Missing Men in North Dakota Oil Boom Town, Bakken Formation

GetSmart

Reaction score
This scares the HELL out of me . My son has been working in Williston N.D. on the Oil Rig

He says it is wild there. His company paid like 2 grand a month for a place to park the 5th Wheel for him and his roomies. Food prices are outrageous
Murder in Bakken Formation: Police probe possible connection to other disappearances

The murder of a North Dakota man has authorities investigating whether other recent missing persons cases are connected or the work of separate criminals who've descended on the area known as the Bakken Formation, where new discoveries of oil and natural gas have drawn thousands of transient newcomers and strained the resources of police.

Police on Tuesday found the body of 58-year-old Jack Sjol in a shallow grave about six miles southeast of his ranch in Williston. Sjol was shot "multiple times," and authorities arrested and charged 33-year-old Ryan Stensaker with his murder, Williams County Sheriff Scott Busching told FoxNews.com. Stensaker, who has a history of drug-related convictions, is being held on $1 million bail.

"He would give the shirt off his back for someone," Sjol's niece, Aubrey Millar, said in an interview. "When you think of the stereotypical North Dakota cowboy, that's him."

"He was always there to help. He never wanted anything in return," Millar said of her uncle, a 30-year Williston resident, who was last seen on April 24.

"We have over 90,000 man camp beds permitted in Williams County alone, and countless RV’s, RV parks, sanctioned or not."

- Williams County (N.D.) Sheriff Scott Busching

Sjol's case is one of several missing persons cases to hit the area since an influx of people moved to the region in pursuit of high-paying jobs in the oil and gas industry.

Kristopher "KC" Clarke, 29, was last seen more than a year ago in the Williston area. Clarke, originally from Washington state, disappeared under suspicious circumstances, according to his mother, Jill Williams.

Authorities are also searching for 30-year-old Eric Haider, who lived in Bismarck and worked in Dickinson, about 132 miles away from Williston. Haider was last seen on May 24, 2012, at his job site.

Investigators are considering whether the men's disappearances are connected or whether they are separate crimes committed by convicts who find it easy to go undetected in an area that's experienced a recent population boom because of discoveries in the 200,000-square-mile Bakken Formation, which stretches through swaths of North Dakota and Montana. So many men have moved in recent years to North Dakota, where unemployment is the lowest in the nation, that they must live in camps and RVs because new home construction can't keep up with demand.

"They're separate cases right now but the possibility that they may be connected is being looked into," Busching told FoxNews.com."We have a tremendous transient population. We have very few addresses," Busching said. "We have over 90,000 man camp beds permitted in Williams County alone, and countless RV’s, RV parks, sanctioned or not."

We have people living in tents and under bridges," he said. "They come and go."While authorities describe an overwhelming task at hand, the victims' family members, like Jill Willliams, are outraged over what they say is a lack of publicity given to the missing men.

"They cannot keep track of anybody," Williams said of the local police. "It is absolutely like the Wild West. They're ill-equipped to do anything. They’re overwhelmed and overworked."

"It is the perfect hiding place for rapists, pedophiles and serial killers," she said. "This isn’t just about my son. It’s about everyone missing out there."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/1...-men-disappearances-near-north-dakota-bakken/

scary. Sounds like a place it is easy to disappear in. Either by choice or foul play.

The boom happened so fast and big. I have mixed feeling on who to blame for the mess created. The big corps should have been made to think things out. They really need planning heads come together to organize this area. AND I DON"T WANT local Police Agency crying about not enough officers ect.. this City is making a ga-zillion dollars off these guys who work the rigs

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-brings-blight-with-growth-as-costs-soar.html
Prices for gasoline and groceries in Mountrail and Williams counties -- the heart of the boom -- are 30 percent higher than in the state’s largest cities. Lines to eat at local restaurants often top an hour. Finding a plumber or a handyman can take weeks and often cost three times as much as it did three years ago.
In Stanley, about eight miles north of Hynek’s farm, an argument between two men over lunch at Joyce’s Cafe in late August ended when one of them ran outside and punched a wall- sized plate-glass window, shattering it and injuring diners.

The state is also seeing significant wage gains, with the average annual salary growing 79 percent in Williams County, to $56,857 in 2010 when compared to 2005, and 67 percent in Mountrail County over the same period, according to the bureau.
Higher tax receipts fostered by oil-industry revenue are helping finance a new water pipeline, rehabilitation of the state penitentiary and renovation of the state’s heritage center -- even as calls for more housing and funding for school construction go unheeded.
The state’s three-year-old boom, which attracted thousands of workers to 17 western counties, is progressing so quickly that studies commissioned to determine infrastructure needs are outdated the moment they leave the printer.

This is pretty standard for oil and gas boom towns. Where's there's money to be made there is crime; gangs, drugs, prostitution, and even corrupt LE. Price gouging is normal unfortunately though of course market dictates price when it comes to real estate. Another few years and it'll all go bust and then the cycle will repeat as it has since the old west days. I don't know if it'll ever change :(

theres a video on youtube of a man that filmed his whole exsperiences about moving everything he had to this town first 4 years he paid 1000 bucks just to park his van to sleep in and this guy was one of the first like there were no houses even being built yet not saying he knows anything but his video goes from too years before too the day he bought a house like 7 years later he video taped it all got to know everyone in the town i wish i could remember the name of the guy but im sure if you type in that town you will see his video on there its prety wild ...

We live 275 miles south of Williston and there are campers and motels filled here . The motels are filled with drugs and prostitutes here. It is crazy and dangerous. A woman was arrested for pimping her 15 year old daughter. smh

http://www.wday.com/content/after-w...her-drives-western-nd-search-missing-people-0

After a week of 12-hour work days at TrueNorth Steel in Fargo, Lissa Yellowbird-Chase drives six hours to western North Dakota. She usually doesn’t change out of her dirty work clothes, and her hands are gray and black from welding. The appearance helps her fit in, Yellowbird-Chase says.

The 46-year-old Fargo woman and single mom of five makes the 350-plus-mile drive to the Bakken nearly every weekend in the summer and whenever she can in the winter.

She walks miles each day, sometimes as much as 25 miles, tapes up posters, interviews people and requests paperwork from police departments. Yellowbird-Chase searches for missing people who she says would likely “slip through the cracks.”

I did not find the video yet but this is good ..

It's A Scary Place For Women

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBcYIL40cms"]It's A Scary Place For Women - YouTube[/ame]
I saw this and immediately wondered if the dead man was mentioned on the show. I know they spoke about older men and underage girls.

A friend of mine has a ranch a few hundred miles south of the oil fields. Even down there, the crime has spread so badly. They didn't used to have to even lock up. Now they have locks on all the sheds and they have to park their trucks inside the barn to keep them from being stolen or vandalized. And she keeps a loaded shotgun inside each of the doors.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back