OK OK - Shirley 'Joann' Snow, 36, Tulsa, 23 May 1975

Cagle

Reaction score
http://5newsonline.com/2013/04/30/search-begins-for-body-of-woman-missing-since-1975/

Franklin County Deputies and members of the Federal Bureau of Investigation are searching an area of the county for the remains of an Oklahoma woman who went missing in 1975.

The search began Tuesday for a woman who disappeared from the Tulsa area nearly 40 years ago (April 30), according to Franklin County Sheriff Anthony Boen.

Authorities say the victim is Shirley Joann Banning, who also went by the name Shirley Joann Snow.

Her family, who called her Joann Snow, says she went missing from Tulsa County, Okla., May 23, 1975. Her older sister, Pauline Norman, says she remembers the day her sister went missing.

Norman also says the family believes her sister’s boyfriend, Alex Banning Sr., who Joann called ‘Ace’ was behind her disappearance.

“She never did come back home,” Norman said. “We always knew Ace killed her, I always knew. She told me one time, she said, ‘Pauline, if I ever come up dead, you know Ace has killed me and buried me someplace.’”

A missing persons report shows Snow was last seen in the Broken Arrow area with Banning. The mother of three told her family that she was going to Arkansas with her boyfriend.

Authorities say they now have reason to believe that her body was dumped in a well in Franklin County. The property being searched currently in Franklin County is owned by relatives of Banning, according to both the victim’s family and Boen.

“Some informants gave us some information that our missing person might be buried in a well up here in [Franklin] county,” Cpl. Kyle Hess, with Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office.

Last week Boen brought in two cadaver dogs, both of which picked up a hit on a well located just off of Highway 23 South near the Logan County line.

Authorities did name Banning as a suspect after Snow went missing, but charges were never filed. Banning died of a heart attack in 1993 while he was in prison serving time for unrelated charges, according to authorities.

Tim Snow, the victim’s youngest son, is satisfied he might finally learn what led to his mother’s death and get some sort of closure, according to Tulsa County deputies.

“[We were] real close and we wanted some kind of closing, but didn’t actually want it to be this way,” Norman said. “We were a close family and it’s been really sad for the whole family.”

“We’re just waiting to see what they find and if she’s gone, hoping it’s her so we can just put a closure on this,” Norman said. “I mean, I dream about her all the time [hoping] she comes home.”

Authorities say nothing was discovered during the initial search, but that they are working to obtain a search warrant for an adjacent piece of property, which they say also belongs to Banning’s relatives. Once they have that, they will continue the search for Snow’s remains, according to Boen.

The Charley Project web page for Shirley has incorrect information. It mistakenly says that she disappeared from Broken Bow, OK. She disappeared from Broken Arrow in Tulsa County. Broken Bow is over 200 miles away from there, in McCurtain County.

Charley Project page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/banning_shirley.html

I'm not sure how you go about getting things corrected there.

The Charley Project web page for Shirley has incorrect information. It mistakenly says that she disappeared from Broken Bow, OK. She disappeared from Broken Arrow in Tulsa County. Broken Bow is over 200 miles away from there, in McCurtain County.

Charley Project page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/banning_shirley.html

I'm not sure how you go about getting things corrected there.

I read the news articles posted here and it seems that the last place she was seen was in Tulsa. One article states that there was a missing person report that stated that she was last seen in Broken Arrow with Banning. I wonder who filed the MP report? Who saw her there, I wonder? One article her son stated she dropped him off at school and then got her hair done at a Tulsa strip mall and then a couple of days later his aunt got a call from her and she did not sound right, said she was somewhere but the aunt could not understand where.

Anyway..here is the front page of the Charley Project. Just click on "Contact Meaghan" to send her an email.

http://www.charleyproject.org/

Well IMO this woman looks like the sketch of the person who abducted Melissa Highsmith. Wonder if Banning made her. You know Franklin Floyd was living in Oklahoma around this time, wonder if Floyd and BNning knew each other. Maybe this is what got her killed.

Well IMO this woman looks like the sketch of the person who abducted Melissa Highsmith. Wonder if Banning made her. You know Franklin Floyd was living in Oklahoma around this time, wonder if Floyd and BNning knew each other. Maybe this is what got her killed.

Im inclined to believe they probably did know eack other!

http://5newsonline.com/2013/04/30/search-begins-for-body-of-woman-missing-since-1975/ Authorities say nothing was discovered during the initial search, but that they are working to obtain a search warrant for an adjacent piece of property, which they say also belongs to Banning’s relatives. Once they have that, they will continue the search for Snow’s remains, according to Boen.

I wonder why there aren't any updates on the search on this adjacent property. At least none I've found.

In this space of time, Southeast Tulsa and Broken Arrow run smoothly and seamlessly together. Back when she disappeared, the remote places a body could have been buried between Mingo Road and Broken Arrow are too numerous to count. Why she would have been transported to Arkansas escapes me. Her original burial spot, if in the area she was last seen, has probably been built over by now. In the 1970's this was farmland, remote and rural. Now it is completely suburban. From a Recency Park kid and proud Union Redskin 1970-1976.

I want to say Thank you for starting this forum and letting others know my Grandmothers story. We still haven't had anymore leads into what happened to her. Its sad to know that we have a clue to where they put her body but we cant get to it. It breaks my heart to see my father living with the fact he was the last one to see her alive in the family. Yesterday she would have been 78 years old. She would have seen her boys have kids and watch her grand kids have great grands. None of us grandkids or our children will have the chance to know her. But i will not give up on the search for my Grandmother. I want that closure for my Father, my Uncle, my great-aunt, and my entire family. i hope more people read this and help us with our search to getting the closure and finally getting her a proper burial/memorial.

So I'm really wondering who the informant might be
who served time with Ace Bannings Son, Linda I there a way to find out if he WAS in with Floyd? because this is the same time frame that the FBI got Floyd to give up the info on Suzanne's Mother? and another interesting thing the Franklin County property is not too far (I'm from that area) From Springdale where Rebecca Barr was (in one of the threads on Suzanne)

I don't know how we could find out other than asking Floyd! Ace died in prison and Shirley is missing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photos and articles courtesy of NamUs
Shirley Banning6.png Shirley Banning5.png Shirley Banning7.png

Current list of Unidentified Person exclusions for Shirley per Namus:

UP5556 05/30/1976 Virginia Beach VA
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP4909 06/22/1982 Custer OK
UP4898 04/16/1981 Cleveland OK
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP6150 11/07/1998 Stafford VA

Attachments

• Shirley Banning4.png
    Shirley Banning4.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Shirley Banning3.png
    Shirley Banning3.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Shirley Banning2.png
    Shirley Banning2.png
    328.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Shirley Banning1.png
    Shirley Banning1.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 7
Linda Nicholas-Banning ex wife of Alexander "Ace" unfortunately passed October 2009. From accounts I have heard Shirley and Ace were never married. Ace was a very evil main and brainwashed many young girls and women.

Last edited:

This is another case in which we will never know what happened... probably the boyfriend is the murderer, having a history of abuse and mistreatment, it is easy to deduce but there is no way to prove it because he was blessed with death... I don't know if this is true. woman would be a saint but at least the family deserves to know where she is and bury her...
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge