If you can stand foul language and violence you need to get "Django Unchained"

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
I went to a friends house awhile ago and watched "Django Unchained". I love Quentin Tarantino. (Pulp Fiction is another one of my favorite movies.) Django Unchained is very well done in showing the pre-Civil War south. The sets are amazing and the story is amazing. Christopher Walz won the Academy Award for his performance. He's awesome. This movie has one of the best opening scenes in any movie I've seen. Also, Quentin Tarantino won the Academy Award for the best original screenplay.

Don Johnson has a part in it and I didn't even recognize him. He's amazing. Tarantino always seems to bring out the best in his actors. I can't believe Jamie Foxx wasn't nominated for an Academy Award. Samuel L. Jackson is amazing, as he always is.

The movie has been criticized for the overuse of the N word, but my friend and I, who are white, couldn't find any unwarranted use of the word. It's just the way they talked in that era. Anyway, the really racist guys get their just due.

It's a great action adventure, and romance movie.

Has anyone else seen this?

haven't seen it yet and I've wanted to

Quentin Tarantino is the best

haven't seen it yet and I've wanted to

Quentin Tarantino is the best

As I said above the opening scene is amazing. One of the best I've seen. Even outranking a lot of James Bond openings. I'm a huge Bond fan, so that's saying something.

Christopher Walz plays Dr. King Schulz. He also played Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Bastereds. I've seen IB and I didn't recognize him as the same actor.

BTW, I just finished watching it again and it's a really inspirational movie.

love QT. Django is the only thing of his I haven't seen yet and I plan to rent it some evening when we have an away sitter for the kids ;)

love QT. Django is the only thing of his I haven't seen yet and I plan to rent it some evening when we have an away sitter for the kids ;)

Just buy it. It was $19.99 at Target and after you deduct the price of renting, it just makes more sense to own it, IMO.

BTW, if you're going to post a spoiler please put SPOILER in the title of your post. Thanks

Just saw Leo in Gatsby on Friday. Lurved it. Other than the odd diversion for Nick the narrator, very faithful to the novella.

Sorry for the hijack, Steely. I didn't (couldn't) watch Django, but the Leo thing prompted me to mention Gatsby.

Does Django have English subtitles? Bad words aren't so jarring if you see them, and not hear them.

I use subtitles anyway, cause I can't hear very well. Comes in handy sometimes.

Does Django have English subtitles? Bad words aren't so jarring if you see them, and not hear them.

I use subtitles anyway, cause I can't hear very well. Comes in handy sometimes.

The box says English subtitles.

I can't sleep so I'm watching it again. I forgot to mention that there is a scene in the movie that could have come straight out of a Mel Brooks movie. Mel Brooks has said, IIRC, that he makes fun of Nazi's in his movies because the best way to get revenge is to make them look stupid and humiliate them. Quentin Tarantino borrowed that line of thinking with some racists for this movie that's pretty funny.

I saw it Steely. :seeya: Kept DH company while he watched it b/c he really really wanted to see it.

Of course, I expected to be shocked once again by Tarantino. Closed my eyes a few times. :scared:

What a ride! :rollercoaster:

IMO, Tarantino's learning to tell stories with a greater observational purpose & commentary ... and with violence that's less gratuitous because it's not so unbelieveable - given the story.

Don't forget Scandal's Kerry Washington, Jonah Hill (lololol) & as has been eluded, Leo. Leo played a creeper, eh?

My favorite part of this movie was all the de-ja-vus it offers. I can count at least 10 old movie references taken right from the movies of my heydays. LOL @ the gigantic MISSISSIPPI reference to GONE WITH THE WIND in the beginning. As a teenage Clint fan, ... caught many of those spaghetti western references...bounty hunter escapades...impossible gunfights...buddy movies. Also, direct script and/or cinematographic references from Indiana Jones, The Lone Ranger, Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles, as you've mentioned, Shaft, The Princess Bride, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, and the Sting. And when Django says his name is "Django, with a D" - the character who says "I know" is played by the director in-real-life of the oldie movie Django.

Watching it twice - you'll catch more inside jokes. :drumroll: ba-da-bing!

Christoph Walz's character had that WTF moment that sticks with you, makes you think - and surely - will become iconic. Loved that he was still a German but of a different ilk than in Inglorious Bastards. (Tarantino's apology to Germans for his last effort?) Seeing the antebellum South through a foreigner's eyes - very clever. Loved the story line for Broomhilde von Shaft's German background as well. Nice realistic historical nod to early German immigrants there too...

And Sam Jackson's role was another unexpected & thought provoking character study.

Overall, the movie was equally entertaining and harrowing - and one of those that has you thinkin' for more than few minutes once it's over.

On the other hand, if you are too young to catch the old movie references, or if you just want a pure roller coaster ride - no thinking is necessarily required to enjoy it.

:moo: & I agree w/ Steely - recommended. :D

Bonus recommendation: Be sure to watch the credits and the little "bonus" after the credits roll.

I saw it Steely. :seeya: Kept DH company while he watched it b/c he really really wanted to see it.

Of course, I expected to be shocked once again by Tarantino. Closed my eyes a few times. :scared:

What a ride! :rollercoaster:

IMO, Tarantino's learning to tell stories with a greater observational purpose & commentary ... and with violence that's less gratuitous because it's not so unbelieveable - given the story.

Don't forget Scandal's Kerry Washington, Jonah Hill (lololol) & as has been eluded, Leo. Leo played a creeper, eh?

My favorite part of this movie was all the de-ja-vus it offers. I can count at least 10 old movie references taken right from the movies of my heydays. LOL @ the gigantic MISSISSIPPI reference to GONE WITH THE WIND in the beginning. As a teenage Clint fan, ... caught many of those spaghetti western references...bounty hunter escapades...impossible gunfights...buddy movies. Also, direct script and/or cinematographic references from Indiana Jones, The Lone Ranger, Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles, as you've mentioned, Shaft, The Princess Bride, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, and the Sting. And when Django says his name is "Django, with a D" - the character who says "I know" is played by the director in-real-life of the oldie movie Django.

Watching it twice - you'll catch more inside jokes. :drumroll: ba-da-bing!

Christoph Walz's character had that WTF moment that sticks with you, makes you think - and surely - will become iconic. Loved that he was still a German but of a different ilk than in Inglorious Bastards. (Tarantino's apology to Germans for his last effort?) Seeing the antebellum South through a foreigner's eyes - very clever. Loved the story line for Broomhilde von Shaft's German background as well. Nice realistic historical nod to early German immigrants there too...

And Sam Jackson's role was another unexpected & thought provoking character study.

Overall, the movie was equally entertaining and harrowing - and one of those that has you thinkin' for more than few minutes once it's over.

On the other hand, if you are too young to catch the old movie references, or if you just want a pure roller coaster ride - no thinking is necessarily required to enjoy it.

:moo: & I agree w/ Steely - recommended. :D

Bonus recommendation: Be sure to watch the credits and the little "bonus" after the credits roll.

My only quibble with your post is that little bit at the end should have ended in "Man" instead. JMO

Spike Lee had his panties in a bunch over the movie before it even came out. He said he'd never watch it. That's a shame, because it really raises the level of conversation about slavery in America and what it REALLY was like. Like the woman in the video below says. He didn't sugar coat it. All of the stuff in the movie that's done to slaves was ACTUALLY done to slaves.

Spoilers in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ig1Ya8JUXw

The American slavery era is glossed over a lot by our society. Quentin Tarantino has thrown it our faces. People really need to know the intricacies of the slave trade. How slaves were treated as property and treated worse than animals. Slavery was a psychopath's dream world. People involved with slavery could get away with doing things to people then that would give them the death penalty today. It's a subject that a lot of people are afraid to take on. I've gotta give Tarantino props for making a realistic movie. If it raises the level of consciousness about our history then all the better. JMO

My only quibble with your post is that little bit at the end should have ended in "Man" instead. JMO

Spike Lee had his panties in a bunch over the movie before it even came out. He said he'd never watch it. That's a shame, because it really raises the level of conversation about slavery in America and what it REALLY was like. Like the woman in the video below says. He didn't sugar coat it. All of the stuff in the movie that's done to slaves was ACTUALLY done to slaves.

Spoilers in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ig1Ya8JUXw

The American slavery era is glossed over a lot by our society. Quentin Tarantino has thrown it our faces. People really need to know the intricacies of the slave trade. How slaves were treated as property and treated worse than animals. Slavery was a psychopath's dream world. People involved with slavery could get away with doing things to people then that would give them the death penalty today. It's a subject that a lot of people are afraid to take on. I've gotta give Tarantino props for making a realistic movie. If it raises the level of consciousness about our history then all the better. JMO

Oh my, she gets deep around 4:35. Mandingo. Interesting parallel she draws.
Hey - there's an emu on that youtube site. :D Who was that man? I mean Emu?

Just watched it again. While I watched it I perused IMDB about it. Evidently Cuba Gooding Jr. really, really wanted the part, but Tarantino wouldn't consider him.

I have never been a fan of westerns, but do like Tarantino.
I didn't know what to expect, but from the beginning I was hooked. An awesome film with great performances all round, though for me Christopher Walz stole the show.

I had no clue that was Samuel L Jackson when watching it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back