GUILTY Australia - Joan Ryther, 27, pregnant, raped & murdered, Logan, Qld, 21 May 2013

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
May 22, 2013

JOAN Canino Ryther was just metres from work when she was attacked, killed and dumped in the front garden of a Logan Central home.

602563-joan-canino-ryther-the-logan-woman-amp-039-s-body-was-found-just-100m-from-mcdonald-amp-039-s.gif

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...in-logan-central/story-fn8ygho7-1226648122605

May 23, 2013

LOGAN murder victim Joan Ryther is believed to have been bashed and sexually assaulted, and police have confirmed she was pregnant.

Ms Ryther came to Australia from the Philippines around 2009, met her husband in 2011 and they married last year.

Her husband's car was seized and their home searched as "normal procedure". He was due to talk to police again today.

"Any investigation of this type we would look at their premises, we would look at their car," Insp Hutchinson said.

He added: "He has co-operated with us and at this stage he's not listed as a suspect."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ce-investigation/story-e6freoof-1226648723921

Apologies, I can't find the Australian subforum except under missing and she is not.

This article has many details http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ce-investigation/story-fnii5v6u-1226648723921

LOGAN murder victim Joan Ryther is believed to have been bashed and sexually assaulted, and police have confirmed she was pregnant.

• Joan was walking to work at McDonalds, her shift started at 9pm, it was approximately a 1km/15min walk.
  • Co-workers raised the alarm when she failed to arrive.
  • Husband was at work until 9:30pm and joined search once alerted.
  • He is co-operating with police and their car and home being searched is routine, he is not a suspect.
  • A man dressed in yellow was crying outside a neighbour's home, asking to be let in around the time Joan was assaulted.
  • There were people home at the address she was found, who state they were watching tv from approximately 8:30pm to midnight, and heard nothing.
  • Witnesses who may have seen the man in yellow, two men drinking nearby, or who may have moved Joan's hat to the fence are asked to come forward

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ce-investigation/story-e6frg6n6-1226648723921

Yesterday, distraught neighbours told of strange noises and a bizarre disturbance.

Two men were seen drinking in a nearby park between 4.30pm and 6.30pm, and one neighbour told of seeing someone running near the same park about 8.30pm. They also heard a woman shouting in what they thought was Chinese.

One woman and her young son, who live 200m from Ms Ryther, were interviewed by police for several hours after a crying man came to their front door asking to be let in.

"It was about 9pm, we were all in bed," she said.

"My son said there was someone at the door. I heard some noise, it could have been crying - it was weird.

"I peeked out and saw a man sitting on the chair."

The woman, who did not want to be named, gathered her children into her bedroom and called a friend for help.

"I wasn't sure if he was drunk but I didn't want to aggravate him, so I didn't yell out to him," she said.

"He was there for about 20 minutes. He was gone by the time my friend arrived."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...in-logan-central/story-fnii5v70-1226648122605

A man who lives in the same street has described finding the body of the Logan victim while on his way to the shops this morning to get food for school lunches.

"I was waiting for this dog to come out that usually runs out and scares everyone, this dog that jumps on the fence as we walk past," Robert Mills, 40, told The Courier-Mail.

"There was no dog. I kept walking and I see this body...so I went closer to the fence, leaned over the fence, looked over the fence, 'oh f..., I don't know if that's real or not.

"So I said, 'I've got to get my stuff for the kids ready for school', so I went to the shop, got bread and milk and fruit.

"On my way back the garage, the fence, was open to drive your car in. I said oh f... this doesn't feel right, it still don't look right from this angle.

"So then I walked in within a metre, two metres of the body, and I just started screaming and I didn't know what to do. I rang the police."

Thanks for posting this ozazure :)

Breaks my heart - it seems like the husband is totally in the clear. From the start it did seem that this was either a random crime, or someone (other than her husband) who knew she walked that way to work.

I hope Macdonald's get behind her husband and family and help in any way they can.

It's bizaare that the lady that heard the man crying/knocking on her door that night didn't call the police, only a friend. If I had a strange person hanging around my door at night (or for that matter, during the day), I would be on the phone to the police quick smart. Just think, if this person is involved, he could have been caught straight away.

Thanks for posting this ozazure :)

Breaks my heart - it seems like the husband is totally in the clear. From the start it did seem that this was either a random crime, or someone (other than her husband) who knew she walked that way to work.

I hope Macdonald's get behind her husband and family and help in any way they can.

It's bizaare that the lady that heard the man crying/knocking on her door that night didn't call the police, only a friend. If I had a strange person hanging around my door at night (or for that matter, during the day), I would be on the phone to the police quick smart. Just think, if this person is involved, he could have been caught straight away.

Yeah I would call police myself, but a lot of people don't in iffy situations, don't want to make a fuss or upset someone who knows where they live. I think it is something we need to work on as a culture, to be a bit braver and not scared of being embarrassed calling for what turns out to be no reason.

I am glad she has come forward straight away, hopefully whatever information she has will be useful and they had the info quickly.

Thanks Marlywings - I did search before I created it, but I must have been too slow in getting it done and missed yours.

This is just so heartbreaking. Words fail me! It does remind me very much of Shandee Blackburn's murder. Could there be a connection?

This is just so heartbreaking. Words fail me! It does remind me very much of Shandee Blackburn's murder. Could there be a connection?

Hard to know at this stage if there's any connection. Shandee's murder was in Mackay....north Qld. Logan Central is at the centre of Logan City which is south of Brisbane, between Bris & Gold Coast.

From what I've read of the Logan Centrsl area it's very multicultural, the crime rate is very high.

I can't find the date on the following but I'm sure I read it on Courier Mail within the last few months or so.

Figures released today show murders in Logan over the past 12 months are nearly five times greater than the numbers committed on the Gold Coast and nine times greater than those in Ipswich.

Nine people have been murdered in Logan since April last year, compared to two on the Gold Coast and one in Ipswich

http://river949.com.au/index.php/fe...r-rates-now-five-times-that-of-the-gold-coast

Hard to know at this stage if there's any connection. Shandee's murder was in Mackay....north Qld. Logan Central is at the centre of Logan City which is south of Brisbane, between Bris & Gold Coast.

From what I've read of the Logan Centrsl area it's very multicultural, the crime rate is very high.

I can't find the date on the following but I'm sure I read it on Courier Mail within the last few months or so.

Figures released today show murders in Logan over the past 12 months are nearly five times greater than the numbers committed on the Gold Coast and nine times greater than those in Ipswich.

Nine people have been murdered in Logan since April last year, compared to two on the Gold Coast and one in Ipswich

http://river949.com.au/index.php/fe...r-rates-now-five-times-that-of-the-gold-coast
Elijah Rainbow Fisher was one of them:
Baby Elijah Rainbow drowns at bridge - Dad charged - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

what a beautiful young woman gone to waste :(

logan area is full of bogans and drug addict scums.. wouldnt suprise me if it was one of them.

this case is pretty much exacly like the jill meagher murder in brunswick/melbourne last year.... the law is too lenient, we need harsher penalties. for crimes like this.. life without parole + castration. also the family should be able to serve some of their own justice... now that is a deterrent that WILL work.

I thought the same thing and posted in Shandee's thread this afternoon.... a few similarities?!

About this odd ''sobbing man'' observed at a nearby property, it sounds to me like this person was either:

A. with the perp/perps at the time and took off, not wanting to be a party to the crime, or was pressured and intimidated into to being a ''look out''.

B. a stranger who chanced upon the perp/perps in the act, and fearing for their own safety (or with the intention to alert authorities) ran to a nearby house, and when not permitted entry waited until the attacker/s had gone before taking off.

If it was B then you'd think this person would have reported the crime or come forward to help police identify the attacker/s. Unless they were scared they might become a suspect in the crime.

If it was A then it may be a case where loyalty to or fear of reprisal from the perpetrator/s for snitching have kept this person from coming forward so far.

To me, if it turns out this wasn't something unrelated and purely coincidental, it seems like the sobbing man knew the attacker/attackers, was aware of what was happening or had already taken place, was shaken up as a result and conflicted due to his association with the perpetrator/s. I hope this person has the guts and intelligence to do the right thing and come forward and let the police know the identity of his psychopathic mate/mates, before police track him down and charge him as an accessory.

HAL, those were my first thoughts, that he may have been with the perpetrator and not wanted to participate. But then - why give up so easily when denied entrance to one house? If they didn't want to dob their friend in, they likely didn't need protection or shelter from them in the house. Why go there then? If he went there to summons help, he gave up on that very quickly. Maybe he changed his mind about getting help for her.

Here's another article : http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...s-police-search-for-clues-20130523-2k46o.html

Her hubby took the car to McDonalds on his way home for her to drive home. Breaks my heart. She was pregnant and working night shift, he was working into the night, I am sure they would both rather be holed up together home in the evening but they are doing what it takes and she should have been safe.

Yellow isn't a colour many men would wear... so I am thinking -somebody- knows who this guy in yellow is, if anyone was at his home or saw him in his street that night. Hopefuly the police get hold of him soon!

I'm devastated to hear of any crime like this, but additionally so that it happens in Aus, and with increasing frequency it seems.

I hope they check out the guy who found her body for an alibi. His statement seems a little bit strange to me, with some peculiar details... But maybe he was just in shock - it's not like the average person here finds a body on their way to the shops.

I am betting people were minding their own business and not bothering to call police because it's that kind of area. Lived in one of those myself, once, a bomb could have gone off and no-one would call the cops, because they didn't want police anywhere near their own homes.. I'm thinking of the woman with the crying man -- I'd have been on 000 quick smart, too. It seemed odd she didn't call the police until I thought about it that way...

Poor Joan. I'm so sad for her husband, too, losing his beautiful wife and child in one fell swoop. :(

ETA: the hat on the fence thing is something my nanna and mother always did. If they found a hat or scarf on the street, they'd hang it on the nearest fence so it didn't get ruined and the owner could find it more easily. Maybe someone was just doing a little act of kindness like that. :(

Strange that a car was stolen opposite her house at almost the time she was killed.Has it been found?
Is it possible she wasn't actually killed where she was found?
Odd that no one heard a sound at that time of night.

The sobbing man could also be the perpetrator. He may have 'lost control', and sought refuge after the fact. The tears may have been shock about what he had just done.

I truly hope they find who did this quickly, so her husband can start the healing process. I can't imagine what he is going through right now. I don't think it will be long before the police either find the offender, or someone dobs him in.

I wonder if the stolen car near her home is related? Though given the crime rate in the area, it could be just a coincidence. I haven't looked at the times in detail, but maybe Joan witnessed something that night? But it would take a lot of rage to escalate from attacking someone to keep them quiet to sexually assaulting and killing them.

Thoughts with her husband and family today :(

My gut feeling says the stolen car is connected.
She may have been forced into the car, killed and her body dragged across the road and dumped where she was found.
I see the sobbing man was near her home, not where she was found.
Could he have seen her being forced into a car?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back