951 users online (142 members and 809 guests)  

Websleuths News

TN - Erin Foster, 18, & Jeremy Bechtel, 17, Sparta, 3 April 2000

Jeremy Lee Bechtel

Endangered Missing -- Missing Since: April 3, 2000

Missing From: Sparta, Tennessee

Height: 5'8" -- Weight: 155 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Blue

Jeremy's ears are pierced multiple times each.

Erin Leigh Foster

Endangered Missing -- Missing Since: April 3, 2000

Missing From: Sparta, Tennessee

Height: 5'8" -- Weight: 115 lbs -- Hair Color: Blonde -- Eye Color: Blue

Jeremy's ears are pierced multiple times each.

Jeremy and Erin visited a mutual friend in Sparta, Tennessee, then left in Erin's car. Witnesses saw them outside of Sparta at approximately 10:00 pm on April 3, 2003. They may have left of their own accord, but the circumstances are unclear. Both remain missing.

NCMEC

NamUs

Charley Project
    Last edited by KateB; 04-08-2015 at 02:16 AM.

A new article about this disappearance. http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/ja...-12-years-ago/

Quote Originally Posted by MagnoliaMountain View Post
    Jeremy Bechtel

Erin Foster

Missing for 13 years. Come home soon.
    for bumping, MagnoliaMountain!

It's discouraging how little there seems to be out there regarding Erin and Jeremy's disappearance.

As stated in other cases here, Topix posts should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's one of the few things I saw in a search about the case other than their pages at Charley Project, NAMPN, etc.:

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/spar...5GQHRBN2O0FRM2
    Here a , there a , everywhere a

i live in this area and this is the first i have ever heard of this case
    ~*you never know how much you miss a person until you actually have to miss them*~

Beautiful Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee
    Jeremy and Erin, still praying for you both and just a little bump here to say, You are not forgotten~

This is an old 2013 news report~

Ledbetter believes her son and his girlfriend did not run away. Bechtel worked at the Sparta Burger King while he attended high school. Erin also worked at a nearby restaurant. They never picked up their checks.

"If they were going to run, they would need money, for food and shelter," said Ledbetter.

Adding another layer of mystery to the disappearance, both Bechtel and Foster were last seen in the car belonging to Foster's father. The car was never found.

Throughout the years, Ledbetter has never given up hope that her son will be found.

"Somebody knows what happened. I don't care what happened, I just want my son and Erin back home," said Ledbetter.

If you have any information on the disappearance of Bechtel and Foster, call the White County sheriff's department at 931-836-2700.
    http://www.wsmv.com/story/23521378/m...-will-be-found

Whenever people are missing and the vehicle is never found, my first thought is in the water.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

There aren't many water sources in Sparta, according to Google Maps, but the Calfkiller River runs right through it. Wiki reports that in Sparta, the river has steep embankments on both sides. It seems like a fairly big river. There's also Town Creek, but it's tiiiiny. None of the ponds (I hesitate to call them lakes) on the map have names on Google.

The Topix post above has several interesting tidbits, but it's all rumour....still, I'm posting some of the more interesting ones. (I wish that there was a way to spoiler these, it's so long! ><; )

"Gerath Bradley and Erin dated for several years on and off. Gerath was very controling, jealous, and at time abusive verbally and mentally. I have been told that he was mean enough and smart enough to do something and get away with it. He was one of the last people that Erin and Jeremy were seen with before they went missing and the only person I know that would have motive to harm either of them. I Know that he used to tell her that if he couldnt have her no one would and he would kill his self if she ever left him, and that is a fact. The main reason I feel that Gerath is the one that done something to them is HE NEVER LOOKED FOR ERIN AFTER SHE WENT MISSING."

"I know this is probably just another rumor..... but I have heard from 2 completely different people (who have been known to do drugs every now and then) that there is a guy who has bragged about killing erin and jeremy and saying "its easy to hide a body when you bury it 2 feet above another." Both never gave me a name. But maybe this guy just wants attention. But I did urge these people to report this. Even if it is a lead that goes no where, they still made an attempt. Not sure if they did or not. My heart does go out to the family's. No one should ever have to go through the torture of the unknown that they've endured."

"
    just a note wrote:
    I know this is probably just another rumor..... but I have heard from 2 completely different people (who have been known to do drugs every now and then) that there is a guy who has bragged about killing erin and jeremy and saying "its easy to hide a body when you bury it 2 feet above another." Both never gave me a name. But maybe this guy just wants attention. But I did urge these people to report this. Even if it is a lead that goes no where, they still made an attempt. Not sure if they did or not. My heart does go out to the family's. No one should ever have to go through the torture of the unknown that they've endured.
    bury it 2 feet above another? that would be almost ingenious of someone to find a freshly filled burial plot and bury a victim in that spot. who would ever think to examine a site like that? its sad that sparta ranks in the top 10 cities of the united states to get away with murder.

i dont blame the police department, they are so underpaid for what they do its horrible. you get what you pay for "

"
    well wrote:
    i guess thats why Gerath's dad built him a house in Florida because they know he had something to do with it hes running away
    he was in rehab in florida......as if it will do any good. he's a ****ing sack of ****...and i'm related to him. tell me more about this missing girl. this side of the family has never been told this, but he is capable of anything and his mommy defends and protects/enables him. please fill me in. i despise his ass. he was evil as a baby. killed small animals with a hammer. but nathan would never cover for him. he thinks he's an ass too.

bodog wrote:
    If any one would like to share any info on this case, they can email me at tnbea2003@yahoo.com I worked this case from the beginning and since I have moved from that area Im not close to the investigation, but if anyone wants to sahre true confidential info, contact me at the email above so we can have a private email or phone conversation.
    as a relative (ashamedly) of gerath, these posts are a shock to me...then again, not really. when did these kids disappear? i would very much like to hear more. it's a shame his sister died 3 yrs ago and not him! he is capable of anything shifty and illegal. please contact me privately. this doesn't set well with me."

"Tiffany Oliver is also missing from Sparta. Doesn't seem like much has been done about that either."

"
    anita murphy wrote:
    10 years? get real. they were too young to know how to go about obtaining a new identity. even then, going to canada required identification. what about work permits, etc. SOMEONE SHOULD NUDGE THE FBI TO INVESTIGATE. has this happened? someone has to know something!
    Don't underestimate someone just because they're young.I just recently learned there were sightings of these two not long after they were reported missing.The then sheriff sent officers to three different states to look for them.They're not in the federal witness program or the sheriff wouldn't go looking for them out of state or would he?Goff was trying to get national publicity he brought in all the local television stations but I was told some of the missing kids family members made smart comments about it.I guess they would rather nothing be done huh but then ***** when nothing gets done.He was the only sheriff that did anything that I can see."

"Gerath has been quoted as saying that the best place to hide a body is under another one - perhaps a local cemetery holds the answers? but then, where is the car? how many chop shops are in the area? Here's hoping that justice is served and the responsible party/parties get a reserved seat in "ole sparky" for this!(and in hell)"

"
    Wondering wrote:
    Is Gerath the Gerath Michelle Bradley on facebook?? I read he had passed a poly.
    I heard he fed them to pigs he's threaten that before"

There's a lot of chatter about how the police department there is underfunded and more interested in bribes and petty drug busts than revealing cover-ups. The cousin of Gareth (Erin's former boyfriend, suspect) commented again later on in the thread (about 4 years later, or so), but it was mostly just cursing his cousin and berating LE. In addition, it seems Tiffany Oliver was found 3 years ago, having come back to Sparta voluntarily. (Article: http://spartalive.com/tiffany-oliver...s-with-family/ )

Don't know if this helps much, but I figured I'd try. Sparta's a county seat, but it's a pretty poor, small town (nearly a quarter of the residents are under the poverty line) with a drug problem. The county itself is pretty poor overall, which isn't surprising, sadly. With all the accusations of corruption, I wish the FBI would consider this case, but to most people, they either ran away or were part of a drug deal gone bad. Tragic, considering they seemed to be good, upstanding kids, by all accounts. ;^;
    You never think one of these cases could be in your town, and when it is.....it's freaky.