1213 users online (233 members and 980 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light

Angelina Jolie has double mastectomy

Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/14/angeli...breast-cancer/

http://www.pinklotusbreastcenter.com/

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Good for her! This was the best decision for her life, it seems.

It's too bad, though, that the testing she underwent is too expensive for the average woman, and many times, is not covered by insurance (~$3,000, I read).

But I applaud her for speaking about this, and bring it out in the open; putting a positive light on the procedure (taking the "scare" factor out of it.)

In her shoes, I would do the exact same thing. They're only boobs. They don't define me. I'm much deeper than that.

I agree oh_gal. Didnt her mother die of breast cancer at a young age?

She is smart to remove that risk from her own life. She has 6 children to raise and care for. Kids have a way of changing our priorities dont they?
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Her mother passed in 2007 of ovarian cancer.

I applaud her move... one less cancer factor in her life. She is extremely lucky to be in the position to be proactive.

I was at my friend's house last week, taking care of her after a mastectomy.

I wish she had known about Angelina Jolie before her operation, I think it would have helped with the "fear factor."

I am so glad AJ shared her plight with the public, it will certainly help a lot of women.

Other celebrities who have tested positive for the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 mutation:

Christina Applegate
    Sharon Osbourne
    Camille Grammer
    Kara DioGuardi

What about the history of Ovarian Cancer?

Angelina Jolie's mother died of ovarian cancer, also a high risk cancer with the mutation of the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene.

Maybe Angelina had her ovaries removed also and didn't tell that part, but she has retained her ovaries, why would she deem this an acceptable risk?
    She is at an enormously high risk for developing ovarian cancer due to the gene mutation and ovarian cancer in her mother's medical history. There is no definitive screening method for early detection of ovarian cancer and as we know, it is one of the most deadly cancers due to the difficulty of early detection as well as very poor surgery/ chemotherapy results.

I've been down this road myself, so I know how hard the decisions are to make to remove reproductive capabilities in a 30 something year old woman. I also know how horrific ovarian cancer is. I hope Angelina made the right decision and I wish the best for her continued health.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingJana View Post
    Angelina Jolie's mother died of ovarian cancer, also a high risk cancer with the mutation of the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene.

Maybe Angelina had her ovaries removed also and didn't tell that part, but she has retained her ovaries, why would she deem this an acceptable risk?
    She is at an enormously high risk for developing ovarian cancer due to the gene mutation and ovarian cancer in her mother's medical history. There is no definitive screening method for early detection of ovarian cancer and as we know, it is one of the most deadly cancers due to the difficulty of early detection as well as very poor surgery/ chemotherapy results.

I've been down this road myself, so I know how hard the decisions are to make to remove reproductive capabilities in a 30 something year old woman. I also know how horrific ovarian cancer is. I hope Angelina made the right decision and I wish the best for her continued health.
    Didn't she say that this is the first step? She may well indeed have a full hysterectomy in the near future.

She said that her mother got to live long enough to see her first grandchild, but AJ also had two adopted children at that time, so her mother lived long enough to meet three of her grandchildren.

Perhaps she wants another child - she might be willing to take this risk, as mums are.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

It is not really going to help her much, she has the defective genes, she can't change that.

A better strategy is to be aware and be vigilant since she has high risk of cancer. Cutting off body parts and then thinking you are OK doesn't seem like a winning proposition to me.

There is nothing that says you can't have prophylactic surgery and be vigilant at the same time. It is not a magic cure and after you've had had a prophylactic mastectomy you can still get develop skin cancer, colon cancer etc. or any other dangerous diseases but I think it is a generally accepted fact that it is associated with a significant reduction of breast cancer risk.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRCA_mutation"]BRCA mutation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The removal of ovaries has more side effects than a mastectomy, particularly in a woman who is not in her menopause yet so I can understand why people would choose to have a mastectomy first.

With her mother dying from ovarian cancer and her positive BRCA1 test, her risk of breast cancer was 87%. Having the double mastectomy cut her risk of breast cancer to 5%. Her ovarian cancer risk is 50% and she addressed this in the article she wrote: I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex."

I admire her for exploring her options and making an informed decision. When I found a large lump in my breast and went to see the doctor I walked in and said "I have a lump. If it's a nasty one I want a double mastectomy, I don't want to muck around with less invasive procedures" and the dr was very supportive. My lump turned out to be a fibroadenoma so I didn't have to go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    There is nothing that says you can't have prophylactic surgery and be vigilant at the same time. It is not a magic cure and after you've had had a prophylactic mastectomy you can still get develop skin cancer, colon cancer etc. or any other dangerous diseases but I think it is a generally accepted fact that it is associated with a significant reduction of breast cancer risk.

BRCA mutation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The removal of ovaries has more side effects than a mastectomy, particularly in a woman who is not in her menopause yet so I can understand why people would choose to have a mastectomy first.
    Detecting and treating cancer in breast tissue is a lot easier than other organs though. So, basically she traded off a risk that is easy to detect and intercept, but the harder cancers are still there. The risk for those might be a bit lower than that for breast cancer, but they are still very high.

In other words, her overall probability of dieing from cancer (as opposed to getting it), is not being changed much, assuming that she remains vigilant.

Should women get the gene test if their mother or grandmother passed from ovarian cancer? My Mother in law died of that about 20 years ago and no mention of a gene defect. Or, is thd test something we all need but can't afford?

This story is so upsetting

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226643701662

In 2007, long before Angelina Jolie's preventative surgery, three sisters tested positive for BRCA2, a gene disorder that brings an 80 per cent risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer.

Eldest sister Chrissy Keepence and middle sister Veronica Neave both acted quickly to have hysterectomies and their breasts removed.

But Elisha, only 30 at the time, decided to wait to have more children - a decision that will cost her life.

Now 34, Elisha is dying from a rare and aggressive cancer that started in her ovaries in March last year.

Chrissy said the thought of losing her sister was heartbreaking, but she hoped telling her story would encourage others to act.

"My baby sister has stage-4 fatal ovarian cancer - she never had the chance to act, she waited too long," Chrissy said.

"I am so happy that Angelina Jolie has come out to make people aware.

"If you're armed with knowledge, you can do something. We thought Elisha had more time - she was young and historically in our family the cancer didn't hit until the late 40s, but we were wrong."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast