1049 users online (215 members and 834 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Atlanta is pretty much shut down. Snow started in my area (Marietta) at 10am, and is expected to keep falling until 7/8 tonight. Everything will freeze until Thursday. Roads have been closing since noon, tons of accidents, and my husband's school district didn't make the call to close early until things were already a mess. Kids are stuck at school, buses are stuck on the roads, parents can't get to their kids. Hubby just texted me that they may be able to leave school "soon", whatever that means, but at this point, it's going to be dark soon and even more dangerous to drive. What a mess this is.
    Life is an attitude... have a good one :Bananahi:

We were not supposed to get anything from this Southern storm, but it's pouring the snow here! I have forgotten what the ground looks like! You Southern neighbors? Please stay safe! I am used to this crap. DH taught me to drive on a solid sheet of ice at an abandoned airport, right after we were first married, so driving on ice or snow if I have to, is no biggie.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

It's 3am and these citizens are working to get everyone off the highway and into a home or shelter. I'm very impressed. Search snowedoutatlanta on facebook. They've created a map with locations and phone numbers of people that are offering beds near highways and major roads. Also Home Depot and krogers have opened their doors for people to shelter in. Kudos Atlanta.
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

Have to give it to Atlanta folks, we do help each other out when the poo hits the fan. Watching the news right now, and folks have been stuck on 75/85 and 285 since 2pm yesterday. I read that the National Guard is coming in to help.

I've been here twenty years. Have been through three bad winter storms. This is the worst I've seen. Hubby said that underneath the snow, there are solid sheets of ice. He was able to get home last night, finally, but there are thousands who weren't able to.

I know that people laugh at us for not being able to deal with this kind of weather, but we just aren't equipped for it, and there were some bad decisions yesterday that made things worse.

Everyone please stay safe and warm.

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    I won't be laughing at you guys. It is not like you get snow every year. I am just surprise schools were not canceled for the day. Even in NH, and Maine. They prepare for the whole day. 1 inch of snow is just as dangerous as 6. If the air is cold enough nothing helps the ice on our roads either.
    I am really sad people were stuck stranded. I would be one panic parent.

I know this is not the same area. But a few Saturdays ago, weather was way off. We ended up with heavy snow for hours, accumulated to 6 inches or more, in a fast amount of time. We had over 100 cars go off the road. So that just tells you, doesn't matter where you live. Snow can be horrible.

Chick-fil-A gives free food to motorists stranded in Southern snowstorm

Some of the drivers had been stuck in their cars for nearly seven hours without any food or water. So the staff of the Chick-fil-A decided to lend a helping hand.

“We cooked several hundred sandwiches and stood out on both sides of 280 and handed out the sandwiches to anyone we could get to – as long as we had food to give out.”

The staffers braved the falling snow and ice, slipping and sliding, as they offered hot juicy chicken breasts tucked between two buttered buns. And Chick-fil-A refused to take a single penny for their sandwiches.

The meal was a gift – no strings attached.

For the frozen drivers, it was manna from heaven.

“They were very excited and extremely thankful,” she said. “People were thankful to get something to put in their stomachs.”

Audrey said they were especially surprised that the sandwiches were free. Why not make some extra money during the storm? It’s not like anyone could go to another restaurant. Chick-fil-A had a captive crowd of hungry customers. So why did they give away their food?

“This company is based on taking care of people and loving people before you’re worried about money or profit,” Audrey told me. “We were just trying to follow the model that we’ve all worked under for so long and the model that we’ve come to love. There was really nothing else we could have done but try to help people any way we could.”

more at link ............ http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...ern-snowstorm/

Near Asheville NC here and it's freezing. Roads now seem passable but yesterday most everything got closed down early and temps reached 8 degrees.

The heat pump just can't keep up and if left running it runs on emergency heat all the time. No telling what this months electric bill will be. Last week I started running a kerosene heater which is great at taking over from the heat pump but don't think I'm saving much. Kerosene is running $4.20 a gallon and I've used maybe 60.00 worth in a 10 days.

Predicted 9 degrees tonight, wanting some of that global warming.
    Last edited by Peliman; 01-29-2014 at 03:29 PM.

People who live in snow country will be shocked to see the havoc 2 little inches does to "Dixie"

http://www.ajc.com/gallery/news/phot...gCHK6/#4469634

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs...e-2014/?324234

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3978...382/?ref=br_tf

& on the bright side, mom has it all under control at Berry College's eagle nest:

1796524_10152240900159052_455116861_n.jpg

Doctor walks six miles in snow to perform life-saving brain surgery at Trinity Medical Center

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Dr. Zenko Hrynkiw was at Brookwood Medical Center Tuesday morning when he was needed for emergency brain surgery at Trinity Medical Center.

The problem was the sudden snowstorm had locked down traffic, and the neurosurgeon didn't get farther than a few blocks.

full article at link ....... http://blog.al.com/wire/2014/01/doct...s_in_snow.html

I am very proud of the way so many people went out of their way to help strangers, But I would officially like to tell those with a victim mentality, who need to blame someone, and the media to suck it up!
    First, take care of yourself! My car always has a couple of bottles of water, snacks, first aid kit, those silver emergency blankets, and jumper cables. Why- because it's smart.its being prepared. Those things take up no space! I tell my kids try to keep at least a half a tank of gas in the car.
    Second, how about blaming no one. It's the weather. It's nature. It's also the south. Spending millions of dollars on material and equipment that would probably sit idle for years isn't a wise use of tax dollars. Yes, southern states have snow plows, salt and sand, but just enough to handle the typical small snow we get that usually melts by noon.
    Third, how about the media telling about all the good stories that I saw playing out on facebook, twitter, and the police scanner. Atlanta rose to the challenge, they deserve recognition and admiration.

Jmo
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

Unhappy

I feel for y'all. It's 8 degrees here this morning- I hate it.
    Nature happens, nothing we can really do except be prepared, and do our best.

I can't imagine being stuck like that. There's nothing worse than ice and panic.

Those poor people in Atlanta stuck out on the highways for 2 days. I think they are still clearing up that mess down there. Children that were stuck in buses and people in their cars running out of gas. People sleeping in stores like CVS and the temps are freeing. Can't call it Hotlanta for a little while.

Near Asheville temps were 4 degrees last night and it's warmed up to 6 now.

Suns out and it's supposed to reach 39 today, woohoo a warm front.

Kerosene heater is fired up and really helpful keeping this condo warm.

We've been through ice and snow before, and know that we need to stock up, hunker down, and stay warm until things warm up. But, with the school districts not releasing the students until way after the fact, then everyone leaving all at once, we had a nightmare scenario on our hands. Our traffic is awful even on sunny days - add some ice and snow to that, plus worry and panic, and of course, we're going to shut down. Things could have been much different if the government had played it safe and closed the schools and offices, and if businesses had just run on skeleton crews or closed on Tuesday.

I hope my city has learned a lesson from this. When you have children stranded overnight on school buses, it's time to admit that you messed up in a big way. When your salt and gravel trucks start treating an hour before the snow/ice starts, then get stuck on the interstate, you messed up in a big way. And before people say that folks could have chosen to stay home from work that day, not everyone has the option of taking paid days off. Georgia is a right to work state, and employers can and will fire you for anything they want to, as long as it isn't illegal. These residents followed what the leaders told them - and the leaders were very wrong.

Mini rant this morning, as I wait for my neighborhood to defrost. The ice on the roads, especially the hills, is terrible!

Here we go again! Metro Atlanta and North Georgia about to get whalloped by a nasty winter storm. My area is showing 3 inches of snow, plus ice and sleet. Gainesville is showing six and a half inches of snow.

Thankfully, government and school officials are being very proactive, started getting ready last night and have begun closings. I'm waiting for my husband's school district to go ahead and cancel school for tomorrow and Wednesday. They were already off due to furlough days from Thursday until next Wednesday. Gov. Deal just issued a state of emergency for some counties. It seems everyone learned a big lesson from a couple of weeks ago

Going to run to the store this afternoon and grab a few extra things, just in case. We were stuck in our neighborhood for three days last time lol. Snowpocalypse 2014, Part 2!

Hunker down and stay safe my friends in the south.

Good to see the weather taken more seriously this time by authorities. Couldn't believe the incredible mess and stranded drivers with the last storm.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast