Mid-Atlantic States - DE, DC, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, W. VA - Weather Discussion

Wow, I;m surprised no one has responded to this. I live about an hour away and I saw it on the news. The damage is devestating. They are saying 200 people injured. The local news station here is http://www.wavy.com/, you can see live video and pictures.

Edited, sorry Barngoddess, I just saw you already listed this link.

The video of the damage is unbelievable. Only one dead *not* because of the tornado, but over 200 injured. The numbers may have gone up since they reported that though.

It hopped right over an elementary school but demolished homes right by the school. When did this happen? Were most kids at home or at school?

I've heard people give mention to earthquakes and tornadoes being linked. Now, I'm wondering.... :confused:

Any geologists or meteorologists care to share their opinion?

I hope the devastation isn't too horrific and the town can recover. How horrible. Every time there is one near, but misses us, I am thankful.

Wow, I;m surprised no one has responded to this. I live about an hour away and I saw it on the news. The damage is devestating. They are saying 200 people injured. The local news station here is http://www.wavy.com/, you can see live video and pictures.

Edited, sorry Barngoddess, I just saw you already listed this link.
Thanks gm, I'm also suprised hardly anyone responded. Fox said it reminded them of NO after Katrina, but I totally disagree, it was devastation like Hurricane Andrew that hit South Miami. There no one knew where they lived, because there were no street signs left or landmarks. Terrible. The cars and trucks that were thrown around shows how powerful this storm must have been. Glad you are ok and were not involved.

Is Old Dominion in Suffolk? I'm sorry it's Norfolk I get confused about that. I'm so sorry for all that devastation. That's awful.

The video of the damage is unbelievable. Only one dead *not* because of the tornado, but over 200 injured. The numbers may have gone up since they reported that though.

It hopped right over an elementary school but demolished homes right by the school. When did this happen? Were most kids at home or at school?

I think it happened about 5:00 pm. We saw it on the news before 6:00, and it was live feed after the tornado hit. The kids were out of school, but some kids were still in daycare and had to be evacuated. That must have been scary for the parents as well. It amazed me how people survive something like this. There is so few places in my home that we can safely hide. We will definately have to come up with a plan. It's weird because there were warnings on the TV from about 3:00 and they lasted until 8:00pm. About 5:30 we were all outside with the neighbor and it was really windy and sprinkling. Then we went inside and his wife called and said to turn on the news. We were shocked. I am in NC, but close to the border of Virginia. Chesapeake, Norfolk, Suffolk and Virgina Beach are all right there together.

The other thing was I had taped yesterday's General Hospital (which is on 3-4) and watched it this morning. The news broke in to report conditions favorable for a tornado, but they were predicting it for areas other than Suffolk. It was a total fluke that this happened.

I watched the news this morning and the views from the helocopter are unbelievable. It's much worse than I thought.

I am in the same area as you are gardenmom.(I am in Chowan county) All the local channels were being interrupted at 4 pm.Thats when I turned the tv on.I then kept it on so I could be alerted just in case.I saw the news this morning too and the distruction is awful.

Does anyone know what cat it was? Or even if it made cat staus?I did not hear this morning but I probably missed it due to getting the kids ready and off to school.

I am in the same area as you are gardenmom.(I am in Chowan county) All the local channels were being interrupted at 4 pm.Thats when I turned the tv on.I then kept it on so I could be alerted just in case.I saw the news this morning too and the distruction is awful.

Does anyone know what cat it was? Or even if it made cat staus?I did not hear this morning but I probably missed it due to getting the kids ready and off to school.

I don't know if they know for sure, but the newsman was guessing a 3 or 4. BTW, I am in Pasquotank County, we are neighbors!

The office I work in is about a mile from Driver (the historical town that was demolished). I was at work until about five and didn't even know it was happening. I looked out the window sometime around four and saw a big black cloud that way and was waiting for it to pass over our building (that's what usually happens when it storms) and it never did. The next time I looked it was gone. I suppose that was the tornado.

The area of Driver is gone except for two or three of the buildings and some are repairable. Luckily the homes that are right down the street seemed to have been spared. What was so upsetting was seeing the Nansemond Golf course homes. It looks as if they exploded.

I heard that the one death was not tornado related. I have a sick feeling that once they're able to get into those homes (or what's left of them) they're going to find more.

Hiya neighbor :) A 4 or 5 wow.I can believe that with all the damage I saw on the news :(

I have that same sick feeling too lizzybeth :(

Have they said 4 or 5? Last night watching the news I heard one of the weathermen (Lawson?) say he definitely thought it was between a 3 and 4. I know nothing about the criteria but looking at those houses that were demolished I was thinking at least a 4.

...hello to you too neighbor.:)

Can anyone tell me how close Smithfield is to Driver? I know Smithfield is in Suffolk. My uncle lives there and his phone has been busy. I am hoping he is OK.

I'm not good with determining distances but I think your uncle is probably fine. Smithfield isn't that close. I think if anything the lines might be down or so many people calling to check on loved ones that the circuits are busy. I haven't heard of any damage in Smithfield.

Thanks Lizzybeth! We were finally able to get through and he said some trees down, but nothing major.

There were several tornados in my area today. They didn't seem to be too bad, although one person's home was destroyed. I bring this up because my kids had a two hour delay for school today because there was a tornado "watch." Then as the bus was picking them up the watch turned into a "warning." Both kids went to school, but it was not an easy decision. My question is: what would you have done? Keep them home in case there was a tornado, or send them to school?

I only had one thing ever even come close. In 1991 or 1992 (CRS) when my hubby and I lived in Cape Cod, there was a hurricane coming. When we knew it was close I decided to stay home from work. Hurricanes seem to be much easier to predict though.

There were several tornados in my area today. They didn't seem to be too bad, although one person's home was destroyed. I bring this up because my kids had a two hour delay for school today because there was a tornado "watch." Then as the bus was picking them up the watch turned into a "warning." Both kids went to school, but it was not an easy decision. My question is: what would you have done? Keep them home in case there was a tornado, or send them to school?

I only had one thing ever even come close. In 1991 or 1992 (CRS) when my hubby and I lived in Cape Cod, there was a hurricane coming. When we knew it was close I decided to stay home from work. Hurricanes seem to be much easier to predict though.

gardenmom,
Yesterday when I saw your county have the 2 hour school delay and my county did not but we were under a tornado watch.I was going back and forth on sending my boys to school.The Northern part of my county seems to get the worst of the storms.
I sent them but I was watching the news and the skies like a hawk and my stomach was in knots.

Wow! We made it through another bad storm. We actually hid in the bathroom this time. I kept looking out the window to see if I could see a tornado coming and when the wind picked up I hightailed it outta there. It wasn't a tornado, but I wasn't sticking around to find that out. We've only lived here 2 years, but this is the first time I remember having this many tornado watches/warnings. We've had lots of storms with wind, so I don't know why its changed all of a sudden. I hope you guys are OK ceeaura!:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back