1103 users online (242 members and 861 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    306

    Things LE should have done differently?

    I wanted to create a discussion where we can discuss things we wish would have been done or handled differently by law enforcement. My vote goes to the calls that were made to Melissa Barthelemy's sister, Amanda. Snippets should have been released to the public by the cops for listening purposes. We know for sure that they had a tap on her cell once the assumed killer started calling her. They determined the calls were made near Madison Square Garden and The Port Authority. I've worked at the same place for nearly 8 years, and can tell you honestly that, by now, when people call they don't even need to give me their names. I recognize the voice. In the past others cases have been solved in such a fashion. What are your ideas?


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    "The mind is it's own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." - John Milton, Paradise Lost

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,104
    More information should be released about the calls MB boyfriend received. Did the police attempt to put a trace on his phone? Were those calls taped? What dates and times did the calls start and stop. It would have been a good idea for anyone getting calls to tape the caller themselves and release copies to all of the news stations for all to hear.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,104
    All the family members and friends of the victims should head down to the SCPD and protest. They should carry signs demanding the police to release the voice of the killer to the media so he can be identified. A Saturday sounds like a good time to do this . They can notify all the media outlets in advance so they can attend.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    430
    Alright, well I heard that:
    - callls were taped, and LE has those tapes.
    - that releasing any soundclip to the public results in tens of thousands of responses from people who think they recognize the voice, and they're mistaken. Too many leads to follow up on, no money or manpower to do it.
    - that releasing soundclips causes duress and pain for the victim's family and friends.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousDust View Post
    Alright, well I heard that:
    - callls were taped, and LE has those tapes.
    - that releasing any soundclip to the public results in tens of thousands of responses from people who think they recognize the voice, and they're mistaken. Too many leads to follow up on, no money or manpower to do it.
    - that releasing soundclips causes duress and pain for the victim's family and friends.
    What's more painful for the families, listening to a 30 second sound clip or the killer walking around at this very moment as a free man?


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    "The mind is it's own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." - John Milton, Paradise Lost

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by genericwhitemale View Post
    What's more painful for the families, listening to a 30 second sound clip or the killer walking around at this very moment as a free man?
    Yeah, the families can get the sound clips being played repetitively and the killer walking around as a free man. Seems too good to pass up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousDust View Post
    Yeah, the families can get the sound clips being played repetitively and the killer walking around as a free man. Seems too good to pass up.
    Well, at some point you either have to **** or get off the pot. I believe that's the way the saying goes. What are your suggestions? Got anything better? These families have already been through the toughest part in losing a loved one, what I'm suggesting should be child's play for them by now. Aren't you the same guy who professed to have a really good idea as to whom the killer was in your very first post here, and then left us all hanging as, I'm sure, your assumptions fell apart?


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    "The mind is it's own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." - John Milton, Paradise Lost

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    488
    All due respect some assumptions are being made in this discussion that cannot be proven;

    1) There has never been any confirmation that MB's boyfriend ever received any calls. It was one reporter's news article written about this info through information that reporter received from MB's boyfriend through a text message interview with him. The SCPD has never released any statement to verify this as a fact.

    2) We do not know any specific details about any recordings of calls to MB's sisters by the police. All we really know is that the police attempted to trace the calls. We also know that MB's mom kept a written journal of the calls that she later handed to the police to help them investigate. There were also text messages. We do not know the content of those texts either.

    And they're re-examining every bit of evidence in the cases, including that first call to Amanda, which was followed by a half-dozen more during the next six weeks.

    The killer always phoned in the evenings, spoke briefly and in a low voice -- and only to Amanda. He calmly spewed taunts and allegations. He sent text messages.

    "He wouldn't talk to anybody but her," said Lynn Barthelemy, who documented the barrage in a journal she gave police. "One time I answered, and he hung up as soon as he heard my voice."

    Cops began to triangulate the phone, pinpointing the caller's location to Times Square, Madison Square Garden and Massapequa, a short drive from Gilgo Beach. They showed Melissa's picture around at strip clubs. Did her murderer work in Midtown and commute from Long Island?

    The girls were close, and their family wondered: Had the killer gotten a glimpse of Amanda, who twice came to stay with Melissa?

    "When Amanda went down there, the first thing they did was to get a manicure and pedicure," said their mom. "They went to the zoo and the Statue of Liberty."

    But the sister did not recall anyone who might have been a suspect.

    The calls abruptly stopped in August 2009 after a Buffalo TV station revealed their existence.


    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/10...#ixzz2TPxqc8oV
    Copyright © 2016 PS149 —All Rights Reserved— Any duplication of any portion of this post except on Websleuths.com without the express written permission of PS149 shall be punishable to the full extent of the law.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    Being a former probation officer, I can almost guarantee that the police know a whole lot more than they are dishing out to the public, which might or might now work in their favor depending upon how close they are to getting this guy. There are 3 main reasons why Law Enforcement may keep things on the down-low..

    Reason #1- They have a suspect already locked in, and have strong evidence, but are waiting to get more evidence so their arrest can lead to a conviction. Basically, the case is closed in this scenario. Police Officers, and if the guy has priors, detectives will also inform probation officers or parole officers to keep secret tabs on him, and to make sure he isn't trying commit anymore of these horrible crimes while he is on the street, and not yet in police custody, and also draft an order of violation of probation or parole on the very very slightest breaking of the law, so they can have him in custody and buy some more time.

    Reason #2- They have a few strong leads, and are very close to cracking the case and do not want to release additional information, as it would tip off the suspects and they would flee, commit suicide, and/or try to destroy evidence or interfere with the case.

    Reason #3- It is a complicated case, and they are not close to solving it, and cannot afford to follow up on bad leads or have their case crumble in the future by people coming out and making false accusations, such as knowing whose voice it is on the calls. Additionally, preserving the evidence/information allows confessions to hold more weight and convictions to stand ground, and ultimately leads to making sure only guilty people go to jail. For example, if the suspect does not exercise their fifth amendment right and willingly makes statements and gives information to the police, the police can certify the validity of his statements as he would have information only the killer would no, as that or those pieces of information would have never been released to the public
    Last edited by mayankoza; 05-16-2013 at 01:31 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    My guess is the detectives are closer to solving this than most people think. This isn't a case where there are no bodies left behind, or forensic evidence. I personally believe he will get caught by a combination of tracing his computer and/or phones, and also because of those burlap bags, due to those being unique and able to be traced back to their owners, and because a lot of forensics can come from them. The Key is his crimes started and heavily involved using advanced modern day technology, and his crimes basically ended with him using old unique, and traceable man made material in the burlap bags. There are a lot of clues and areas to work with in this case, which again leads me to believe they are close to solving this.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by genericwhitemale View Post
    Aren't you the same guy who professed to have a really good idea as to whom the killer was in your very first post here, and then left us all hanging as, I'm sure, your assumptions fell apart?
    No. Like many others, I have a theory, and I expressed it in detail to several people through email and private message; my assumptions didn't fall apart. As per that theory - killer's dead, LE knows who the killer was, there's no point in playing sound clips to anyone.
    Last edited by PreciousDust; 05-16-2013 at 07:37 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousDust View Post
    No. Like many others, I have a theory, and I expressed it in detail to several people through email and private message; my assumptions didn't fall apart. As per that theory - killer's dead, LE knows who the killer was, there's no point in playing sound clips to anyone.
    That's great. I'll take your word for it.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    "The mind is it's own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." - John Milton, Paradise Lost

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by genericwhitemale View Post
    That's great. I'll take your word for it.
    I'm very relieved that you believe me, thank you so much.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    I do not think the killer is dead otherwise LE would have released that information because it would officially close the case with the public and the media. Furthermore, it would allow a sigh of relief for everyone knowing there is not a serial killer hunting on Long Island anymore. From my experience with LE, police officers and detectives let people know right away when something is solved, or when there is information that can put the fears of the public to rest. For example, in a recent home invasion triple murder case, they quickly came out and said it was not a random act of violence, and family was targeted, etc... Obviously this is important for them to leak out so the neighborhood and community does not go crazy in fear that there is a predator striking at random. Despite the rumors and beliefs, LE does not keep solved cases a secret.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by mayankoza View Post
    I do not think the killer is dead otherwise LE would have released that information because it would officially close the case with the public and the media. Furthermore, it would allow a sigh of relief for everyone knowing there is not a serial killer hunting on Long Island anymore. From my experience with LE, police officers and detectives let people know right away when something is solved, or when there is information that can put the fears of the public to rest. For example, in a recent home invasion triple murder case, they quickly came out and said it was not a random act of violence, and family was targeted, etc... Obviously this is important for them to leak out so the neighborhood and community does not go crazy in fear that there is a predator striking at random. Despite the rumors and beliefs, LE does not keep solved cases a secret.
    I wouldn't know how, or where, to start.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Time to Think Differently?
    By Trino in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 03:56 AM
  2. What would you have done differently?
    By christine2448 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 01:08 PM
  3. If You Were LE What Would You Have Done Differently?
    By capps in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 08:09 PM