744 users online (83 members and 661 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,119

    the two 911 calls

    911 operator who took Amanda Berry's call under review

    http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/0...-under-review/

    bbm snipped from article ==> “While the call-taker complied with policies and procedures which enabled a very fast response by police, we have noted some concerns which will be the focus of our review, including the call-taker’s failure to remain on the line with Ms. Berry until police arrived on scene,” the post, attributed to Cleveland Department of Public Safety director Martin L. Flask, stated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    398
    Listening to these a week later the operator didn't seem so bad.
    Amanda's call was placed at 5.51 and 59 seconds
    Charles call at 5.52 and 34 seconds.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,732
    I've called 911 a few times & have never had a dispatcher that did not say they were staying on the line with me until help is dispatched or pulling in the street. It depends on what's needed when I've called

    She sounds like she's going to hang up a few times. Not only did Amanda state who she was; when she realized the operator had no clue who she was; she stated she'd been kidnapped, missing for 10 years & on the news
    Amanda says hello?
    Will send someone as soon as we get a car open?
    What was he wearing? Hello; she's already said she was kidnapped; does it occur to them she may not have seen him before he left?
    Horrible operator. IMO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,219
    By asking what the suspect was wearing, dispatcher was trying to get as much information as he could so police could actually arrest the suspect.
    And Amanda was in the same house with the suspect, so potentially could know what he was wearing.
    Just my opinion

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
    I've called 911 a few times & have never had a dispatcher that did not say they were staying on the line with me until help is dispatched or pulling in the street. It depends on what's needed when I've called

    She sounds like she's going to hang up a few times. Not only did Amanda state who she was; when she realized the operator had no clue who she was; she stated she'd been kidnapped, missing for 10 years & on the news
    Amanda says hello?
    Will send someone as soon as we get a car open?
    What was he wearing? Hello; she's already said she was kidnapped; does it occur to them she may not have seen him before he left?
    Horrible operator. IMO
    I have to agree. I would think 911 would stay on the line with anyone reporting they were kidnapped and had just escaped. I wonder if 911 in Cleveland gets a lot of false reports of kidnappings? That would be the only plausible excuse to me that might be acceptable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    398
    I'm wondering if they even believed them and exactly how many people called 911.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,219
    Quote Originally Posted by singers View Post
    I'm wondering if they even believed them and exactly how many people called 911.
    2 people called 911 (Amanda and Charles Ramsey) and we heard both of these calls.
    Just my opinion

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,732
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    By asking what the suspect was wearing, dispatcher was trying to get as much information as he could so police could actually arrest the suspect.
    And Amanda was in the same house with the suspect, so potentially could know what he was wearing.
    Maybe I should rephrase what I said. I dislike how she asked; at that point I was already totally disgusted with the call because she sounded like she was going to hang up the phone a few times.

    The question should have been asked differently; such as did you happen to see what he was wearing before he left.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Coos Bay, Oregon
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by singers View Post
    I'm wondering if they even believed them and exactly how many people called 911.
    They believed them. If they didn't believed them. They would have continued to talk to them, until they could figure out what was going on.

    The fact that the operators immediately ended the calls and dispatched officers code 3 (highest priority) is proof that they took the calls serious.
    Last edited by KaaBoom; 05-14-2013 at 02:00 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,732
    Hearing Amanda's daughter crying for her daddy ripped my heart out. While he was a monster to the women; we do not know what kind of father he's been to her.

    I don't doubt they will make sure she gets extensive counseling.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Coos Bay, Oregon
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by singers View Post
    Listening to these a week later the operator didn't seem so bad.
    Amanda's call was placed at 5.51 and 59 seconds
    Charles call at 5.52 and 34 seconds.
    I agree they did a good job. Continuing that time line.

    Police had liberated all four girls and were calling for ambulances for them at 5:58 and 32 seconds. So within six and a half minutes after that call, they were all safe.

    Police arrested Ariel Castro in the McDonald's parking lot at 6:13. So within a little over 20 minutes after the calls, they had Castro in custody.

    Thats not bad at all. People don't understand that the faster they get the call over with, the faster help will arrive.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northwestern United States
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    I agree they did a good job. Continuing that time line.

    Police had liberated all four girls and were calling for ambulances for them at 5:58 and 32 seconds. So within six and a half minutes after that call, they were all safe.

    Police arrested Ariel Castro in the McDonald's parking lot at 6:13. So within a little over 20 minutes after the calls, they had Castro in custody.

    Thats not bad at all. People don't understand that the faster they get the call over with, the faster help will arrive.
    Okay, I really don't understand this. Aren't the dispatchers typing in stuff as they're on the phone? I thought it was all computerized and they multi-tasked a lot?

    Thank goodness I've never had to call 911, just the non-emergency number.

    I do agree the times do seem reasonable in this case, I just also agree with those that thought it was mighty weird for the operator not to keep her on the line until officers actually arrived.

    Do we have any dispatcher sleuths here that could offer more information on the protocols, etc.?
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,219
    Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    They believed them. If they didn't believed them. They would have continued to talk to them, until they could figure out what was going on.

    The fact that the operators immediately ended the calls and dispatched officers code 3 (highest priority) is proof that they took the calls serious.
    And the police car was there in 2 minutes. That is not a low priority call.
    Just my opinion

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    People don't understand that the faster they get the call over with, the faster help will arrive.
    sbm...that is not true.

    The LE in charge of dispatch says the 911 operator dropped the ball by not keeping Amanda on the line until help arrived.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,562
    Quote Originally Posted by flourish View Post
    Okay, I really don't understand this. Aren't the dispatchers typing in stuff as they're on the phone? I thought it was all computerized and they multi-tasked a lot?

    Thank goodness I've never had to call 911, just the non-emergency number.

    I do agree the times do seem reasonable in this case, I just also agree with those that thought it was mighty weird for the operator not to keep her on the line until officers actually arrived.

    Do we have any dispatcher sleuths here that could offer more information on the protocols, etc.?
    Just sharing my experience with 911 calls. I tried a Google search and it looks like the call handling/routing may vary by state and possibly even by county, so I don't know how they're handled in Cleveland (couldn't find it), but still hope this might be helpful.

    Every time I've called, they've always been multi-tasking and typically had the appropriate people on the way while we were still talking. They've asked me to hold on while they typed or got on the radio before, but they had me stay on until they were sure they had all the info they needed.

    One other thing that may or may not apply - I remember learning quite awhile ago that if you're reporting something traffic related, particularly a traffic hazard where no one's injured or in immediate danger, it's best to call from a cell because it's routed to a highway patrol dispatcher first (at least where I live). In my experience those calls have been quicker to get off the line because it's been for traffic hazards as opposed to something like an accident, but still they've always asked if I wanted them to wait.

    The couple of times I've called in something more serious and knew I needed a Sheriff or Ambulance, I've called from a landline. Once for a brewing domestic dispute, and once for a really bad car accident that left a man pinned under a huge SUV across from my house.

    With the landline calls they were more persistent making absolutely sure I was ok/not in danger before hanging up. The domestic dispute was at a neighbor's house and I didn't feel threatened so I didn't stay on once I gave them the info, but they specifically confirmed that I was safe before they hung up. I was very surprised they didn't confirm that with Amanda - I kept expecting to hear "Are you safe where you are now?"

    The only time I stayed on was when the guy was pinned under the SUV because I knew his life was in immediate danger and wanted to make absolutely sure help arrived. The dispatcher in that case was insistent about staying on the line too, and even after she heard the sirens she didn't hang up until I confirmed I saw both police and ambulance at the scene. That's what I would've expected to happen with Amanda's call. I know the dispatcher can't do a whole lot from the other end of a phone, but at least if AC had showed back up at the house they would've had the chance to warn LE that he was in the area.

    I wonder how much this varies across states, counties, etc. There must be guidelines for how they handle which type of calls, right? I couldn't find anything on Google, but I ran out of time to look. I'm definitely curious about it now though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. The 911 calls
    By shadowraiths in forum Long Island Serial Killer
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 04:10 AM
  2. 1 yr anniversary of 911 calls from BD and SA
    By passionflower in forum Hailey Dunn
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 04:13 PM
  3. 911 Calls
    By Magister in forum Nancy Cooper
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Tags for this Thread