U.S. Army veteran 'is found living in Vietnam village 44 YEARS after being shot down

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Sgt. John Hartley Robertson is believed to have died in 1968 over Laos during a special ops mission during the Vietnam War

A new documentary claims to have found him - aged 76 - still living there

This man, who remarried, has never contacted the American wife and two children who have believed him dead for 44 years
Doubts remain over his identity but his sister, who is filmed being reunited with him in the documentary, said she knows it is him

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...village-44-YEARS-shot-down.html#ixzz2S5cG7HMj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm going to be giving info about my age here. But I remember the Vietnam war. The war that wasn't a war for many years. Since the end of the war there have been hints of POW/MIAs that the government wasn't interested in recovering. Many Viet vets still fly the MIA/POW flag for that reason.

A film maker in Canada claims to have found one of those almost forgotten vets.

I would love to see this documentary.

Already debunked (by Daily Mail, same paper that touted the possibility in the first place):

FRAUD! US Vietnam 'veteran found alive in jungle after 44 years' is exposed as a FAKE
---
Senior members of the special forces veterans community have also made it clear to the MailOnline their disgust at the man's claims expressed through the new documentary.

It is thought that the individual has possibly scammed tens of thousands of dollars from well meaning veterans who want to believe him.
---
more, with pictures, at link above

Yeah, when I saw the first article in the Mail, I was, like, hmm! interesting, even though I didn't think the old guy looked a thing like him. Then this morning I saw the other article.

I was interested because I too remember Vietnam, quite clearly. The year I got my draft number was the year they decided no more call-ups for Vietnam.

How did this story ever get so far? The imposter claiming to be Robertson looks nothing like the real guy. I don't think they'd pass a face over face reconstruction.

I see his sister won't do dna. Either she doesn't want to believe it isn't him, or she doesn't want to lose out on what she is being paid.

Shame on all of them for revictimizing this family as well as others with know answers as to what happened to their missing loved ones lost in this war.

I have to say, I'm so glad this story isn't real. My DH is military and we often discuss the possibility of him being captured or MIA and being assumed dead. Years ago he wanted me to wait 5 years and then move on. After we watched Homeland he changed it to 10 years before I should assume he's dead and remarry. If this story was real I'm sure he would change it to 44 years!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back