1215 users online (220 members and 995 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Thoughts:

The pathologists 'missed' a diagnosis of a loved one and revenge is the motive. (Least likely in my book: Pathologists do not work in groups on your run of the mill diagnostic stuff.)
    The pathologists published findings about something, and left out a colleague from the credits. (Semi-likely: Sounds petty, can be wildly important in the academic world.)
    The commonality of pathology as a career is incidental, the two killings may be connected, but the victims could be linked by a career in insurance and the outcome would be the same. In other words, the killings are linked because the victims/ families knew each other only. (Unlikely? IDK)
    Two random killings - a tragic coincidence.

What else?

Quote Originally Posted by marycarney View Post
    Thoughts:

The pathologists 'missed' a diagnosis of a loved one and revenge is the motive. (Least likely in my book: Pathologists do not work in groups on your run of the mill diagnostic stuff.)
    The pathologists published findings about something, and left out a colleague from the credits. (Semi-likely: Sounds petty, can be wildly important in the academic world.)
    The commonality of pathology as a career is incidental, the two killings may be connected, but the victims could be linked by a career in insurance and the outcome would be the same. In other words, the killings are linked because the victims/ families knew each other only. (Unlikely? IDK)

What else?
    I had mentioned one idea I had that someone at CU is obsessed with the idea that some 'evil' is being done in the Pathology department- It wouldn't need to be a CU staffer, it could easily be someone in the public- and, this is their way of making themselves some instrument of God to punish the evildoers. It could be related to some experimental processes done in Pathology. Some of our contributors have already mentioned that no stem cell research is going on, but someone might still think it is. Is there anything involving animals going on there? There are unstable individuals in the animal Rights movement.

To me however, the gap between these killings suggests some strong deeply personal motive. Five years wait between killings suggests a lot of anger on some personal level. I think OPD checked the hell out of student records in 2008 for angry ex Pathology students.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

I can't think of anything that would be done on animals in a patho lab. A vet patho lab, sure, but not an MD pathologist.

And then you have to figure in that the killer(s) didn't actually succeed in killing the original target - if the first pathologist WAS the original target. I wonder if further attempts have been made on his life?

Please don't misinterpret the next statement, it is not meant to sound disrespectful in any way- but this is going to make a great true-crime book when it's solved.

I think this link/article has also been posted on the other thread but some quotes caught my eye:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013052...sting-wide-net

“The investigation has to be multidimensional, looking in all different directions,'' said Gregg McCrary, a former FBI criminal profiler. “Obviously there's interest in whether it could be connected to the pathology department. Or it could be just some bizarre coincidence.''

Said Mike Butera, a former Omaha police captain in the criminal investigation bureau who now teaches criminal justice at Bellevue University:

“Looking at it from the outside, it's easy to connect those dots and make assumptions about potential connections to another case. But assumptions are dangerous, because they could lead you to something different than what the facts are showing.''
    On Friday, May 10, Brumback attended a meeting in Lincoln as a member of the Nebraska Board of Medicine and Surgery, the licensing board for physicians in Nebraska.

Brumback was not due to work again at Creighton until the following Tuesday. He didn't show up for work that day, and it was later that morning that the bodies of Brumback and his wife were found. While police have not said when they believe the deaths occurred, it appears in their questioning at one point last week that they were focusing on a time frame between Sunday night and Monday.
    If the slayings are linked, it would be quite unusual for someone to commit related killings five years apart, said McCrary, the former FBI profiler who now lives near Washington, D.C. But it can happen, he said, particularly if there's a precipitating event that rekindles an old grudge.

“It sounds to me like they're doing the right thing, looking for commonality and seeing if there are links between the cases,'' he said.
    I'm wondering if a 'precipitating event' could be the Brumback's retirement and plans to move shortly. Even if the 2 cases are not linked, maybe someone wanted to get to the Brumbacks before they left the area, which leads to the idea that it's someone local who knew about their plans.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Thoughts:

What else?
    Publishing something and leaving colleague out usually results in complains to the publisher, not murder. I don't see that as a plausible motive.
    Just my opinion

Maybe not - but you must admit that murderers are not necessarily bound by the laws of logic. And a grudge - a long-held grudge - is not an infrequent motive for murder.

Nothing new?????

Nothing new?????
    None that I can find today in the links I have, but the chief said they would only release information when it was to their advantage, so......I'll keep checking.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Thoughts:

What else?
    -a severely disgruntled or mentally ill former medical student
    -a severely disgruntled or mentally ill employee (past or present) of the university
    -someone who is trying to conceal the motive of the first murder by leading the FBI/police on a wild goose chase

When you get a pathology report back from a university lab, the result doesn't specify which pathologist examined the specimen. The bill only lists the department like "University of Pittsburgh Physicians Pathology". Maybe some sicko is trying to "punish" all of the pathology department because he/she doesn't know the pathologist that incorrectly read a specimen? It seems logical to think that the sicko previously shot the housekeeper not knowing that this person was not a university pathologist or his wife.
    Last edited by Pensfan; 06-02-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Quote (from post above on this page)
    On Friday, May 10, Brumback attended a meeting in Lincoln as a member of the Nebraska Board of Medicine and Surgery, the licensing board for physicians in Nebraska.

Brumback was not due to work again at Creighton until the following Tuesday. He didn't show up for work that day, and it was later that morning that the bodies of Brumback and his wife were found. While police have not said when they believe the deaths occurred, it appears in their questioning at one point last week that they were focusing on a time frame between Sunday night and Monday.

Did Dr. Brumback just return from a meeting where he had voted to terminate or suspend someone's medical license? What was the purpose of that meeting? Was his license in jeopardy?

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan View Post
    -a severely disgruntled or mentally ill former medical student
    -a severely disgruntled or mentally ill employee (past or present) of the university
    -someone who is trying to conceal the motive of the first murder by leading the FBI/police on a wild goose chase

I think your first thought was the most likely. When you get a pathology report back from a university lab, the result doesn't specify which pathologist examined the specimen. The bill only lists the department like "University of Pittsburgh Physicians Pathology". Maybe some sicko is trying to "punish" all of the pathology department because he/she doesn't know the pathologist that incorrectly read a specimen? It seems logical to think that the sicko previously shot the housekeeper not knowing that this person was not a university pathologist or his wife.
    BBM: When you get the BILL, the physician is not specified, but when you get the REPORT from the medical record, it is definitely signed. It is part of the medical record, and a signature is REQUIRED.

Police appear to be nowhere close to solving the first murder. So I am not sure what would be the point of concealing motive for the first murder-police don't appear to have a clue so they are confused as it is.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan View Post
    Quote (from post above on this page)

Did Dr. Brumback just return from a meeting where he had voted to terminate or suspend someone's medical license? What was the purpose of that meeting? Was his license in jeopardy?
    http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Lice...medminutes.pdf

Dr. Brumback was the secretary of the board. The minutes from the May meeting are not posted (possibly, they are being withheld?). But from other minutes I looked through, the board goes into 'closed session' when considering these matters (suspensions and the like) and the particulars are not found in the minutes what get posted online.

It would be interesting to know Dr. Brumback's malpractice history, but it's possible that someone could have been very upset at one of Dr. Brumback's diagnosis and never filed a malpractice claim.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Lice...medminutes.pdf

Dr. Brumback was the secretary of the board. The minutes from the May meeting are not posted (possibly, they are being withheld?). But from other minutes I looked through, the board goes into 'closed session' when considering these matters (suspensions and the like) and the particulars are not found in the minutes what get posted online.
    Thanks for finding and posting that. Not knowing why Dr. Brumback was killed, the other board members have to be frightened.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast