NY - Hofstra student killed by police during break-in, Mineola

Reader

Reaction score
http://centurylink.net/news/read.php?ps=931&rip_id=<DA6C7CN80@news.ap.org>&_LT=MNEW_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) — In what police are describing as a crime of opportunity, a wanted man with a criminal history dating nearly 15 years entered a front door that had been left open at a New York home near Hofstra University.

A short time later, the intruder, Dalton Smith, and a 21-year-old college junior, Andrea Rebello, were both dead. The two were killed early Friday by a Nassau County police officer who fired eight shots at the masked man, hitting him seven times but also accidentally hitting Rebello once in the head, Nassau County homicide squad Lt. John Azzata said Saturday.

Smith was holding Rebello in a headlock and pointing a gun at her head before he turned his gun at the officer, Azzata said, prompting the shooting.............

The officer is currently out on sick leave. He will be the focus of an internal police investigation once the criminal investigation is completed, which is standard police procedure in any officer-involved shooting, the commissioner said.

The shooting came just days before the school's commencement ceremonies, which are scheduled for Sunday.

A university spokeswoman said students will be handed white ribbons to wear in memory of Rebello. The shooting, which took place just steps from campus, has cast a pall over the university community as it geared up for commencement.............

More at link......

I thought this case was posted but could not locate through a search.

I feel so sorry for the victim's family and the officer involved.

tragic. Prayers for her family and prayers for the officer. Just awful all the way round.

7 out of 8 shots hitting the suspect is actually very good given some other police shootings. Unfortunately the 8th shot killed the victim.
Tragic story all around.

Officer who shot NY student faced harrowing choice

http://centurylink.net/news/read.ph...org>&news_id=19508089&src=most_popular_viewed

NEW YORK (AP) &#8212; The police officer who accidentally killed a Long Island college student along with an armed intruder faced the most harrowing decision of a law enforcement career: choosing the split-second moment when the risk is so high that you must act to save a life, says an expert in the field.......more...........

Its frightning what one monster can do to so many people. A nice, young woman taken too soon, with a twin sister, and inconsolable mother and father. This officer will live with this forever. God bless them all.

How come they couldn't wait it out like other hostage situations?

How come they couldn't wait it out like other hostage situations?

I don't know, but in Dr. Petit's case, police were sitting outside the house as two criminals inside killed the mother and her two daughters.
So even if he waited that doesn't gurarantee the hostages would have survived.

o/t I just went googling about this case and, can I just say wow! re the social media photos. Holy cow!

::: putting Hofstra on the do not apply list:::

eta: to be clear, I'm referring to social media pics in the msm. Not social media pics directly from social media :::hair on fire:::

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back