WA WA - Earl Cossey, 71, Woodinville, 23 April 2013

Kodiak

Reaction score
I can't believe this.

Earl Cossey, a former junior high school teacher of mine in my hometown of Woodinville, Washington (an east side suburb outside Seattle) was found dead by his daughter last night in his garage. Police found head trauma and have declared as of today that the case is officially a homicide.

Mr. Cossey was also a professional parachute jumper and was involved in the 1971 DB Cooper case. He was one of two men who supplied parachutes for the FBI to give to Cooper at Sea-Tac airport during the Thanksgiving Eve skyjacking.

I had him in 7th grade for my Airsports class... were he taught us about the history and engineering of planes and rockets, and we built them as models. And he was so passionate when he told us his story about be being involved in the Cooper case. He also showed us the old 70's DB Cooper episode of "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy that also featured Cossey explaining the parachutes and Cooper's jump.

He was a very friendly man and had a great sense of humor. He always had us laughing. My sisters and I are shocked by the news of this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. He will be truly missed.

And I hope his killer is brought to justice soon!

News Article and Video: http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/local/police-woodinville-mans-death-suspicious/nXZLK/

I can't believe this.

Earl Cossey, a former junior high school teacher of mine in my hometown of Woodinville, Washington (an east side suburb outside Seattle) was found dead by his daughter last night in his garage. Police found head trauma and have declared as of today that the case is officially a homicide.

Mr. Cossey was also a professional parachute jumper and was involved in the 1971 DB Cooper case. He was one of two men who supplied parachutes for the FBI to give to Cooper at Sea-Tac airport during the Thanksgiving Eve skyjacking.

I had him in 7th grade for my Airsports class... were he taught us about the history and engineering of planes and rockets, and we built them as models. And he was so passionate when he told us his story about be being involved in the Cooper case. He also showed us the old 70's DB Cooper episode of "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy that also featured Cossey explaining the parachutes and Cooper's jump.

He was a very friendly man and had a great sense of humor. He always had us laughing. My sisters and I are shocked by the news of this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. He will be truly missed.

News Article and Video: http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/local/police-woodinville-mans-death-suspicious/nXZLK/

Yes, this is shocking unwelcome news -

Above you say: "He was one of two men who supplied parachutes for the
FBI to give to Cooper ..."

Do you happen to remember who the other person was? Would it have
been someone named "Hayden" who provided another chute? Did Earl
explain this in his lecture(s)?

I think it's wonderful you had him as a teacher.

Let me also ask this since I'm here: "Did Earl say anything about the recently discovered parachute at Amboy, that he evidently evaluated for the FBI ? Did he mention this in any recent class?

Thanks and good luck.
G.

Yes, this is shocking unwelcome news -

Above you say: "He was one of two men who supplied parachutes for the
FBI to give to Cooper ..."

Do you happen to remember who the other person was? Would it have
been someone named "Hayden" who provided another chute? Did Earl
explain this in his lecture(s)?

I think it's wonderful you had him as a teacher.

Let me also ask this since I'm here: "Did Earl say anything about the recently discovered parachute at Amboy, that he evidently evaluated for the FBI ? Did he mention this in any recent class?

Thanks and good luck.
G.

It was so long ago when he told the story to my class, but I don't think he mentioned a name if I recall... he just mentioned a guy in the south end. I think the guy might be mentioned in Norjack by Himmelsbach. He sent me a signed copy of the book several years ago... Tosaw sent me a signed copy of his, too. I could go back and try and reference them to see if the guy's name was mentioned.

I hadn't kept up with any of the Cooper stuff in recent years, so I have no clue to the Amboy chute or if he recently had commented on it.

I contacted Cossey by phone ten years ago. We were going to meet in town over coffee to discuss the case. He was excited to do so, but the strange thing was he never called me back to set up a time and date. I called him again and left a message and never heard back. It would have been interesting to hear what he had to say all these years later... especially to a former student.

I can't believe this.

Sorry to hear about Mr Cossey's murder it must be awful for something horrific to happen to someone you know or knew. I hope they find his killer soon. The db cooper case is a real mystery.

Sorry to hear about Mr Cossey's murder it must be awful for something horrific to happen to someone you know or knew. I hope they find his killer soon. The db cooper case is a real mystery.

Thank you, gregjrichards.

My family and I have been talking about this the entire weekend. Our heads are reeling over it. My mother reminded she was going to contact our former neighbors in Woodinville who moved put out of state in 1992. The family's wife was friends with Cossey and knew his kids. In fact, during the time I was taking his Airsports class in jr. high, I babysat her kids after school. One of his kids was in a school play she was directing and I babysat. She spoke fondly of Mr. Cossey and his family. His poor family. My heart goes out to them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back