Oregon Police Officer Jason Servo Fired For Drunk Driving Sues, Claiming Alcoholism A

Oregon Police Officer Jason Servo Fired For Drunk Driving Sues, Claiming Alcoholism A Disability

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...k-driving-sues-claiming-alcoholism-disability

The lawsuit is seeking $6 million in damages from the city of Gresham.

Alleging his rights were violated under the Americans with Disability Act, Servo, 43, says the city cannot fire him.

Wow....I'm actually speechless and that is very rare for me, a motor mouth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What a desperate act--I guess utilizing the very nice health benefits he had to help himself before he got fired never occurred to him. I hate when very good laws meant to help people are abused by those they aren't meant for.

No where in the history of medical conditions has alcoholism ever been considered a disability.

Mental disorder? Yes. But mental disorders rarely pass for disabilities.

Okay, CHIT like this really burns my chaps.

“Just as with any type of disability or disease, they should have made some kind of effort to accommodate that, or some kind of effort to work with him, and not simply sever all ties,” one of his attorneys in the suit, Shawn Kollie said.

yeah, I want an admitted alcoholic, and an unapologetic one at that, carrying a gun and in charge of my public safety.

Ridiculous. People would seriously be pizzed and outraged if they knew how many able bodied people were collecting disability benefits because their disease is alcoholism.

Every recovering person I have ever spoken to about this subject is also outraged by this entitlement program.

And now, according to this suit we should all just "work around" someones issues which make them completely inappropriate for the job at hand?

WTH!

:furious:

No where in the history of medical conditions has alcoholism ever been considered a disability.

Mental disorder? Yes. But mental disorders rarely pass for disabilities.

Alcoholism is not a mental disorder, it is a disease. It is genetically based. No one can change their DNA but they can seek proper medical help to recover from the addiction. No one knows whether they have it in their DNA until they find them self addicted. Not every baby inherits the gene...some do, some don't but no one gets to choose their genetic make up.

I agree that no one who is currently addicted to alcohol should be allowed to stay on the job as an LE officer. It is up to the afflicted person to seek help and do whatever it takes to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they had fired him because they learned he was seeking treatment for alcoholism, I would probably agree with him.

But that isn't what happened. He broke a law. A law that he has probably made many arrests for. Did he check with the people he arrested, to see if they were alcoholics? Did he give them a break? How about those who caused accidents? Did they get a break because they were alcoholics?

I don't think his suit stands a chance. I think he just has a vendetta against who he worked for and this is payback.

Did he admit to his alcoholism on his job application?

Did he admit to his alcoholism on his job application?

Oh for goodness sake! Putting that on a job application would be completely inappropriate! Alcoholism is not a choice, it is not immoral or illegal! It is a disease!

Many people have alcoholism who don't drink at all, ever! It is just like being diabetic or having a seizure disorder or being genetically predisposed to cardiovascular disease. Diabetics and people prone to heart disease have to eat and exercise responsibly for the rest of their life. If you have uncontrollable seizures you cant drive. Alcoholics have to voluntarily choose to overcome the addiction with proper medical supervision and choose to abstain from alcohol for the rest of their life.

Drinking and driving is immoral and illegal. Breaking any law while you are drunk is immoral and illegal. Being an alcoholic is only a problem if you drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back