1060 users online (211 members and 849 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Robert Garrow (pre-July 1974) - were there other victims?

I couldn't find a thread for Robert Garrow. Based on what is officially known he is likely better classified as a 'spree killer' than a 'serial killer', but I am questioning that.

At the time (July 1973), the largest manhunt in NY state history was focused on capturing Robert Garrow. He was known to have killed 4 people and raped 7 others....some children (all by his own confession).

That's what is in the history books. But is there more?

I came across this news story, which only now brings to the forefront the fact that a map was found in Garrow's car, a map with many red dots, including dots that relate to his known victims. But what did the other dots relate to? Are there other unsolved murders that could be attributed to Garrow?

For instance, check out this fairly recent news item:

Tiny red dot on a map could be key to solving Hamilton cold case
    http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...komoroski.html

Detectives say Robert Garrow now 'best suspect' in 1973 Komorowski murder

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...er-garrow.html

If it's possible that Garrow murdered a young woman in Hamilton, Ontario, who else might he have killed?

Unfortunately the map is 'lost', but are there unsolved crimes in Vermont, Pennsylvania, Ohio, or Massachusetts that might be his work?

I thought it warranted a thread. Can any of you WSers help out here?
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    Therefore, send not to know, for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

Posted about this poi in Toronto Cold Case file, glad to find this thread here!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...7#post10783337

The podcast Radiolab just covered this case. It doesn't go into the crimes that much, but the problems that garrow's attorneys were presented with and it is quite interesting. By the way, these Radiolab podcasts are very good.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/the_buried_bodies_case/
    "A civilized society should not accept that children simply disappear."
    John Mallon as quoted in Unearthing a Serial Killer

When you have eliminated the impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    - S. Holmes

It is quite a three pipe problem
    - S. Holmes

Oh, and a guy by the name of Jim Tracy is working on a book about this case. The working title is Twisted Truth. It is mentioned in the podcast. Another book has already been published Terror in the Adirondacks, but it is very pricey.
    "A civilized society should not accept that children simply disappear."
    John Mallon as quoted in Unearthing a Serial Killer

When you have eliminated the impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    - S. Holmes

It is quite a three pipe problem
    - S. Holmes

IF Robert Garrow murdered Adele Komorowski and IF the dots on the map represent his victims, we need to figure out who else he may have killed. Are there other unsolved murders in NY state that could be attributed to Garrow?

Here is the timeline I have to the best of my knowledge (based on the article in the Saratogian, Wikipedia and the CBC articles.

http://www.saratogian.com/article/ST...NEWS/306229943

Robert Garrow's timeline

- March 4, 1936 -- Robert Garrow is born in Dannemora NY.
    - ~1951 (age 15) –sent to reform school for altercation with his father
    - ~1952 -- joins Air Force. Spends almost 2 years, mostly in military jail (stealing, etc.) including in Florida and Georgia
    - ~1954 – returns to NY State
    - June 1957 -- marries in Lowville (20 mi. s. of Watertown). Has son (timing?)
    - ~Sept 1957 – moves to Albany
    - 1961 -- arrested for raping a woman in Albany. Sentenced to 20 years.
    - 1968 -- released from state prison on good behavior after serving more than six years of a 20-year sentence.
    - 1972 -- ties up 2 college students in Syracuse. They refuse to press charges.
    - May 15, 1973 – Adele Komorowski raped/murdered in Hamilton Ontario. Did Garrow do it?
    - May 31, 1973 – arrested for raping 2 girls (9 and 11) in Geddes (nr Syracuse). Jumped bail. Became a fugitive.
    - July 11, 1973 -- rapes and kills 16-year-old Alicia Hauck in Syracuse.
    - July 14, 1973 -- kills Daniel Porter, 23, and Susan Petz, 20, in Wevertown, Warren County.
    - July 29, 1973 -- Garrow stabs to death Philip Domblewski at a campsite in Wells, Hamilton County, after tying him to a tree. Three other intended victims escape.
    - Aug. 9, 1973 --Garrow is shot, wounded and captured in Mineville, Essex County, where he grew up. He was shot by state Forest Ranger Hilary "Guy" LeBlanc of Ballston Spa, who is now retired.
    - July 2, 1974 --Garrow begins a 25-year to life prison sentence at Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora.
    - Sept. 8, 1978 -- Garrow escapes from the Elderly and Handicapped Unit at Fishkill Correctional Facility, where he was moved after faking paralysis.
    - Sept. 11, 1978 -- Garrow shoots at prison guards who spot him a short distance from prison walls. He is shot and killed when corrections officers return fire.

Because Garrow is classified as a "spree killer", I think he is being overlooked as a possible serial killer with a longer, more extensive history of killing. I am wondering what unsolved murders of young women there are in upstate NY in particular during the 1968 - 1973 period.

Any ideas??
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

Barbara Jean Kemp cannot be his victim. He was in prison at the time.
    Wanda Lee Walkowicz could be a victim.

Wanda Lee Walkowicz was considered one of the 3 alphabet victims in Rochester NY. One of the 3, Michele Mainze (11) was murdered in Nov 1973 so could not be a victim of Garrow's since he was arrested in August 1973.

I'll have to look closer at these cases.
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization