Mammoths could be cloned after the discovery of Mammoth blood.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/world/asia/siberia-mammoth-blood-discovery/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Will mammoths be brought back to life? Liquid blood find fuels cloning hopes
By Nick Thompson, CNN
updated 6:03 AM EDT, Fri May 31, 2013

...Researchers from the Northeast Federal University in Yakutsk found the 10,000-year-old female mammoth buried in ice on the Lyakhovsky Islands off the coast of northeast Russia.

Scientists say they poked the frozen creature with a pick and dark liquid blood flowed out.

"The fragments of muscle tissues, which we've found out of the body, have a natural red color of fresh meat. The reason for such preservation is that the lower part of the body was underlying in pure ice," said Semyon Grigoriev, the head of the expedition and of the university's Mammoth Museum, in a statement on the university's website....

original-herd.jpg

I'm ready for the mammoth's return!

Reading this, and remembering all those stories of explorers feeding thier sled dogs on 10,000 year old frozen mammoth meat, apparently still fresh.. I've always wondered how it came about that creatures as large as a mammoth could be 'snap frozen' to the point where they still have dandelions in thier mouths and guts, as if caught mid-mouthful..

It's just incredible to think about. The implications are huge. What if the 'ice age' began with a sudden, single moment of SNAP. Lol.

Anyway. I want a mammoth. I want one, now.

I want to see the mammoths return. This would be beyond awesome.

You didn't know that Birdseye is a 20,000 year old company. :waitasec:

I remember seeing the 1955 episode of the Science Fiction Theater TV series entitled Dead Storage. It was about a baby mammoth that was found frozen and revived by modern scientists. In the end, it came to a sad conclusion.:(

LOL, Dan. "Scientists have discovered a 10,000 YO bag of mint peas".

Poor fictional baby mammoth, Stan. :( A baby mammoth would be beyond adorable. Baby elephants are cute enough - imagine if they were also FURRY. D'awwwhhh.

I'm now about to dive down the rabbit-hole of sudden ice age theories.. it's really pretty interesting stuff. A bit scary, too - imagine a sudden SNAP and everything's encased in forty feet of solid ice. But HOW? /rabbit hole

:scared: Holy moly didn't you people see Jurassic Park?! :scared:

;)

Kidding...it is interesting, but not I'm super sure it's something that should be done. Pretty neat that they could do it if they wanted to, but I think it would take a lot to convince me it's a good idea.

I remember seeing the 1955 episode of the Science Fiction Theater TV series entitled Dead Storage. It was about a baby mammoth that was found frozen and revived by modern scientists. In the end, it came to a sad conclusion.:(

Did they mention how it tasted?

One problem with cloning is that the cells used are the same age as the animal they came from. So if this Mammoth was 15 years old, then it would be born small like a baby, but it's mind and body would feel 15 years old. They have to get stem cells with zero miles on them and then figure out how to put the DNA into the cells so they are like new cells.

Posted while on Ambien.

The episode was shot on color film but I don't know if it's available on DVD/Bluray.

Reading this, and remembering all those stories of explorers feeding thier sled dogs on 10,000 year old frozen mammoth meat, apparently still fresh.. I've always wondered how it came about that creatures as large as a mammoth could be 'snap frozen' to the point where they still have dandelions in thier mouths and guts, as if caught mid-mouthful..

It's just incredible to think about. The implications are huge. What if the 'ice age' began with a sudden, single moment of SNAP. Lol.

Anyway. I want a mammoth. I want one, now.

I want to see the mammoths return. This would be beyond awesome.

Do you think you could fit one in your backyard?

You know.. I actually could... but it wouldn't have much room to move.

I'd have to opt for agistment and stabling, I fear. ;) Dread to think of how much the groomers will cost..

Mammoths really weren't -that- much bigger than an adult elephant. A bit taller at the shoulder, I think, but not ten times the size or anything.

I wonder, Dan, if they could use elephant stem cells...? Are the species too divergent for that, maybe?

Lots of reading to do! Thanks, Dan. You always raise the most interesting methods of distracting oneself from the house chores ("No, I cannot possibly wash your shirts right now - I'm discovering whether elephant embryo cells might just be the key to reviving the mammoth!")

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back