1064 users online (188 members and 876 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CA - Ralf Peeks, 43, San Diego, 21 Apr 2013

I've just heard about this local missing person. I've also passed this on to a local bike shop in the area.

From MSM link posted below:
    "Law enforcement officers have issued an alert for a San Diego man who a friend says has vanished without a trace.
    Ralf Peeks, 43, was last seen April 21 according to San Diego police.
    A local engineer, Peeks is a German citizen with no known family in the area.
    Investigators say Peeks was riding his black mountain bike on Camino Ruiz in the Miramar area and he hasn’t seen since.
    Peeks never returned home and did not show up to his job the following day.
    Alex Ciric shared a house with Peeks and has searched hospitals and canyons wondering if the avid cyclist was injured or perhaps killed without identification..
    Advertise | AdChoices

"You don't know what happened, it's become a mystery, something that was so unexpected," said Ciric.
    Friends say police have Peeks passport, money and computers. He did not own a cell phone or a car, they said.

“Our records through TSA don't show he's gone out of the country at this time. We do have some of his personal property," said San Diego police Lt. Ernie Herbert.
    Officers describe Peeks as about 6-foot-1, 190 pounds with blond hair, blue eyes.
    Detectives are asking anyone with information regarding his location to call the S.D.P.D. Homicide Unit - Adult Missing Persons Section at (619) 531-2293 or the Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line at (888) 580-8477."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51718061/#.UYLXzLUqiSo

That area has had several bikers hit by cars in the past decade. I'm fearful for him.

I am too, LWoods.

I just drove down Camino Ruiz last night. I hadn't heard about this until just now. I looked online for more but haven't found anything…yet. He's been missing a while.

I wonder what the U-haul was for?
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiko View Post
    I am too, LWoods.

I just drove down Camino Ruiz last night. I hadn't heard about this until just now. I looked online for more but haven't found anything…yet. He's been missing a while.
    Yeah, the other day there were comments under the NBC SD article regarding checking the canyons, etc. Not sure if those are still there or not.

ETA: They are. http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...205399331.html

The most direct bicycle route from the U Haul on Camino Ruiz to University City would be the bike lane on Miramar Rd then Nobel Road. These are pretty well traveled and it seem pretty near impossible that someone on a bike could be hit by a car and not quickly found.

There are some canyons with off road bike trails that he might have used; particularly if he wasn't going directly home. It is very unusual for someone on a bike to have a mishap and not be found. It is possible for someone to be hit by a car and fly into thick brush or run off the road a such a high speed that they are not seen from the trail, but it would be very unusual.

I was picturing the area on Camino Ruiz where the rock quarry (or whatever that is) is located. I'm not sure where the U-haul is though.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
    I wonder what the U-haul was for?
    Good question.

If he was going somewhere on May 16th, would he be putting something in storage? Probably not on a bike, maybe he met someone there with his belongings? Maybe he was making a payment? He could do that online or via mail. Grasping at straws here!

Quote Originally Posted by LWoods View Post
    I was picturing the area on Camino Ruiz where the rock quarry (or whatever that is) is located. I'm not sure where the U-haul is though.
    The U-Haul is just south of that rock quarry (or what ever it is), it's on the corner of Camino Ruiz and Miralani, it's "T" intersection.

http://goo.gl/maps/brGI9

Camino Ruiz, San Diego, CA - Google Maps
    Last edited by KateB; 04-07-2015 at 12:17 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Ah, so he wouldn't have ridden past the quarry to get to UC. There are still some off road trails in the area that, if they haven't already been, should be checked out, as mentioned above.

That being said, it does seem less likely that he had an accident on one of the main roads and is not noticed.

hi all,
    Wanted to thank everyone for their efforts in trying to locate our friend Ralf. I know and have worked with Ralf for several years. He really is one of the nicest, most reliable and dependable people I have ever met. A part of me almost wishes he wasn't so responsible so it's possible he went down to mexico and is partying it up somewhere but that is definitely not Ralf.

The reason he rented the uhaul trucks was because he was planning on moving back to Germany to take care of his mother. I believe he was moving some items to and from storage and potentially was trying to sell some stuff prior to moving.

There were two small search parties over the weekend and we went through some of the trails behind University City and Governor and also searched the train tracks south of Miramar. There really is quite a lot of ground, trails, shrubs, canyons and bushes in this area. We only had a small group so we covered what ground we could. These train tracks acutally lead right into the canyon North of University city. There are some signs that say no trespassing but there are several trails in this canyon with bike tire marks and we ran across several joggers while conducting the search so it does look like these trails are used.

Also wanted to keep this thread alive to continue to bring awareness to our missing friend.

could he have met up with someone to sell something and met trouble instead? Can anyone get ahold of his phone records. I know he didn't have a cell phone but did he have a home phone, or e-mail?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimeow View Post
    hi all,
    Wanted to thank everyone for their efforts in trying to locate our friend Ralf. I know and have worked with Ralf for several years. He really is one of the nicest, most reliable and dependable people I have ever met. A part of me almost wishes he wasn't so responsible so it's possible he went down to mexico and is partying it up somewhere but that is definitely not Ralf.

The reason he rented the uhaul trucks was because he was planning on moving back to Germany to take care of his mother. I believe he was moving some items to and from storage and potentially was trying to sell some stuff prior to moving.

There were two small search parties over the weekend and we went through some of the trails behind University City and Governor and also searched the train tracks south of Miramar. There really is quite a lot of ground, trails, shrubs, canyons and bushes in this area. We only had a small group so we covered what ground we could. These train tracks acutally lead right into the canyon North of University city. There are some signs that say no trespassing but there are several trails in this canyon with bike tire marks and we ran across several joggers while conducting the search so it does look like these trails are used.

Also wanted to keep this thread alive to continue to bring awareness to our missing friend.
    Welcome Yoshi. If there are more searches please let WS know, some of us locals might be able to come help.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/05/01/s...#axzz2SAwztgoX

“Nothing was missing. His passport is lying there on the bed – his clothes were all there, suitcase. Everything you’d need if you were planning on leaving,” said Simon.
    This concerns me a little. Why would he be packing almost a month in advance? Or is the roomate just stating the stuff was all still there? But still, his passport out on the bed?

*All posts are my opinion only, and only my opinion.*

mama to 12 / adoptive parent educator

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast