1053 users online (210 members and 843 guests)  

Websleuths News

AZ - Man found hanging in climbing gear 70 feet down cliff had been stung by bees

Mountaineer found dead hanging from cliff in climbing gear covered in BEE STINGS...along with his loyal dog (Daily Mail)
    A climber and his faithful dog have perished in Arizona after they appear to have been attacked by killer bees as he scaled a cliff.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office says that 55-year-old Steven Johnson, a counselor with some 30 years experience hiking and climbing was found dead, hanging 70-feet from the ground in his climbing gear in the Santa Rita Mountains on Monday night.

The cause of death has not been determined yet, but officials said that Johnson was covered in bee stings when he was found while his dead dog was discovered at the top of the cliff.
    ---
    Sheriff's Lt. Raoul Rodriguez says Johnson may have disturbed bees by hammering a spike into the cliff.
    ---
    more, with a "Killer bees in Arizona" sidebar, at link above

Here in the Southern California desert, I get a lot of questions about so-called "killer" bees from friends and relatives in the North and East.

No, we do not hide indoors all the time, terrified of a bee attack.

No, we do not jump into water (a swimming pool, say) to escape a swarm. Killer bees will wait for a target to surface.

Yes, we take ALL bees seriously, as it isn't possible to tell killer bees from regular honeybees by sight.

Yes, if we find a hive, we leave it to professional exterminators.

What a horrible way to die.

How horrible!

Unhappy

Egads...
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

I wonder what was the dog's cause of death?

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    I wonder what was the dog's cause of death?
    The article implies no autopsy or necropsy has been performed, but it does begin by stating the climber AND his dog "appear to have been attacked" by the bees. It wouldn't surprise me if the dog refused to abandon his companion, despite the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    The article implies no autopsy or necropsy has been performed, but it does begin by stating the climber AND his dog "appear to have been attacked" by the bees. It wouldn't surprise me if the dog refused to abandon his companion, despite the threat.
    That must have been a massive amount of bees. I've owned dogs all my life and can't think of a single time when any of them have ever been stung. Hard to believe the dog would endure that.