1054 users online (229 members and 825 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 132
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161

    KY - Officer Jason Ellis, 33, Bardstown, 25 May 2013

    BARDSTOWN, Ky —The fatal roadside shooting of a Kentucky police officer was premeditated and authorities are asking for the public's help in finding suspects, a police spokesman said Sunday.


    Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/...#ixzz2UXjhqq1m

    LE would like the public's help.

    Just a note of interest, we also have a missing Jason Ellis, age 20, from Indianapolis. He has been missing since Dec. 2006. Probably not related - just interesting.

    Salem

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    3,645

    Kentucky police officer ambushed

    (CNN) -- Grief over a Kentucky officer's death is giving way to rage and anxiety as police believe someone set up a trap just to kill their colleague or another driver.
    <snip>
    "It was an obvious ambush," Chaffins said. "He never used his service weapon. It was holstered."

    more at the link: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/27/justic...html?hpt=hp_t3
    Last edited by Shadow205; 05-27-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Retired 08/03/03

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    25
    Thanks so much for posting this, Salem!

    I've been stewing over this horrible case for a couple of days. I think two of the most important aspects of this are the fact that 1.)it was clearly an ambush, and 2.)this was originally called in as a car crash (and although the above article doesn't state this, other articles I've read have stated that it was called in as a fatal car crash).

    This brings up several questions for me. Was Officer Ellis the target? Or was LE a target in general? It seems unlikely to me that whoever did this intended to target any random passing motorist, as I feel most people would be unlikely to stop and remove the debris from the road. It seems more likely that a member of LE would stop to remove the debris and I think the perpetrator knew this. Also, if Officer Ellis was not the intended target, is there a risk of this happening again?

    I also wish we had more information about the phone call. It seems odd to me that it would be called in as a car crash. Shouldn't it have been apparent that there was no damage to his cruiser? I suppose in the dark, and the panic of finding an officer down, things could have been confusing, I just wish LE was saying more about the call/if they ruled out those who made it of involvement.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    Just happened to find this....

    Live: Slain Ky. officer's wife speaks

    http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/...z/-/index.html

    Looks like it's starting soon...it's 10:34ET now....somebody came out and said she didn't want to stand and they are moving the podium....

    ......That was hard to watch....she was basically thanking everyone for support and answering questions about her husband...
    Last edited by Reader; 05-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie2 View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this, Salem!

    I've been stewing over this horrible case for a couple of days. I think two of the most important aspects of this are the fact that 1.)it was clearly an ambush, and 2.)this was originally called in as a car crash (and although the above article doesn't state this, other articles I've read have stated that it was called in as a fatal car crash).

    This brings up several questions for me. Was Officer Ellis the target? Or was LE a target in general? It seems unlikely to me that whoever did this intended to target any random passing motorist, as I feel most people would be unlikely to stop and remove the debris from the road. It seems more likely that a member of LE would stop to remove the debris and I think the perpetrator knew this. Also, if Officer Ellis was not the intended target, is there a risk of this happening again?

    I also wish we had more information about the phone call. It seems odd to me that it would be called in as a car crash. Shouldn't it have been apparent that there was no damage to his cruiser? I suppose in the dark, and the panic of finding an officer down, things could have been confusing, I just wish LE was saying more about the call/if they ruled out those who made it of involvement.
    My thoughts exactly. It seems like they are really skirting around the fact that this "originally came in as a traffic accident." Its like they just glossed over it on purpose. That usually means they have SOMETHING regarding that fact that they are keeping mum about. It HAS to be the key to this.

    I would tend to think if this was absolutely personal to him himself (rather than an attack on LE in general) and the killer knew him and planned it out, it seems awful risky to do this while he's on duty and absolutely armed without knowing if he's wearing a vest...Idk I think i'd rather wait until he'd be a little more off guard. But killers are morons anyway!
    Last edited by hipmomx2; 05-28-2013 at 03:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    293
    This is really upsetting. Bardstown isn't a huge town and the town that Ofc. Ellis lives in is even smaller. I use this same exit frequently and it made my stomach drop when I drove onto it yesterday. I find it very odd that he didnt have his K9 with him and that be was driving a pool car rather than his regular cruiser. I also want to know why the cruiser he was in wasnt equipped with surveillance equipment on the dash. A lot of people are saying it sounds like an inside job, but it could also just as easily be random. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369776646.519855.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    293
    This is the first article I've seen where Chief McCubbins states that Ofc. Ellis was the intended target of the ambush. http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...Ellis-targeted

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by jULIA_bEE View Post
    This is the first article I've seen where Chief McCubbins states that Ofc. Ellis was the intended target of the ambush. http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...Ellis-targeted
    This is why I am leaning more toward it being a personal attack against him. Based on this article/what the Chief said during the press conference today makes it seem like they are pretty confident that this was directed specifically at Officer Ellis and not any other LE Officer or the general public.

    So the question now is, was this something related to his personal life, or someone he previously arrested/a family member of someone he arrested?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by hipmomx2 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It seems like they are really skirting around the fact that this "originally came in as a traffic accident." Its like they just glossed over it on purpose. That usually means they have SOMETHING regarding that fact that they are keeping mum about. It HAS to be the key to this.

    I would tend to think if this was absolutely personal to him himself (rather than an attack on LE in general) and the killer knew him and planned it out, it seems awful risky to do this while he's on duty and absolutely armed without knowing if he's wearing a vest...Idk I think i'd rather wait until he'd be a little more off guard. But killers are morons anyway!
    I'm thinking more and more that this was personal to Officer Ellis as well. That means however, that whoever did this is either familiar with his schedule and routine, or spent a lot of time recently to figure it out.

    I actually agree that killers are morons, but I'm sad to say I think this killer picked the perfect opportunity. Late at night, Officer Ellis is at the end of his shift, probably tired and wanting to get home, he probably wasn't his most vigilant. Plus at that hour the perpetrator knew he could get settled on the hill and just wait without being spotted. Honestly though, the way this was set up, I don't think Officer Ellis ever had a chance, even if he'd had a chance to get his revolver out of the holster, and that is one of the many reasons this case is really bothering me.
    Last edited by Maggie2; 05-28-2013 at 07:34 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    293
    I'd read somewhere that he was due in court this wk to appear as an arresting officer..but I'm not positive what the case was related to. I'd also heard some people talking about a local group of idiots that refer to themselves as BMG (bardstown money gang,) who could've had some type of involvement. Personally, they're a bunch of hs drop outs who rob old people for drug money...and I don't think they're savvy enough to pull something like that off.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie2 View Post
    I'm thinking more and more that this was personal to Officer Ellis as well. That means however, that whoever did this is either familiar with his schedule and routine, or spent a lot of time recently to figure it out.

    I actually agree that killers are morons, but I'm sad to say I think this killer picked the perfect opportunity. Late at night, Officer Ellis is at the end of his shift, probably tired and wanting to get home, he probably wasn't his most vigilant. Plus at that hour the perpetrator knew he could get settled on the hill and just wait without being spotted. Honestly though, the way this was set up, I don't think Officer Ellis ever had a chance, even if he'd had a chance to get his revolver out of the holster, and that is one of the many reasons this case is really bothering me.
    Yes you could be right there! I'd have to agree.

  12. #12

    Route home?

    Why was Ellis taking this exit on his way home? Wouldn't he take 62?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    293
    You're right. He was at a disadvantage from the beginning, regardless of whether or not he had the chance of drawing the weapon. What bothers me is the location bc that late at night, that particular ramp wouldn't be busy. On top of that, when you first get on the ramp, it curved and gets more narrow surrounded by rock walls, so unless you're coming onto the ramp, you wouldn't be able to see his car from the highway. It's almost terrifying really. On top of that, the shooter was standing on the wall, shooting down. He/she could've been parked on the highway or even the bridge at the top of the ramp that leads to more less traveled back roads through Bloomfield. There's honestly no telling where he was. I took some pics the other day...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369793293.353876.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369793307.971612.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369793317.037413.jpg

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfortheverdict View Post
    Why was Ellis taking this exit on his way home? Wouldn't he take 62?
    I read that this was his usual route home after work. However, I'm not sure where he lived. I thought I'd read that he attended Bloomfield Baptist church so I assumed he lived in Bloomfield. However, he's being buried in Chaplin, which is northern Nelson Co, close to Taylorsville Lake, which would also make sense that he'd use that exit.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfortheverdict View Post
    Why was Ellis taking this exit on his way home? Wouldn't he take 62?
    I just did a quick search of him and it looks like he did live in Bloomfield not far from the Bluegrass Pkwy. Personally, coming from Bardstown to where I live in Taylorsville, I'd rather take the highway too because the back roads are bad at night. They're curvy and not as fast.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. IN IN - Jason Ellis, 20, Indianapolis, 3 Dec 2006
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-14-2017, 09:42 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Tags for this Thread