Located obit of "missing" person.. what's going on?

lucidtx

Western CO
Reaction score
Sorry - not sure the best place to post this. I stumbled across it checking missing cases vs an UID. I'll be contacting Provo and or Utah BCI tomorrow to see if I can get a hold of anyone with the ability to update this. I sent an email to Provo just to get a jump on it.

Missing: Marty Ray Townsend, 55, from Provo, UT 6/10/12. Entered 7/10/12
NamUs
Utah Clearinghouse

Obituary: Marty Ray Townsend, 55 died 7/11/12 in Provo UT and cremated.

I'm just wondering if this is a common problem.... if they just failed to remove the information from NamUs and their Clearinghouse or if somehow the death and missing person's case weren't connected... which would be interesting considering he apparently died in the same city that he was reported missing in. I guess the obit and missing case could be a coincidence but I highly doubt it. Who has the responsibility/authority to remove a missing person's case from NamUs? I know family or LE or whoever can add...

Sometimes cases get missed on Namus, claimus and missing report sites. Whoever loaded the case has forgotten to update.. Yes it happens a lot, sometimes it is hard for me to rely on Claimus because updates are not available as often as we need and sometimes it does cause unnecessary work. I always call ME to let them know that the cases have not been updated.
Since you have sent an email, attach the obit with it, which I am sure you did. Great catch.

Sorry - not sure the best place to post this. I stumbled across it checking missing cases vs an UID. I'll be contacting Provo and or Utah BCI tomorrow to see if I can get a hold of anyone with the ability to update this. I sent an email to Provo just to get a jump on it.

Missing: Marty Ray Townsend, 55, from Provo, UT 6/10/12. Entered 7/10/12
NamUs
Utah Clearinghouse

Obituary: Marty Ray Townsend, 55 died 7/11/12 in Provo UT and cremated.

I'm just wondering if this is a common problem.... if they just failed to remove the information from NamUs and their Clearinghouse or if somehow the death and missing person's case weren't connected... which would be interesting considering he apparently died in the same city that he was reported missing in. I guess the obit and missing case could be a coincidence but I highly doubt it. Who has the responsibility/authority to remove a missing person's case from NamUs? I know family or LE or whoever can add...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back