1095 users online (163 members and 932 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 Yr. Old Arrested

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150866,00.html

Girl, 5, Cuffed, Arrested, Thrown in Police CarFriday, March 18, 2005
    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. A 5-year-old girl was arrested, cuffed and put in back of a police cruiser after an outburst at school where she threw books and boxes, kicked a teacher in the shins, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach and drew on the walls.

The students were counting jelly beans as part of a math exercise at Fairmount Park Elementary School (search) when the little girl began acting silly. That's when her teacher took away her jelly beans, outraging the child.

Minutes later, the 40-pound girl was in the back of a police cruiser, under arrest for battery. Her hands were bound with plastic ties, her ankles in handcuffs.

"I don't want to go to jail," she said moments after her arrest Monday.
    No charges were filed and the girl went home with her mother.

SEE LINK FOR STORY

I'm speechless.

Here's The Problem

The girl's mother, Inda Akins, said she is consulting an attorney.

"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."

I don't think the girl was "set up" but arresting a 5 year old? That is excessive. They should have just called her mother to come to the school. I have a 6 year old and if they were to do that to him, I would be livid!! My three year old has behavioral issues and I understand the frustration that it causes, but there are ways to handle it besides intimidation.

That's actually not a bad idea. Nip these abusive tendancies in the butt right away. I bet she doesn't pull a stunt like that again! They didn't hurt her or anything, just gave her a good scare. If she were a teenager everyone would be saying it was good idea for her to be "scared straight".

No offense, but where do you people think kids learn these behaviors are acceptable in the first place? (No offense to parents who have children with behavioral issues due to psychological problems) Her mother now wants to sue the school?

Kind of reminds me of that obese woman who wanted to sue McDonalds for her son being fat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker
    That's actually not a bad idea. Nip these abusive tendancies in the butt right away. I bet she doesn't pull a stunt like that again! They didn't hurt her or anything, just gave her a good scare. If she were a teenager everyone would be saying it was good idea for her to be "scared straight".

No offense, but where do you people think kids learn these behaviors are acceptable in the first place? (No offense to parents who have children with behavioral issues due to psychological problems) Her mother now wants to sue the school?

Kind of reminds me of that obese woman who wanted to sue McDonalds for her son being fat.....

She's got "one of those parents" though Seeker. One of those "my child didn't - wouldn't" parents. How can anyone in their right mind think that a school and the police "set up" a five year old to throw a temper tantrum on cue and then arrest her???? She's probably going to collect a nice little out of court settlement and this kid will be a drain on the insurance companies for the rest of her life, thanks to dear old mom.

Boy, I see another disorder individual in the making.

Most kids have tantrums. Couldn't the grown up teachers cope with the situation? Couldn't they stop the girl and punish her in a logical way, as always has been done? Are they disabled or someting? Couldn't they talk to her, later, when the tantrum were off, and do their work (they are "educators", aren't they?)The idea of this little girl being handcufed is obscene; you would think about these kinds of things in some radical islamic countries, but not in America. What has happened it's not going to "help" the girl, but to spoil her even more, as any psycologist can tell you if you ask.

I would sue too, to be sure that something similar won't happen again.

I wonder if there's more to this story. I wonder if the child really has been so horrid all year (this is nearing the end of the school year) that the teacher in fact DID set her up to have a miserable wretched tantrum of this proportion so she could get kicked out of the public school. I have seen cases where a child seems completely unworkable, and rather than trying hard to make things better the school begins the process of documenting violent behavior and documenting strategies that have been tried and have failed, until they've reached enough to legally expel a child. And really, who blames them in some cases.

I'm sure the school isn't falling all over themselves to have this kid back. A child who will kick a principal in the shins has no limits to their behavior whatsoever. Whatsoever. Can you IMAGINE doing that? Kicking a principal in the shins?

It may be that the mother is in for a huge education now that she's pulled her child out of public school. GOOD LUCK trying to find a private school who will take her, and then she's left with homeschooling her.

Lordy.

