1345 users online (242 members and 1103 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UT - Ricardo Portillo, 46, soccer ref, punched by player, dies, 27 April 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/05...ntcmp=trending

MURRAY, Utah – A 46-year-old soccer referee who was punched by a teenage player during a game and later slipped into a coma has died, police said.

Ricardo Portillo of Salt Lake City passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following the assault last weekend, Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal said Saturday night.

Police have accused a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league of punching Portillo after the man called a foul on him and issued him a yellow card.

"The suspect was close to Portillo and punched him once in the face as a result of the call," Hoyal said in a press release.

The teen, whose name hasn't been released because of his age, has been booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault.

Hoyal said authorities will consider additional charges since Portillo has died.

He said an autopsy is planned. No cause of death was released............

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/05...#ixzz2SPd3aUcf

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    This is atrocious. We have two kids who play soccer and my husband is a coach. It's vital to teach these kids at a young age not to argue with the ref - and it starts with modeling by the parents and coaches.

I'm waiting for murder charges...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...es-police-say/
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

I heard on the news last night that a juvenile of 17 years is automatically shifted from the juvenile to the adult division in Utah.

This case is well publicized. The teen needs to be tried for 2nd degree murder. I'll be following this case. Hope he gets a long sentence.

They are considering additional charges? What is there to consider? And at 17, there should be no problems with charging him as an adult.
    Just my opinion

i saw this on news yesterday as well. i doubt it will be a murder charge. most likely manslaughter.

the talking heads compared it to another case where a coach was beat to death by a father but the father attacked and didn't stop. i believe he was charged with murder. this kid looks like he sucker punched this ref (not condoning) but i don't see the intent to murder.

very sad for the coach and his family.
    ~~Childhood Cancer is a Crime~~

Teen charged in ref death case

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-29252594.html

A Utah teenager accused of punching a football referee who later died has been charged with homicide by assault, a count issued when an attack unintentionally causes death.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill announced the charges, saying he will seek to try the teenager as an adult.

A homicide by assault charge is less serious than manslaughter. It carries up to five years in prison for adults, but penalties can be less for juveniles.

More at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I saw an interview with family of the referee and they say he'd been attacked before, and it sounded like by other players at different times.

Up to five years? That is ridiculous. Barely a deterrent.
    Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    Up to five years? That is ridiculous. Barely a deterrent.
    ITA. What's up with these sentences? It seems so inadequate considering a man is dead.
    Just my opinion

Family of teen charged in death of ref apologizes

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ef-apologizes/

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    Family of teen charged in death of ref apologizes

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ef-apologizes/
    They can apologize all they want. The man is still dead.
    Just my opinion

Ya - I just don't get it....the family apologizes but he pleads not guilty....

"The family of a Utah teenager charged in the death of a soccer referee apologized Friday to the man's family for the first time, saying it cannot imagine how much they miss their father."

"The 17-year-old's sister read the apology shortly after a hearing in which her brother pleaded not guilty to the charge of homicide by assault. At the hearing, a juvenile court judge denied a request by the teenager's attorney to let him out of detention while the case plays out in court."

His lawyer is going for a plea bargain or lesser sentencel. They need a mostly male jury who can understand that one punch is in no way an evil or bad kid most of the time. It is tragic it ended in death but this kid didn't even mean to seriously hurt him let alone kill him. I don't really think he makes a great deterrent case

I don't know how it can get any "lesser" than it already is.
    He is only facing up to five years.
    As for not meaning to hurt the guy-seriously? What do you expect if you punch someone in the head?
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I don't know how it can get any "lesser" than it already is.
    He is only facing up to five years.
    As for not meaning to hurt the guy-seriously? What do you expect if you punch someone in the head?
    a bruise, just like the millions of punches thrown every week by testosterone fueled boys and men. It was totally wrong of him, but imo his harshest punishment is that he knows he killed a man, he has to live with that for the rest of his life. Some things are just tragic, not intentional malice..if he hadn't died the kid likely wouldn't even have been arrested just given a red card and benched for a few games. Fact is the outcome was accidental, not the behavior, he knew he was throwing a punch but i would bet my life he had no idea he was doing something life threatening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast