1262 users online (268 members and 994 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Couple claim their sick five-month-old boy was taken away by police simply because...

I find this story horrifying. Quick summary: Mom and Dad take baby to hospital. Staff there make some mistakes, parents become concerned, express their concern to staff and take baby from that hospital immediately to another hospital for a second opinion. Previous hospital calls CPS and now their baby is taken away.....even though the second hospital gave an "ok" for the baby to go home.

It is a long read and there is a video interview towards the bottom.
    A California couple had their five-month-old baby “snatched” by police after they took the infant to get a second opinion on a medical procedure, they claim.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...hare%20Buttons
    Here is a video of them being interviewed by a local NBC station
    http://bcove.me/mxawz73v

What do you think? Im mortified at it all. Mortified that CPS has such scary powers over parents!! Reminds me of this recent MSNBC video
    http://youtu.be/29FhZ5Dseec

[sorry, I do not know how to embed videos]
    [ETA....if this thread is in the wrong place, please move :/ ]
    dum spiro, spero

I have a friend who's baby was taken away because 1 doctor who saw him 1 time, said she starved him.

6 other doctors who have seen the child since birth and other medical experts...
    have documented the babies medical issues and proven why he doesn't gain weight.

The baby has made no improvements since taken out of her custody.

But that one doctor... was enough for CPS to take the baby.
    After 6 months, no improvement... and $50,000, she is still fighting to get him back full time.

So yes, I believe it.
    There may be more to the story but I certainly believe it's possible.

I feel as if there is more to the story...sitting on my hands for now.

http://www.news10.net/video/default....TPAGE|featured

Sounds like the parents have him back but are not totally out of the woods. They have another court date on May 28. They must allow CPS to visit them when the child returns home and agree not to take him out of the hospital against medical advice. The baby will be sent to Stanford Medical Center for a second opinion. They can visit him whenever they want.

Add article:
    http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...Medical-Center
    The court also ruled Monday the parents must following all medical advice from now on, including not taking their child from Stanford without proper discharge.

A county social worker will make regular house visits to check on Sammy once he is returned home.
    Last edited by BuzzieCat; 04-30-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

I took my child away from a hospital 1 time against medical advice, because I did not agree, and felt bullied. They did the same thing, called cps. Fortunately, my child was never taken from me, but I believe it could happen. It was a very scary time for our family.

And demanding that parents follow ALL MEDICAL ADVICE? seriously?!?!?!?!? That is way beyond...... A parent has a right to their childs medical care, yes there are extreme cases that someone should step in to help a child, but these parents don't seem to be against care, instead they are proactive, getting second, third etc opinions is very important, espescially when you have a baby with a heart condition. IMO

Who on earth is behind The Blaze? Stories about raging Chechens, late term abortions and vilifying Muslims...
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

I understand why the hospital made the referral to CPS. The child was ill and the parents removed him while he still needed medical care.

I have trouble believing that if they told CPS that they took the child to another hospital, that the social worker didn't check with the other hospital. It's really not that I don't believe they didn't check, it is just hard for me to understand why they wouldn't.

But that is kind of the problem with CPS. They either go overboard, or they don't go far enough. And the kids pay.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I understand why the hospital made the referral to CPS. The child was ill and the parents removed him while he still needed medical care.

I have trouble believing that if they told CPS that they took the child to another hospital, that the social worker didn't check with the other hospital. It's really not that I don't believe they didn't check, it is just hard for me to understand why they wouldn't.

But that is kind of the problem with CPS. They either go overboard, or they don't go far enough. And the kids pay.
    I believe it's a matter of CPS taking the path of least resistance, just like water. If they can get a case like this one, where the parents removed the child from the hospital, even though they went to another, then, big whoop, have a case they think they can win and show how caring and in charge they are. Imagine that!. This is your tax dollars and mine at work, but does it work well? I think not, ALL the way around.

We need a complete overhaul of our child protective services. In the long run, it may be cheaper and more efficient.

Edited to add: Maybe the parents who provide NO health care to their children are smarter. At least CPS leaves them alone until the child dies, and even then, CPS says they saw no signs of abuse.

I used to think the age we're living in was the age of love, now I'm beginning to wonder if "confusion" isn't the rule of the day. 'Course that's only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post

I had a heart murmur throughout my childhood. Doctor said I would outgrow it, and I did, the same with some of my own children. A heart murmur? Really? Surgery? Really? Dollars? Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I had a heart murmur throughout my childhood. Doctor said I would outgrow it, and I did, the same with some of my own children. A heart murmur? Really? Surgery? Really? Dollars? Really.
    Heart murmurs don't usually equal surgery - that's why some of us seem to understand that there is a LOT of information that is missing in this story.

It's told from the parents' point of view, they would of course neglect to mention anything that would put their "care" in a bad light.
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Not all heart murmurs just go away. They're not all caused by the same thing. Many pictures of the child show him with a feeding tube. He was in the PICU when the parents took him out of the hospital. I'm not saying the hospital did everything right, far from it, but I highly doubt they put a baby in the PICU on a whim or just for money. JMO.

The child was also having flu symptoms.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

In the story, the first doctor advised against the parents getting a "second opinion" on the heart surgery. That's always a red flag.

Good doctors don't have a problem with patients getting second opinions, most will usually help by providing files, test results, etc. Any time a doctor refuses to allow a patient to get a second opinion or refuses to collaborate with other docs, especially on a serious medical issue or procedure, find a new doctor pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty P View Post
    In the story, the first doctor advised against the parents getting a "second opinion" on the heart surgery. That's always a red flag.

Good doctors don't have a problem with patients getting second opinions, most will usually help by providing files, test results, etc. Any time a doctor refuses to allow a patient to get a second opinion or refuses to collaborate with other docs, especially on a serious medical issue or procedure, find a new doctor pronto.
    I think something is shady about that doctor who does not allow a second opinion.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by Hejlena View Post
    I feel as if there is more to the story...sitting on my hands for now.
    I think there is enough information. Why would police be involved?

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast