GUILTY CA - Pamela Devitt, 63, dies in pit bull attack, Littlerock, 9 May 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ger-killed-dogs/2149843/?morestories=obinsite

Los Angeles authorities are investigating whether several pit bulls seized from a man suspected of growing marijuana in his home were responsible for attacking and killing a 63-year-old woman on her morning walk Thursday.

The victim was identified Friday as Pamela Maria Devitt, of Littlerock, a high-desert community about 65 miles northeast of Los Angeles in the Antelope Valley. She died in an ambulance on the way to a local hospital...........

Alex Jackson, 29, was arrested on suspicion of cultivating marijuana at the house where the dogs were seized. He is a "person of interest" in Devitt's death, said sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore.

More at link......

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...tim-Identified-Dogs-In-Custody-206952301.html

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=9098294

Quote ""It's the only reason I am out here, because I did want to put a face to the 63-year-old, so I am doing this because she needs to be respected," he said.
"I just lost my best friend," said Ben Devitt. "I mean our, 43 years was because we were each other's best friend."

Pamela had been married 43 yrs, she has 2 children, she walked to keep healthy.

That poor lady! What a horrible way to die and she did nothing to deserve what happened to her. If the dogs taken from the pot grower are the ones who did this, he should never be allowed to have dogs again. Dogs that could be dangerous need to be secured and secured well. I have 2 pit bulls, a German shepherd, a lab, and various foster dogs. All of my dogs are well trained and very friendly. The lab is a certified therapy dog. The only one of my dogs that I could see ever hurting anyone for any reason is my male pit. He is dog aggressive to strange dogs and he does not like men with tools and goes crazy when he sees a weed whacker. Otherwise, he is friendly to everyone. I keep my dogs in the house or in my yard with a 6' high fence and locked gates. When I take my male pit off my property on a leash, I muzzle him. That's because if he passed another dog on the street, he would try to attack it and I'm not taking any chances. (He gets along fine with my dogs and my foster dogs.) I took the male pit to obedience classes wearing a muzzle. If one dog is attacking a person or animal, other loose dogs will often join in even if they wouldn't normally attack. They get excited and end up playing tug of war with the victim. They feed on each others excitement. Its never good for dogs to be running loose together without an owner/trainer with them and controlling them. They really should be on a leash. Also, its best to have male dogs neutered to make them less aggressive and territorial. I have all my animals spayed or neutered. This story is such a tragedy and is caused by one or more irresponsible dog owners.

That poor lady! What a horrible way to die and she did nothing to deserve what happened to her. If the dogs taken from the pot grower are the ones who did this, he should never be allowed to have dogs again. Dogs that could be dangerous need to be secured and secured well. I have 2 pit bulls, a German shepherd, a lab, and various foster dogs. All of my dogs are well trained and very friendly. The lab is a certified therapy dog. The only one of my dogs that I could see ever hurting anyone for any reason is my male pit. He is dog aggressive to strange dogs and he does not like men with tools and goes crazy when he sees a weed whacker. Otherwise, he is friendly to everyone. I keep my dogs in the house or in my yard with a 6' high fence and locked gates. When I take my male pit off my property on a leash, I muzzle him. That's because if he passed another dog on the street, he would try to attack it and I'm not taking any chances. (He gets along fine with my dogs and my foster dogs.) I took the male pit to obedience classes wearing a muzzle. If one dog is attacking a person or animal, other loose dogs will often join in even if they wouldn't normally attack. They get excited and end up playing tug of war with the victim. They feed on each others excitement. Its never good for dogs to be running loose together without an owner/trainer with them and controlling them. They really should be on a leash. Also, its best to have male dogs neutered to make them less aggressive and territorial. I have all my animals spayed or neutered. This story is such a tragedy and is caused by one or more irresponsible dog owners.

Thank you Jan. You are a very responsible dog owner and your post gave very good advice and was very informative.

I can't imagine the horror and pain this poor lady went through. And her husband has to deal with her loss and I'm sure horrible thoughts about how she died. Bless her and all her family and friends.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81139424/

To prosecutors, Alex Donald Jackson was a small-town drug dealer who did nothing to prevent Pamela Devitt, 63, from being mauled to death by four of his pit bulls -- despite being warned on several occasions about how violent and dangerous the dogs could become.

To family friends and defense attorney Al Kim, Jackson was a kind-hearted animal lover who cared for stray animals in a desert community notoriously used by city dwellers as a dumping ground for unwanted dogs. He had no idea the animals were capable of the violent May 2013 attack that an autopsy revealed left Devitt with between 150 and 200 puncture wounds...

Jackson appeared in an Antelope Valley courtroom Wednesday afternoon, where, in addition to murder, he is on trial for cultivating marijuana, possession for sale of psychedelic mushrooms, and assault with a deadly weapon from a separate January 2013 incident in which he’s accused of throwing a rock at a horseback rider after his dogs attacked the rider's horse.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81200095/

Jackson testified he had never been a reckless pet owner. “I never had any inclination or indication to believe prior to this happening that this was even remotely possible,” he said.

Whether Jackson knew the dogs were dangerous is central to determining whether he is guilty of second-degree murder in the May 2013 death of Pamela Devitt. Devitt, 63, suffered about 200 wounds in the attack by four of Jackson's pit bulls.

Prosecutors have said that his dogs were involved in at least seven other altercations in 18 months leading up to the attack on Devitt. Jackson disregarded repeated warnings that his dogs would jump the fence that enclosed his frontyard and attack passersby, prosecutors said earlier in the trial.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81222321/

A dog owner was convicted Friday of second-degree murder in the grisly mauling death last year of a woman who was attacked by four pit bills in the Antelope Valley town of Littlerock...

In the week-long trial in a Lancaster courtroom, jurors were told that nearly all of Devitt's hair was gone and her skull exposed in the attack. An autopsy determined she suffered as many as 200 puncture wounds. Patches of her skin were missing, and some of her wounds were so deep they exposed bone. Coroner's officials determined Devitt died from blood loss in an ambulance on the way to the hospital...

He is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 3 and faces at least 15 years to life in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back