GA - "Do not drink" order for hundreds in Murray County, FBI investigating

SurfieTX

Reaction score
The water treatment plant in Ramhurst is temporarily shut down after someone broke in and changed the chemical settings.

It's affecting about 400 Murray County residents. Local, state and federal officials are investigating who's to blame. Officials with Chatsworth Water Works say the source of the problems is at the Carter's Lake Water Treatment Plant in the Ramhurst area.

Saturday workers noticed someone had changed some chemical settings. First, officials issued a "boil advisory" but the Environmental Protection Department bumped it up to a total "do not drink" order and shut down the plant until they're certain it's safe for the public to consume. It could be a few more days.

~~~

Officials say someone tampered with the chlorine and fluoride settings at the Carter's Lake Water Treatment Plant.

"That could be considered a terroristic act," Smith said.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the FBI are investigating.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/2211081...ent-plant-breakin-do-not-drink-order-in-place

Thanks for this thread, Surfietx. This is my hometown and I have family there. Had not heard anything about it. Will check in with my Dad.

I'm hoping it was vandalism or a prank rather than practice for the big time.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/us/georgia-water-tamper/index.html

There were no signs of forced entry at the plant, which had no video surveillance, Smith told CNN. Locks have since been changed.
The perpetrator appeared to be knowledgeable about the operation, officials said.
The FBI was called to assist state and local authorities, said Atlanta special agent Stephen Emmett.
"It is our understanding, however, that there were no harmful releases resulting from this tampering of settings," Emmett said. "While there were no threats associated with this break-in, the FBI was called in out of an abundance of caution."

I wonder how much the chemical levels were changed and how dangerous the water would have been to residents if the changes had not been discovered in time to prevent it from getting out.

I think every place-facility, business, office, store...everything-should have video surveillance these days.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back