1256 users online (283 members and 973 guests)  

Websleuths News

WI - Sandra Bertolas, 20, West Allas, 24 April 1988

Sandra Bertolas

Endangered Missing

Missing From: West Allas, Wisconsin

Missing Since: April 24, 1988

Age: 20 -- Height: 5'6" -- Weight: 150-160 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Blue

Sandra, a student and part-time hairdresser, disappeared from Wisconsin in 1988. The night of her disappearance, she was last seen about 8:00 pm by her parents as she left home to meet her boyfriend in a bowling alley. She was going to confront him after learning he had given her a false last name and address and had another steady girlfriend.

Sandra's car was found on April 27, 1988 in the parking lot of the Red Carpet Lanes in West Allis, Wisconsin, but a search of it produced no hard evidence. Investigators believe she was murdered and that her killer is still on the loose. More than 20 sites, including parks, cemeteries and the suspect's family's vacation home, have been searched by bloodhounds, no trace has been found of Bertolas.

Doe Network

Charley Project

25 years later, family of missing woman still looking for closure

Almost 25 years ago, a young woman went to meet an ex-boyfriend and never returned. Now, her family is looking to the public in the hope that someone knows something that can bring them closure.

More: http://fox6now.com/2013/04/22/25-yea...g-for-closure/

Details updated 7/4/2013

Details of Disappearance

Bertolas was last seen sometime in 1988 at the Red Carpet Lanes bowling alley in the 10900 block of west Lapham Street in West Allis, Wisconsin. She was planning to confront her boyfriend; as she found out he had been seeing someone else and also that he had given her a false last name and home address. Bertolas has never been seen again. Her vehicle, which was her prized possession, was found abandoned in the parking lot of the Red Carpet Lanes on April 27. No evidence as to her fate was located inside the car.

Police believe foul play was involved in Bertolas's case, possibly at the hands of her boyfriend, who now works as a firefighter. Prosecutors conducted a 21-month John Doe probe into the case in 2002 and over fifty witnesses testified, but the probe concluded without any charges being filed, due to insufficient evidence.

Bertolas, the youngest of eight children, resided with her parents in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin at the time of her disappearance. She was a student at Waukesha County Technical College and workedpart time as a beautician at a Cost Cutters hair salon in 1988. Her father died in 2010, but the rest of her family is still alive and hope she'll be found. Her loved ones believe she's deceased and have purchased a cemetery plot for her next to her father's grave.
    Last edited by Hilda Swenson; 07-06-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: link added

Menomonee Falls woman missing for nearly three decades

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/Me...231222461.html

By Yona Gavino
    CREATED NOV. 8, 2013 - UPDATED: NOV. 8, 2013

MENOMONEE FALLS - The story of Kelly Dwyer, and now Kathryn Stalbaum, hits very close to home for this family. Sandra Bertolas was last seen in 1988. Now, almost three decades later, they're still coping with the pain of not knowing where she is.
    Video at link

Probably the best summary of this case is here;

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic...s-wi-04241988/

The comments are very informative. The strangest thing about this case is the total anonymity of the boyfriend, despite all the focus on him. I am usually pretty good at searches to identify people but the only information I have found is that his surname is Smith (and I assume that is his real rather than assumed name). I am not sure if there are any legal constraints on identifying him which may be the reason for the blackout. It is quite obvious that the name must be well known in the area, which makes it even more surprising it has not leaked. Given that publicity is often a source of new information it seems unhelpful to conceal the only suspects identity. Having said that I have rarely seen a family or LE do more to try to solve a case.

Re: Sandra Bertolas

Quote Originally Posted by alb1on View Post
    Probably the best summary of this case is here;

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic...s-wi-04241988/

The comments are very informative. The strangest thing about this case is the total anonymity of the boyfriend, despite all the focus on him. I am usually pretty good at searches to identify people but the only information I have found is that his surname is Smith (and I assume that is his real rather than assumed name). I am not sure if there are any legal constraints on identifying him which may be the reason for the blackout. It is quite obvious that the name must be well known in the area, which makes it even more surprising it has not leaked. Given that publicity is often a source of new information it seems unhelpful to conceal the only suspects identity. Having said that I have rarely seen a family or LE do more to try to solve a case.
    I didn't see any comments. Where did you find out the surname is Smith? I agree. His name should be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyk63 View Post
    I didn't see any comments. Where did you find out the surname is Smith? I agree. His name should be out there.
    If you go to this link http://mediamilwaukee.com/features/s...-not-forgotten you will see a video at the top of the article. The still at the start of the video is from a newspaper article from some time after the disappearance (it says that the PI had been investigating for some years) and names the boyfriend as Smith. You can read a bit more by running the video. The boyfriend was represented (at the time of the Jane Doe hearing) by a lawyer called Patrick Knight.
    Last edited by alb1on; 12-24-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: more info