1193 users online (205 members and 988 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NJ - Newark, BlkFem UP11246, 30-50, on riverbank, distinctive jewelry, Apr'13

This is a 30-50 year old female of unknown race, 140 pounds, 64 inches. Body found in Passaic River, Newark, New Jersey. Postmortem interval is at least 2 weeks. Had thermal underwear, 4 distinctive necklaces and a watch.

The jewelry is so distinctive and there is such a lot of it I think people who knew her would definitely remember them and it seems to me like the red, yellow, and the green might mean something. I first thought a reggae fan when I saw them but I guess it might be flag colors. Several countries with that color scheme:
    List of countries by colors of national flags - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A bigger image available on the Namus site.
    Not listed in the Namus entry but there also seems to be an earring of the pierced type.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11246
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

colors & crosses

Countries with National Flags of Red, Green, & Yellow:
    Benin
    Bolivia
    Burkina Faso
    Cameroon
    Republic of Congo
    Grenada
    Guinea
    Lithuania
    Mali
    Senegal

And here's a photo of one Lithuanian style cross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tamar; 05-12-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: eta

Could she be Bolivian? The colors match the Bolivian flag. Other countries with those colors seem to be African countries.

I excluded Lithuania based on the pattern of the colors, but the cross really resembles that of the UID.

Coptic Crosses

I think the crosses may be coptic:

Copts are primarily from Egypt & Sudan but Canada & the US hold the largest of the diaspora.
    Last edited by tamar; 05-12-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: eta
    "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."~ Dot Parker

Using google images, the closest set of google images to the pictured pendants I can find involves the search words... ethiopian brass coptic cross pendants

A check of wikipedia indicates that the ethiopian flag is red, green, yellow and blue. The blue is in the central emblem which has changed several times over the years, the red,yellow and green have remained constant.

I think we may have an Ethiopian Copt here.

Edited to add: Looks like Tamar was doing pretty much the same searches I was at the same time!

Or it could be one the necklaces were bought as some sort of African-American heritage seeking thing... here's a site selling them on pretty much that sort of ribbon.

http://hopenaturalhairandskinproduct...n-jewelry.html

Red gold and green "rasta" shoelaces I think rasta is short for rastafarian
    For I the Lord thy God will hold they right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. ~Is 41:13

Here is the picture from reasypeasy!
    For I the Lord thy God will hold they right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. ~Is 41:13

Yep. Rasta shoelaces. Ethiopian Coptic cross.

I think it's safe to look for a person of African descent, starting with Ethiopians and Jamaicans. (Rastafarians believe that the former Emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie was the incarnation of God. This was because of a prophecy by Marcus Garvey. The religion started in Jamaica.)

Here is someone selling a very similar piece. (Well, it was sold in Feb.) http://www.etsy.com/listing/10414576...n-coptic-cross
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/89990887...optic-cross-a7

From the same Etsian. I'm wondering if maybe I should contact this Etsian and see if s/he recognizes the necklaces.

Should I?
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

Necco, it couldn't hurt to contact the Etsian. Just explain the situation.
    "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."~ Dot Parker

I just sent it while I still had the nerve. I'll let you know if I hear back.

The watch looks similar to a multi-functional diver's watch, and if that is the case, then maybe this UI lived near water, or had activities pertaining to water?

not the same watch, but here is a link to a surf watch....
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...8&Click=205964

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast