1322 users online (251 members and 1071 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY - Linette Miller, 16, Queens, 1977

This girl, Linette Marie Miller has been discussed on the Caledonia Jane Doe thread.

Linette is not listed on any of the missing persons sites.

I'm very certain that she is not Cali. But I am starting a thread to discuss her case, and to try to locate her.

Linette was last seen sometime around late 1977 or early 1978. She was hitchhiking to Idaho from the East Coast and was known to catch rides from truck drivers. Her sister says that she was about 5'1" when she was 16, and may have grown an inch or two thereafter. Her DOB is 30-Aug-1961, so she would have been about 16 at the time of her disappearance.

Linette's sister Grace indicated Linette had never been reported missing.

Linette lived with our mother Grace Miller until Grace's death in March 1977. After that she lived with me for a few months then went to live with another sister for a few months. She then went hitch hiking out west to visit an uncle then living in Idaho. The friend hitching with her made it to the uncles house but she said Linette went with a trucker,
    In a private facebook message, in response to my questions, Grace stated the following:

I'm not sure she went to high school. She had dropped out of school before she came to live with me and she was 15 then. She had no permanent address that I know of at the time. She wandered from relative to friend to hitch hiking. Before my mothers death they lived in Queens, NY. My mothers name was Grace Miller at the time of her death, March 1977.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 05-31-2014 at 12:16 PM.

I posted this on the Caledonia Jane Doe page, but will repeat it here.

Looking at the side photo of Cali, you can see her left ear and compare it to Linette's left ear.

Cali's earlobe has much more droop than Linette's. The bottom of Linette's earlobe runs horizontally from its connection point. There is very little droop below the connection point.

Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

I spoke to her sister the other day; another sister looked at Cali's info & agreed she is not their sister. We need someone that can do a search for her before Linette's info gets put in NamUs.

I have clarification on where everyone lived.

Her mom lived in Queens/ Brooklyn NY.
    Sister Grace lived in Bloomington, IN at the time of their mother's passing. The sister that she lived with was in St. Pete, FL at that time.

The name of the person she hitched with is not known. They think she may be someone she picked up along the way. The Uncle only got a first name at the time & does not recall it.

She said that at some angles their family ears look attached so that is why she's not totally ruling that out...

She reported her missing to her local PD in MA & they would file the report with the state.

The NY detective contacted her last week to their DNA has been sent to Texas NamUs; so her DNA will get run through the system.

Linette was last seen sometime around late 1977 or early 1978. She was hitchhiking to Idaho from St. Pete, FL and was known to catch rides from truck drivers. Her sister says that she was about 5'1" when she was 16, and may have grown an inch or two thereafter. Her DOB is 30-Aug-1961, so she would have been about 16 at the time of her disappearance.

Want to leave these links here too.

Linette on people seeking people 5/2/2013

Cali & Linette on seeking the lost 5/3/2013

The DNA was held up because they wanted 2 sibling samples. Sister 1 gave a sample in early May; sister 2 in early June; they were then sent out together. Their DNA has not been processed.

Once it has been processed; they will get run through the system. If Linette is any of the UP's they will have an answer; if not; Linette will get listed as missing & the DNA samples will go with her NamUs profile.

Her sister is going through hell waiting. Had her sample been sent out when it was taken; it would be processed by now. Snuf recently made a match with Greg Devita; a relative sample was taken around the same time as Linette's sister; they had answers a few weeks ago. Hopefully; her sister will know something soon. I hope so because I hate knowing that she's in limbo.

Confirmation that Linette is not Caledonia JD. I believe that so far there have been no DNA matches. I assume her DNA has been run through NamUs as well as CODIS.

I'm waiting to hear what her sister would like me to do next. I'm sure she has a lot to process. Each step is not easy. Hoping to find someone that can try to do a name search for her again.

Cali's NamUs
    Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

People seeking people newest reply
    **Linette Marie Miller or Linette Jata August 30th 1961**

I was able to find a record as Linette Jata

( Jata was a man she was seeing, with an address in brooklyn NY where she was from after she went missing) July 19 at 10:17am

What about Buckskin Girl Jane Doe?

I remember when Linette was posted on PSP and STL. I thought she favored Caledonia Jane Doe, but had a UID in the back of my mind that she favored and I couldn't recall which one. I was checking out UIDs this evening and came across this one...

Namus for Buckskin Girl Jane Doe: https://identifyus.org/cases/4790

WS thread: OH OH - Troy (Miami County) "Buckskin Girl" - WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 *GRAPHIC* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Info about Buckskin Girl Jane Doe:

Unidentified White Female
    Located on April 24, 1981 in Miami County, Ohio
    Cause of death was strangulation, she also had suffered blows to the head and neck.
    Estimated Date of Death: April 23, 1981

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: Late teens to mid-20s
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"-5'6"; 130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes; reddish-brown hair plaited into thick pigtails. Her complexion was freckled and ruddy. She was in remarkably good physical condition, with excellent personal hygiene. Her ears were not pierced. Scar on chin.
    Dentals: Available. Her teeth were in good condition and she still had all four of her wisdom teeth.
    Clothing: She was wearing a brown and orange turtleneck sweater, a size 32 D bra, Wrangler brand jeans and a distinctive handmade suede jacket with a purple satin lining. No shoes.
    DNA: Available.

Case History

This young woman's, nicknamed The Buckskin Girl, body was found on Greenlee Road near State Route 55 in rural Miami County, Ohio in April of 1981. A coroner's report revealed that she died of strangulation. She also had suffered blows to the head and neck.

Evidence indicates that the body was transported to the scene from another location. Investigators believe she may have been a runaway or just a wanderer, hitching rides from one state to the next, although it did not appear that she had been on the road very long. She was not sexually assaulted.

I hope that Linette's family gets closure soon.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
    People seeking people newest reply
    **Linette Marie Miller or Linette Jata August 30th 1961**

I was able to find a record as Linette Jata

( Jata was a man she was seeing, with an address in brooklyn NY where she was from after she went missing) July 19 at 10:17am

Sorry, I got confused here.

Are they saying they found a record of her alive, under the last name of someone she'd been seeing, and that this record was from after she went missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Sorry, I got confused here.

Are they saying they found a record of her alive, under the last name of someone she'd been seeing, and that this record was from after she went missing?
    Yes; they found someone under the last name of the guy she was supposed to have married.

I've also found someone with her with her maiden name applying for a marriage license in Oregon IIRC

Does the birthdate match hers on the marriage license?

Quote Originally Posted by 4SAM View Post
    Does the birthdate match hers on the marriage license?
    I believe it did but not 100% sure. I used google; do not have time to duplicate it right now

oh wow!! so exciting!! let us know rose!! thanks again!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast