1035 users online (206 members and 829 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

University professor, wife killed in Nebraska *Arrest Made*

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/16/us/neb...html?hpt=hp_t2

<modsnip>

Roger and Mary Brumback, both 65, were found dead at their home early Tuesday by officers responding to a welfare call.............

<modsnip>

However, they have said a cold case unit is assisting to determine whether there is a connection between the case and the unsolved killings of Shirlee Sherman and Thomas Hunter.

More at link.....
    Last edited by bessie; 07-22-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

WS link on murders of Shirlee Sherman and Thomas Hunter:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2414811&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Omaha double murder[/ame]

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...ebraska/nXsbD/

.........No arrests have been made in the killings of Dr. Roger A. Brumback, 65, and his wife, Mary, whose bodies were found Tuesday, authorities said. Police won't say how the couple was killed, but said the case was being investigated as a double homicide..........

<modsnip>

He was a noted researcher in Alzheimer's disease and served as chairman of the Pathology Department of the Creighton University School of Medicine from 2001-2010.........more...........
    Last edited by bessie; 07-22-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule

Thanks for the thread, reader. We have been discussing these murders on the Omaha double Murder thread. Bringing this link over.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013051...ouble-homicide
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

There are already two pages or so of discussion on this case on the other thread- about the first two murders. Maybe those comments need to be merged into tis one? Hard to make a call here- both murders seem related but if any mods are reading maybe you cab decide?
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...stions-687985/

Police are investigating the deaths as a double homicide. They mark the second killing in connection with the Creighton University pathology department, where Dr. Brumback was a professor and department chair, in five years.

Thomas Hunter, 11, and Shirlee Sherman, 57, the son and housekeeper of his colleague William Hunter, were fatally stabbed inside the family's home in 2008, the Omaha World-Herald reported. That case remains unsolved............

<modsnip>

The World-Herald is reporting the Brumbacks were discovered Tuesday morning when a piano mover, Jason Peterson, called police after he arrived at the couple's home and found the front door unlocked and a large-caliber gun clip on the threshold............

<modsnip>

More at link......
    Last edited by bessie; 07-22-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule

Catching up

Hi! I haven't been back here in quite awhile and need to get caught up. Missed you guys!

Is the Dr. Hunter and current double homicide of the doctor and his wife connected? Interesting theory and I heard that Dr. Hunter was a friend of his.

I posted something similar on the Dundee thread so will repeat here.

It occurs to me that Dr Brumback was doing research in Alzheimer's and other areas that could have involved stem cell research. I know there are strict limits as to where they can go on this at Catholic institutions such as CU. Is it possible that someone there felt that he was transgressing those boundaries? Also the same person was motivated to take out the son of another Dr also doing similar research?

Not my wish to offend- I have friends active in pro-life activities and they will tell me there are extremists in that movement as in any other. If this idea is valid it'd suggest to me that whoever did these crimes is someone right there at CU. Maybe they need to look for a file clerk in medical records...

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post

It occurs to me that Dr Brumback was doing research in Alzheimer's and other areas that could have involved stem cell research. I know there are strict limits as to where they can go on this at Catholic institutions such as CU. Is it possible that someone there felt that he was transgressing those boundaries? Also the same person was motivated to take out the son of another Dr also doing similar research?

Not my wish to offend- I have friends active in pro-life activities and they will tell me there are extremists in that movement as in any other. If this idea is valid it'd suggest to me that whoever did these crimes is someone right there at CU. Maybe they need to look for a file clerk in medical records...
    I wonder if stem cell research is allowed at CU? Is there any way we can find out?

Community Forum on Stem Cell Research
    Frequently Asked Questions:

What is Creighton University’s position on embryonic stem cell research?
    Creighton University, in its public and official identity as a Catholic, Jesuit institution, reaffirms its commitment to Catholic teaching regarding human life.
    Catholic teaching is clear. It is not morally licit to conduct any research on stem cells obtained from the direct destruction of embryos or fetuses.

Is the Church opposed to all stem cell research?
    No. The Church is opposed to the use of embryonic stem cells in research. Research with adult stem cells that neither create nor destroy life but which have the promise of curing disease is approved and encouraged by the Church.

http://chpe.creighton.edu/events/oth...emcell-faq.htm

I do understand Catholic teaching on this matter and am not alleging that anything contrary to that was going on at CU. However all it would take to set something in motion for some disturbed individual would be to THINK or suspect there was. Perhaps something they saw on a lab report, etc, who knows? It was just offered as an angle LE may want to look at.

We know the world of academia is rife with rivalries and jealousies; that could also be in play here. I will say if these killings are linked it sort of puts the kibosh on this being a serial killer, at least a transient one; he wouldn't go back to the same city and do it again- or, would he??

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post

It seems to me if he was doing this type of research he would make doubly and triply sure of the boundaries because to overstep would mean failure of his project(s). Someone doing this type of research wants to make sure he can finish the project and of course publish the results eventually.

Now there very may well be someone who is against stem cell research PERIOD--that is a real possibility.

Now, about perceived transgressions:
    I have posted about a neurologist I worked for who did muscular dystrophy research. I know for a fact he used live mice in his research. I was not allowed to say so or to refer to anything (supplies, cages, etc.) because the institution did not want it known there were animals used in the research. They had permission through official channels, but they didn't want animal rights people trying to sabotage their work.
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

What is considered a large caliber gun clip? It was found at the threshold of the door and the door was ajar and the piano mover could see the Dr's body inside a few feet from the door but there was no visible blood. Wouldn't a large caliber weapon cause alot of blood loss? How could that gun clip be left behind on the door's threshold? Hopefully a big mistake on the killer's part.

Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    What is considered a large caliber gun clip? It was found at the threshold of the door and the door was ajar and the piano mover could see the Dr's body inside a few feet from the door but there was no visible blood. Wouldn't a large caliber weapon cause alot of blood loss? How could that gun clip be left behind on the door's threshold? Hopefully a big mistake on the killer's part.

Yes, it could prove to have been a major mistake. I am sure there are people on here more versed in firearms than myself but wouldn't it be possible for LE to trace back a discarded clip to the gun shop or outlet that sold it?

Snick, IMO, from what little info we have. But it appears to me that there may have been a confrontation at the front door by the clip being found there. The perp may not have realized he dropped it if there was a scuffle. Hopefully it can be traced.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast