://youtu.be/cbTuHU-UvRc

Interestingly, the comment below the video says that "the little girl in the first row" is the commenter's mother. Nothing to do with the Sodder case, but I thought it was interesting--

So I posted a pretty long post from a firefighters perspective and now it seems lost. If it shows up somewhere else, let me know. Otherwise I'll try again later...

While I dont have the backgrounds that some on here have in relation to this case, I do have a very keen interest in this case and wish to share a few thoughts.

Some of the circumstances regarding this situation dont make for a clear cut plausible explanation. I think this makes it maddening and intriguing at the same time. I think most of this is due to the relative lack of technology that we have today and really points to how times were different then vs. now.

Take the supposed theft of the block and tackle. For starters, are thieves really going to steal block and tackle on Christmas Eve? Im not suggesting crimes dont occur during a holiday season but it seems unlikely. Additionally, a block and tackle is a somewhat odd item to steal. For the most part, thieves are opportunists and a block and tackle would be heavy and bulky. Additionally, why go through the hassle of cutting a phone line just to steal that? If I was a thief, I would be much more concerned about someone hearing me (and shooting me) rather than having the law called on me.

Plus, we are talking about rural WV. Not to say the police would not do anything but it's much more likely a thief would fear reprisal from the homeowner rather than the police. It just doesnt make sense that someone would take the time to find a ladder, place it up against the house (or telephone pole) just to steal a block and tackle. Wooden ladders for the most part are heavy and unwieldy for one person. From a common sense standpoint, it would seem more likely that one would stand a greater chance of being caught placing a ladder rather than grabbing the block and tackle and tossing it into a truck and getting out of there.

How did the fire start? While it seems easy to chalk this up to faulty wiring, I dont think it should necessarily be attributed to wiring. If it was wiring, it would seem more likely someone overloaded an electrical circuit with Christmas lights on a Christmas tree or some other holiday decorations. I've thought of kids with matches, etc.

So now, focusing on the after math. I find it hard to believe the Italian mafia (or American mafia) had a hand in this is situation. First off, why would the Italian mafia come all the way to WV to settle a score? I was under the impression that the American mafia would supersede them (i.e. it's their "turf"). Not being in the mob I can only speculate but the mob typically enforces their means criminally and opportunistically so if they wanted to send a message, wouldn't they harm George first or make sure he was NOT harmed to allow him to see what happens to his family? That puzzle piece never fit for me.

While a lot of these schemes seem somewhat grandiose I think the truth is often much simpler and mundane. I think the kids did perish in the fire and the law enforcement bungled the case. Today we expect quick answers by experts but back then so much was obviously word of mouth, it seems many details were distorted or simply wrong. It's not a criticism, simply a product of the times. Interviews with people become gospel, people unrelated with the situation become witnesses from something they heard and so and so on.

Additionally, if I'm a Sodder kid that was abducted, why wouldnt I make some attempt to contact my family at some point through the years.

One of the more intriguing points for me at least was the fact that the family kept the vigil literally until their deaths.

I cannot imagine a more horrible fate than to have your children pass in such an awful way. My mind cannot conceive what that must be like. But part of the grieving process is acceptance. Over time, wouldn't one of the parents finally say "Hey, we've done all we can. Maybe it's time to sell the place and move back to Italy (or Boone County or Ohio or New York or wherever). But day after day, month after month, year after year, the billboard (or pire?) had to be an awful mental burden reminding them day after day.

My point is that I think George felt some kind of responsibility in this. I think I would even if for the fact I placed my family in this house regardless of how the fire started. Im not suggesting anything more insidious than that but what seems to be missing is his story. If I was desperately trying to find my kids, I would appeal to every newspaper, radio or other source to tell my story and plead for anyone to come forward. Perhaps it was a cultural difference or otherwise but it simply doesnt add up to me.

I have other thoughts on the matter but was hoping to get some feedback. Thanks everyone who took the time to post, it's very intriguing and definitely compelling even after all these years.

I'm still trying to find out how my mom knew about him. She's been dead many years, and never even knew what the internet was! But she sure knew us well enough, that if we misbehaved, saying the Sodder man was going to get us, would put the fear of God in us. We are in SE Ky.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

I have followed this case on and off for years. I'm still fascinated by it.

Wondering why the parents kept looking their entire lives for their children.... maybe because the alternative (that they had died in the fire) was too painful. Looking for alive children would give them a glimmer of hope?

Quote Originally Posted by carterkatt View Post
    I have followed this case on and off for years. I'm still fascinated by it.

Wondering why the parents kept looking their entire lives for their children.... maybe because the alternative (that they had died in the fire) was too painful. Looking for alive children would give them a glimmer of hope?
    that's likely exactly the case, coupled with the weird actions of some local townsfolks.

it's that hope you have thinking they will come back to you. no bodies to them makes them think they could be alive somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by annoulzz View Post
    it's that hope you have thinking they will come back to you. no bodies to them makes them think they could be alive somewhere.
    exactly. and seemingly little motivation to excavate the site of the fire to look for bones.

I wonder if search and rescue dogs could pick up a scent of remains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2