1321 users online (176 members and 1145 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thousands flee Calif. wildfires; naval base threatened

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...fires/2131801/

LOS ANGELES — A fast-growing wildfire along the Pacific Coast Highway northwest of Los Angeles that has already forced thousands of residents to flee the area jumped the roadway Friday morning, threatening parts of a premier U.S. naval installation.

Firefighters on the scene radioed that Naval Base Ventura County, which is backed up to the Pacific Ocean, should be advised that flames had leapt the iconic coastal highway that was the only barrier beween the fire and the facility.

The base said on its Facebook page that the airfield at Point Mugu remained open on a mission-essential basis and had not been evacuated, but base personnel were advised to stay indoors. Photos on the site showed smoke beginning to darken the skies at midmorning, but had not yet affected the housing area............

Thousands of people have fled the area as the wildfire, which has damaged 15 homes, threatened 2,000 more and 100 businesses in its race toward Malibu.........more at link......

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Nearly uncontrollable California wildfire grows, threatens 4,000 homes

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/03/us/cal...html?hpt=hp_c2

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A Los Angeles-area wildfire exploded from 10 acres to 18,000 acres in less than a day and a half, and threatened 4,000 homes Friday afternoon, fire authorities said.

The fire, which began Thursday morning, damaged 15 homes,15 outbuildings and five commercial properties, but none were destroyed and no one had been injured, authorities said.

Authorities ordered a mandatory evacuation Friday afternoon for the affluent Ventura County community of Hidden Valley, northwest of Los Angeles, the Ventura County Sheriff's Office said...........more...........

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

There are a lot of horse ranches in Hidden Valley. I hope they have them all safely evacuated. And most of those homes all lead out to Portrero Rd, which is the only way out for most of that community. I hope people take it seriously and go. It would be a hard decision, because many of those are properties worth 10 to 30 million bucks.

eta;

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,0,65579.story

The Hidden Valley area includes numerous luxury ranch homes, including many with stables housing horses and other animals.

Sue Martin and Coleman Trainor thought the danger has passed Shelburne Farm on Portrero Road, but then they noticed the winds change. When the neighboring ranch began evacuating animals about 2 p.m., they decided they should start to make plans for the 20 horses stabled on their own property.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Here are some of the homes in danger:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...dden-Valley_CA

Just went out to my car---ashes all over the car. Couldn't even see thru the windshield.

The smoke is visible out my living room window off in the distance...

Katy here is hoping it stays away from your home. Try to sleep when you can, but I do hope you are checking on it throughout the night.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Stay safe Katydid!

Scary!

fran

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Just went out to my car---ashes all over the car. Couldn't even see thru the windshield.

The ash is unbelievable! I had the house all closed up (no fun cooped up with a 3 yr old and 2 dogs that want to play in the yard) but the smokey smell still managed to seep in. Hoping the amazing firefighters get a handle on it tonight!!

Here are some of the homes in danger:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...dden-Valley_CA
    Well my house feels like a shack now. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    Katy here is hoping it stays away from your home. Try to sleep when you can, but I do hope you are checking on it throughout the night.
    The smoke is visible, but the flames are a long way off, over a mountain ridge. We are probably 13 to 15 miles from the Malibu edge of the fire, and 5-7 miles away from the Hidden Valley portion. But I don't think it is going to come this way, as so far it is heading west and we are east of the flames.

I am camped out on the couch right now. My DH got caught in fwy gridlock on hwy 134, in the Glendale fire today. He ended up turning around and going to his cousins house for the night. Fire central out here tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliste View Post
    The ash is unbelievable! I had the house all closed up (no fun cooped up with a 3 yr old and 2 dogs that want to play in the yard) but the smokey smell still managed to seep in. Hoping the amazing firefighters get a handle on it tonight!!

The smell is so strong. It smells like a parking lot full of tailgating BBQ's before a football game. So smoky.

I feel so much admiration for those firefighters. What a dangerous, difficult job.

I heard it might rain a little tomorrow. That would be a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliste View Post
    Well my house feels like a shack now. Lol!
    I know, right. Some of those homes are unreal. My DS used to work for Lake Sherwood Country Club, right there on Portero Rd, and it is surrounded by huge beautiful estates and horse ranches. I hope all of the animals have been safely evacuated.

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Stay safe Katydid!

Scary!

fran
    Thanks. This one is not as close as the one a couple of years ago. That one came so close that my eyes watered from the stinging smoke in the air, and it felt hot outside at night. It was less than a mile from our home at one point, and we had fire on three sides of our neighborhood.

So this one, so far, is not scaring me as much. yet.

Exclamation

Katy stay safe. Do you need to evacuate?

Thinking of ya'll this morning, hoping all is well!

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,5786768.story

>>>snip

More residents — in Hidden Valley and off Potrero Road, in particular — were ordered to leave Friday as evacuations in Sycamore Canyon, Deer Canyon and Yerba Buena remained in effect, said Bill Nash, a Ventura County fire spokesman. Residents have been allowed to return to the Dos Vientos area and Cal State Channel Islands.
    If you're lucky enough to be at the beach, you're lucky enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast