GUILTY France - Fiona Chafoulais, 5, Clermont-Ferrand, 12 May 2013 *Arrest*

hollye

Reaction score
Search widened in hunt for missing 5-year-old

fcbcaf07e6431a32f4942c038154d5d62c1b57a76d27f996797d791e6eda3fa0.jpg

Police in the central French city of Clermont-Ferrand have launched an urgent public appeal as they hunt for a missing 5-year-old girl who was last seen in a park on Sunday evening. Her mother dozed off for a moment and when she woke Fiona was gone.
On Monday authorities launched a witness appeal to try and trace the girl, named as Fiona, who disappeared from the Montjuzet park.

Fiona is "light skinned" has blonde hair, stands around 1.10 metres tall and at the time of her disappearance was wearing a black tracksuit which had the white logo "Hello Kitty" written on it.

She was also wearing black trainers and a gold chain around her neck, police say.
The alarm was raised at around 18:45 on Sunday by the girl’s mother, who was in the park with her other child – a two year old. According to the prosecutor the mother nodded off for a moment and lost track of where he daughter was.

"She was pretty tired because six months pregnant. She dozed off briefly and when she woke up, Fiona was not there ", explained Sennes.
http://www.thelocal.fr/20130513/appeal-launched-in-hunt-for-5-year-old-missing-girl#.UZzI00qkKBc

Police believe missing French girl was abducted

Police in the French city of Clermont-Ferrand now believe missing five-year-old girl, Fiona is likely to have been abducted, after an appeal for witnesses and two days of fruitless searches.

Meanwhile, details have emerged about the troubled family life of the little girl, named only as Fiona.

Forensic police scoured the home of Cecille, Fiona’s mother, who was questioned as a witness for six hours on Monday.

Furthermore, Cecille’s biological father, as well as her current boyfriend – both of whom have criminal records – have been questioned as witnesses by police investigators.

For his part, Fiona’s biological father was said to be “living in fear and fearing the worst,” his friend told Europe 1 radio.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130514/kidnapping-inquiry-opened-in-case-of-missing-girl#.UZzKa0qkKBd

No witnesses, mom falls asleep. Maybe cameras nearby? I am really worried about this little girl. It has been 10 days :(

Hmm. Any witnesses to the mom's nap? And the two year old saw nothing?

No witnesses, mom falls asleep. Maybe cameras nearby? I am really worried about this little girl. It has been 10 days :(

I doubt there are cameras, unless there's a bank or big store close by. So Mom falls asleep in a park with a two and five-year old in her care, and doesn't hear or see a thing?

I've been to Clermont Ferrand and can't remember anything about it, apart from the name. I'm going to look for the type of park and area this was in. I can easily imagine in the rural areas a mom feeling relaxed enough to fall asleep, but then the park would have elderly people sitting about chattering and playing boules. I wonder what the weather was like that day?

Mmmmm...Je n' sais pas.

One moment, s'il vous plait. In this article here it says that the biological father has been out searching for his five-year-old daughter, 'to see if his girl is out for a walk'.

I hope that is just an unfortunate translation. She is too young to just go out for a walk alone. For days.

Also, police want to know what happened between 5pm and 9pm that Sunday night, but Fiona was reported missing at quarter to seven. Did she disappear at five then? If so, why did Mom wait so long to make the report? And what does 9pm have to do with it?

Also, quarter to seven.....mom wasn't at home preparing or serving or clearing a meal? Or eating in a restaurant? Okay, the children may have eaten earlier, but the adults too? I think there is a partner at home, perhaps. If he was working, what time would he arrive home?

It's just that it's not traditional for adults and children to eat separately in France, or to miss a meal. Food's important. Or to just grab a pizza takeout (though it is getting that way, I admit).

I cannot believe French police are saying a kidnap alert has not been triggered because it can only be raised where there is 'positive evidence an abduction has taken place' or there is a 'witness'.

A small child is missing. Trigger the alert because she needs to be found guys. Quibble about the technicalities when Fiona's home. The way police are making it sound, the public won't bother looking because it sounds as though they have already decided where Fiona is not, and what did not happen to her.

Zut alors!

A father could hope that a kidnapper would take her for a walk.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130514/kidnapping-inquiry-opened-in-case-of-missing-girl#.UZz9lcpGAWy
Meanwhile, details have emerged about the troubled family life of the little girl, named only as Fiona.

This article puzzles me as it actually says nothing about any details about the troubled family life of the little girl. As far as I can tell the main troubling detail is that she is missing. The only thing that could be relevant to a troubled family life in the article is that some adults have criminal records but then again, depending on what they are for and how long ago it could have little or no effect on her family life recently.

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/dispa...ent-parties-civiles-19-05-2013-1669811_23.php

French link saying it's been a year since the biological father last saw the children and the parents are not in particularly good terms.

Another French link saying they're investigating a former boyfriend of the mother who may have threatened to take the girl to Algeria. She filed charges for kidnapping and rape in May 2012.
http://auvergne.france3.fr/2013/05/18/le-pere-de-fiona-se-constituerait-partie-civle-253791.html

That's true. A parent could hope for any reason or outcome, accept the worst one. Nobody could blame them.

Looking at the park, it's small, perfectly cultivated and in a nice area. There are lots of individual suburban houses surrounding it. The 'bad' areas tend to be those on the outskirts of towns crammed with large tower blocks. Fiona cannot possibly be lost in that park. However, to the left, just out of town, there's miles and miles of woods and nature.

It doesn't look like there will have been any cameras in the park or the nearby streets. If the weather was fine that day though, I am surprised there hasn't been a single witness coming forward to seeing the family in the park, at least.

Sorry, police have already said they are now concentrating their attention outside the park. I'm still very confused though. They've also said the park would have been very busy at that time of the evening, mom searched for 45 minutes before calling police and lots of people would have helped her search and they want them to come forward.

So mom has said people helped her search for nearly a whole hour, yet not a single one stayed until police arrived. Or has come forward since?

This all sounds very odd to me, and I'm not sure if it's the police statements that are all over the place, or what mom told the police, to be honest. Perhaps someone with fluent french could read the articles and see what they make of them?

Here is where Fiona went missing...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...=0&ll=45.789253,3.072202&spn=0.009007,0.01929

It appears to be a rather large park and is on a large hill. If you attempt to go to street view, several photos will pop up and you can see just how hilly it is with several walking paths running through it. IMO, there are many places this little girl could have walked, out of sight, where someone could have easily snatched her up. I am not sure where the playgrounds are, if there are any, but I would think that would be where Fiona and her mother and sibling were.

I wonder how close to the park they live...

Oh, I didn't think Donjeta - you probably have fluent french because you're posting the articles and telling me what they say! Sorry!

No prob. I had three years worth of French lessons at school and I wouldn't say I'm fluent but I can generally get the gist of written French. No guarantees given, though.

The tip line has had nearly 200 calls made.
Also, there are about 60 sex offenders who have had minor victims in Clermont-Ferrand, and about twenty of them live near this park.

http://www.lamontagne.fr/auvergne/a...ion-de-fiona-ou-en-est-l-enquete-1558997.html

'the mother's lawyer' has caught my attention. Hope that just means the family lawyer stepping in to be a spokesperson, and not that mom has hired one especially.

I expect she may already have had an attorney because of the previous court case regarding the guy in Algeria.

Here is where Fiona went missing...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...=0&ll=45.789253,3.072202&spn=0.009007,0.01929

It appears to be a rather large park and is on a large hill. If you attempt to go to street view, several photos will pop up and you can see just how hilly it is with several walking paths running through it. IMO, there are many places this little girl could have walked, out of sight, where someone could have easily snatched her up. I am not sure where the playgrounds are, if there are any, but I would think that would be where Fiona and her mother and sibling were.

I wonder how close to the park they live...

Yes, I can see how an abductor could have taken her - it looks like the children's play area is surrounded by little bushes too. I can't see how they would have got her from the park to a car, or walked her through the streets, without anyone noticing though. Unless Fiona went willingly, with a promise of ice cream or something. Still, with Mom running around looking for her later, I'm surprised there isn't one credible witness yet.

I would quite like to know the last person to have seen Fiona, other than mom.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back