934 users online (142 members and 792 guests)  

Websleuths News

6 dead, at least 14 missing as tornadoes rip through Texas

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ugh-texas?lite

At least six people were killed and dozens more were injured as the year's deadliest tornado outbreak struck northern Texas late Wednesday, authorities said.

Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds told a news conference early Thursday that the death toll could grow as 14 people remained unaccounted for.

"It's definitely a nightmare," Deeds said.

Granbury, a town of 8,000 about 65 miles southwest of Dallas, was thought to be among the worst-hit areas. Images of the town revealed leveled homes, badly damaged cars, uprooted trees and downed power lines.

More at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I wonder if we have any WSers affected by the tornados. Anyone want to check in and let us know you are ok?

There are lots of us in Texas. That storm system passed my area earlier in the evening but all we got was very strong winds and a little bit of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awful...hope the missing went somewhere else for safety or were out of town. TGIRecovered good idea to have our Texas posters let us know they are safe.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

My son's little family lives due east of the area hardest hit (they are all safe). My thoughts and prayers are with all who were in the storm's path.

Yes, TXWSers, please check in when you can!!!

http://www.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen/

i actually saw 2 tornados touch down yesterday on one of the stormchasers live streams.
    the chasers also go around helping and giving reports when things go bad on the ground.

there are tornado warnings starting to show up on the map within the last 5 minutes. stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by nao View Post

i actually saw 2 tornados touch down yesterday on one of the stormchasers live streams.
    the chasers also go around helping and giving reports when things go bad on the ground.

there are tornado warnings starting to show up on the map within the last 5 minutes. stay safe.
    Everyone stay safe!

chasers chasing in Lousiana (lots of trees down) tornado warnings
    chasing in Kansas as well

live streams at link below

'We're going to keep on looking': Day after deadly Texas tornadoes, search continues for victims

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...r-victims?lite

Nearly 100 damaged North Texas homes remained off limits as crews in the hardest-hit areas continued to a search for survivors and victims of a tornado swarm that left six dead.

As of Thursday night, seven people remained missing, even as hundreds had already checked-in with authorities.

Crews were still combing through wreckage in Granbury, Texas, nearly 24 hours after series of twisters laid waste to large swaths of the area..........

Officials on Thursday evening released the names of the dead: Jose Tovas Alvarez, 34, Robert Whitehead, 60, Tommy Martin, 61, Marjari Davis, 82, Leo Stefanski, 83, and Glenda White, whose age wasn't known. The identities of the missing were not made public............more.............

Has a slideshow......

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

The slide show was pretty amazing. Tornadoes do the weirdest things.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Hood Co. resident checking in

I am back online and feel so relieved because my family and I are safe and our house is fine. I have cried for my fellow Hood Co. " neighbors" since word of the tornado and loss of lives and many severe injuries were reported on DFW news late Wed night. i am so heartsick over the loss of life and the 7-8 people(reported to all be adults) still missing.
    The major tornado which touched down in Granbury went over our house in unincorporated Hood Co, but, thank God, did not touch down at that point. My " storm spotter" husband saw it go over while I was in a small room under the stairs with our dogs. We were incredibly lucky and tornadoes are incredibly unpredictable as far as where they touch down.

I would like to say something about the efficiency of this little county's emergency notification system and the somewhat erroneous reports that seemed to indicate that we, that is, Granbury and Hood Co. were unprepared for the incoming storm. There have been some people interviewed in videos who have said there was no advance warning. This is definitely not the case unless a person was in their car without a radio. Storm cells producing multiple tornadoes were reported in breaking news interruptions on all TV outlets and on radio stations throughout the area and in the DFW metro area for several hours before we even had rain.
    I called my husband at his office in Fort Worth and asked him to please come home early, very early as the storm cells west of Granbury were worsening. He came home around 5 PM, thank goodness.

Next, Hood Co. has a progressive emergency notification system for a mostly rural county. There is a voluntary system called " Code Red" which all residents of the county can sign up for online or by phone. When there is an emergency or threat of emergency situation in the part of the county where the registered residents are located, we are notified by our pre-registered phone call, email or text. We have 3 phone numbers registered and all were called with the pre-recorded message to seek shelter immediately due to the worsening storm conditions as soon as the NWS had issued a tornado warning for Hood Co. There was time to get to a safe room. By super cell storm system criteria, this was a slow- moving storm cell.

Lastly, Hood Co. is in very close proximity to a nuclear power plant, Comanche Peak. Therefore, there are warning sirens in place all over the county which are also used to warn of approaching tornadoes or possible tornadoes. I can vouch for their chilling loudness and effective warning starting around 6: 45 Wednesday evening and continuing for what seemed like hours.
    Residents had time to shelter in place. I think most people did the best they could to protect themselves.This does not mean that houses in the direct path of a EF-4 tornado would remain standing or that the occupants would survive, as we know.

For those who are not familiar with Texas, the soil conditions are not conducive to houses being built with basements, which was a shock for me when we moved to the state. Also, for reasons I cannot explain, to the best of my knowledge, there are no to very few designated community storm shelters such as our well- built brick schools and churches for people who live in manufactured housing or who are traveling on our roadways and get " stuck" in a major storm system to evacuate to. I can't find an answer as to " why no shelters" but it is a huge deficit compared to what exists in most of the southern part of the country, IMO.

If you live in a tornado- prone area without effective storm shelters, this link may be of interest to you. We are making plans now to have a free- standing shelter erected in our house.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles...-residents.ece

Those of us locally who are lucky enough to still have a home are donating time and services to the shelters and also to the animal shelters for displaced animals, and we will continue to help out.

I am so concerned that Sheriff Deeds is reporting that 7-8 adults are still missing. If anyone has survived being trapped in rubble for just over 24 hours, tomorrow's temp. is expected to hit 90 degrees. Please pray.

I'm in west texas and outdoor storm cellars used to be fairly common if people wanted one, but right, very few with indoor basements.

SeekingJana glad to see you and to hear you made it without damage. Family ok? So sorry for the damage to your community.

Hopefully some of the missing are just in other areas and haven't checked in yet. Though there were probably some that weren't.

Sounds like you are going to be very busy. I know after a traumatic event like this people come out to help. Very heartwarming at a time that things look so bad.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

SeekingJane...how weird the lack of storm shelters for trailer parks in Texas! It is the law in my part of Missouri all trailer park/courts must have a storm shelter and many public buildings have signs designating them as a storm/tornado shelter. I guess the cost is an issue as basements are very very common here and easy to build. We don't have to blast through rock to build them.

Glad you are safe. All missing residents have now been located.

http://news.yahoo.com/monster-texas-...064601088.html

GRANBURY, Texas (Reuters) - All seven of the people listed as missing following a monster tornado on Wednesday have now been accounted for in Granbury, Texas, leaving the death toll at six, authorities said on Friday.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It is so wonderful and a huge relief that the people believed to be missing have been found safe.

Show Me, thank you for the links regarding resources and safety in storms. When things settle down a bit more, I will check them all out as we need a large survival/ first aid supply in our home as well as a storm shelter due to our remote location.

I am so blessed to interact with the survivors of the tornado. Most of them are people of great faith, and the attitude is so very upbeat and resilient. I leave half in tears and half smiling every time I go to a relief aid area. Native Texans have some kind of super strong backbones that AMAZE me!!

If anyone reading is in TX, I think the H.E.B. groceries are taking Red Cross donations. I know the ones around here are and the money all goes directly to the local Red Cross.