Evidence of cannibalism found at James Fort, earliest part of Jamestown colony

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
'Proof' Jamestown settlers turned to cannibalism (BBC News)
Newly discovered human bones prove the first permanent British settlers in North America turned to cannibalism over the cruel winter of 1609, US researchers have said.

Scientists found unusual cuts consistent with butchering for meat on human bones dumped in a rubbish pit.

The four-century-old skull and tibia of a teenage girl in James Fort, Virginia, was excavated from the dump last year.
---
The Starvation Time was one of the most horrific periods of early colonial history when the first settlers took refuge in Fort James. They were under siege from Indian attacks and had insufficient food to last the winter.

First they ate their horses, then dogs, cats, rats, mice and snakes. Some, to satisfy their cruel hunger, ate the leather of their shoes.
---
"It's somebody doing what they had to do," said Dr Doug Owsley.
---
the rest, with a video, at BBC link above

Why does the BBC think this is news? I saw a documentary about it on the History channel several years ago. I think it was the "History's Mysteries" series.

(Please note: I'm not blaming wfgodot. It's a new link.)

Why does the BBC think this is news? I saw a documentary about it on the History channel several years ago. I think it was the "History's Mysteries" series.

(Please note: I'm not blaming wfgodot. It's a new link.)
Part of Beeb's pro-George III, "whew, we're well-rid of those hungry beggars" stealth campaign, perhaps.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back