OK, I gotta put my 2 cents in on this one. I am speaking from experience, 20 some years of LE experience to be exact. I will never forget the night that I arrested a 6 year old little boy. It took 3 officers to restrain him. That was after he had broken his Fathers nose, his collar bone & 2 ribs! Oh yes, he was quite a little angel. The previous night he had tried to kill his little sister with a butcher knife. Another night Mommy & Daddy woke up to him standing over them with the butcher knife. Mommy had a beautiful imprint of his teeth on her arm plus he had hit her in the head swinging a telephone. Don't be so quick to think that they should have just called for her parents to come and get her. These parents that I refer to were begging us to take their little darling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain
    Most kids have tantrums. Couldn't the grown up teachers cope with the situation? Couldn't they stop the girl and punish her in a logical way, as always has been done? Are they disabled or someting? Couldn't they talk to her, later, when the tantrum were off, and do their work (they are "educators", aren't they?)The idea of this little girl being handcufed is obscene; you would think about these kinds of things in some radical islamic countries, but not in America. What has happened it's not going to "help" the girl, but to spoil her even more, as any psycologist can tell you if you ask.

I would sue too, to be sure that something similar won't happen again.

This sounds like a job for Super Nanny, not the police.
    Gimme a break!

Shadow--

Just curious. This sounds like something I have seen on TV about early childhood bipolar disorder or some other mental-type problem. What ever happened to that child? Can you tell us?

Thanks in advance.

Opie,

I honestly don't know what happened to him. That was about 3 years ago and I have since retired. I know at the time he received treatment at a mental health facility.What I saw that night was more than a temper tantrum, this child regardless of his age was a danger to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker

Most of these kids have ADD or learning problems and that is why they are so frustrated to begin with. No child wants to displease or be in trouble all the time at age 5! Taking the child's jelly beans was not good to begin with. This was like taking a book or learning away. The teacher obviously doesn't know how to handle kids. Also, this episode could scar the child because everyone who has any kids or read any educational material knows that children think literally. The poor little girl must have thought that she would NEVER see her mother or anyone she loved ever again and would be taken to jail forever. This is child abuse. I'm getting so sick of the stories I read online , I am considering not reading anymore. This type of ignorant stuff never happens in the town I live in. It's really sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    OK, I gotta put my 2 cents in on this one. I am speaking from experience, 20 some years of LE experience to be exact. I will never forget the night that I arrested a 6 year old little boy. It took 3 officers to restrain him. That was after he had broken his Fathers nose, his collar bone & 2 ribs! Oh yes, he was quite a little angel. The previous night he had tried to kill his little sister with a butcher knife. Another night Mommy & Daddy woke up to him standing over them with the butcher knife. Mommy had a beautiful imprint of his teeth on her arm plus he had hit her in the head swinging a telephone. Don't be so quick to think that they should have just called for her parents to come and get her. These parents that I refer to were begging us to take their little darling.
    That is a very extreme case. I don't think that was the case with the little girl though. My three year old has horrible tantrums and if you try to grab him, he will kick, scream, and bite. I have to talk softly but firmly to him until he calms down so that I can pick him up and put him in his time out chair. If someone was to grab him in the middle of his tantrum, which is probably what the grownups did instead of trying to calm her first, they would probably get head butted to say the least. Either way, I don't think that handcuffing her is going to help in the long run. And the teacher should have tried redirecting the childs attention back to the task at hand or other tactics before taking the beans.

TxVicki - did you read the longer article, where the reporter went to the girl's home? There were three kids in the home, one was riding a bicycle with a missing training wheel through the home while the reporter was trying to talk, all three kids were running in and out of the room the whole time, even the older kids, the girl kicked the COPS and had to be leg cuffed in the car. The mother stated some of the trouble started when she told the Vice Principal to stay away from her child. THe picture here, is total chaos. Who is this mother, telling a vice principal to STAY AWAY from her kid? Who is this child who will kick a police officer?

It sounds to me like it's mostly the upbringing, this girl has no limits whatsoever. I think I'd pass out cold on the floor if my child kicked a teacher and then a cop, especially given that these cops had calm and caring demeanors, and were trying to talk to her. Kicking him. Lordy, lordy.

I think some kind of intervention needs to be done in that home so these kids have a shot at a normal life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast