American woman credited with saving 3 in Everest standoff with Sherpas at 23,000 ft.

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Wow. Good story, with sidebar, pictures, at Daily Mail:

Revealed: The female American climber, 29, who heroically broke up vicious
fight between 'more than 100 Sherpas and three hikers with calm talk and hand holding'

As more than 100 enraged Sherpas allegedly threw stones and death threats at three foreign hikers atop the world's tallest mountain it was a petite American woman who's credited for breaking up the fight through discussion and hand holding alone.

Melissa Arnot, a professional mountain guide from Idaho holding the women's world record for number of Mt Everest summits, has revealed passive discussion as preventing the dramatic violence from turning deadly.

'I wasn't trying to be heroic,' Mrs Arnot, 29, recounted to ABC News of her selfless effort after stepping between the scores of angry men on Saturday. 'But I do think my presence prevented some violence.'
---
The Sherpas accused the foreign hikers of kicking ice down on them and breaking mountain etiquette by stepping over their ropes, leading to the violence confrontation.
---
much more at the link

There's a lot of racial stereotyping in that article. "Sherpas are not angry people" or "Sherpas are easily rallied", etc.

I think if outsiders want to come in and climb Everest, they need to be extremely respectful of the local community, and do things their way. They are outsiders, they can't just come in and treat the Sherpas as merely pack mules there to do the Westerners' bidding. Not saying this is what the Euro guys did, but I think and abundance of respect needs to be shown to the Sherpas.

Wouldnt be the first time tourists in ANY area have been disrespectful and annoying to the locals lol.

Not enough to know Sir Edmund Hillary. One must also know Tenzing Norgay.

Interview with Simon Moro. Arrogant, I mean, interesting. Jmo
"And I told him, we are lucky, because you didn't kill me, and I didn't react. I have nothing against you. I hope it was a bad day for you. But I don't want to make any legal action. I could send a lot of people to prison. But I decided to show to everybody that I don't hate anybody, and I don't want to destroy the life of any young stupid Sherpa."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-everest-fight-simone-moro-interview-sherpas/

Getting into an altercation on a wall of ice is dangerous no matter who was at fault. Maybe too many at one time are allowed, and what an awful job for young Sherpas to have to take. I wonder if it pays well or is the only work available.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back