FL FL - William Biagi, 22, Hialeah, 1 Dec 1958

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Member TenaciousDae is looking for information about her relative, William J. Biagi.

On December 1, 1958, while playing a bowling game inside the Mug Bar in Hialeah, FL, two men, Benjamin Lee Clawson and an unidentifed man with a black mustache, engaged in an argument. When the two men walked outside together, several bar patrons followed. Gunfire erupted, and a bystander was shot and died almost instantly. Another was left in critical condition from a gunshot wound. Clawson's friend, Curtis Barfield, 27, was arrested and charged with first degree murder. The unidentified man fled, and whether or not he was eventually captured is unknown.

The murdered victim was 22 year-old William J. Biagi, an electrician at Miami International Airport. He and Rosalie Biagi had been married for only three years, and were expecting their second child. William also left behind a two year-old daughter, Gina Marie.

TenaciuosDae has been unable to find any follow up articles, and would like to know the outcome of the murder charges against Curtis Barfield.

biagiweddingwmandrosali.jpg

This photo of newlyweds William
and Rosalie Biagi appeared on the front page
The Miami News, December 1, 1958.

See attached articles:

Bar Bystander Killed

Shots Kill Bystander

TenaciousDae has shared more photos of William, or Billy, as he was known to his loved ones.

8716879777_e1eb1b3098.jpg

8718003158_fc4b91b5a1.jpg

So come one, sleuthers. Get the wheels spinning and let's find out if justice was ever granted to Billy and his heartbroken family.

Thought I'd see if any of the principals were still around to contact...this info is of little use, but is interesting.

Homicide Detective Ray Wertis is deceased:
Wertis Wertis, Raymond A., 82, of Pembroke Pines passed away January 19, 2006. The Pro Basketball pioneer played in the first B.B.A. game in 1946, which later became the N.B.A. His college career was at St. John's University in New York, where he was born. He later became a police officer and homicide detective. He is survived by his only daughter, Patricia, and son-in-law, Dr. Mariano Rodriguez; three grandchildren, Mario Rodriguez, Dr. Manuel and Carole Longo, and Diana Rodriguez; and his precious great-granddaughter, Isabella Longo. Memorial services will be held at 6:30pm, January 30th, at Grace Funeral Chapels located at 5980 W. Oakland Park Blvd. in Lauderhill. In lieu of flowers, family would suggest donations made to Vitas Hospice, 5420 NW 33 Ave., Suite 100, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309.

Benjamin Lee Clawson, material witness - Cannot determine if he is alive or not. He would be 79 if alive:
- Cannot find him in the SSDI or any other obit. Still looking.
- I did find what I believe are marriage and divorce records for him and a (ex)wife named Isabel, Dade County Florida.
-Looks like he had trouble in the 70's: http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Florida/Miami-Dade-County-FL/Benjamin-Lee-Clawson.30689428/details/

So that is the right Clawson! I found the mugshot, but I didn't scroll down far enough. I thought it was a recent record, maybe a son. :doh:

Good catch, Boo!

There are many quite a few named CB. I've narrowed them down, and I think this CB died in 1965. Won't say more until I'm sure, though.

Bummer all the links no longer work. I can't find anything online. Maybe someone has a newspapers .com subscription and can put up some clips.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back