1006 users online (112 members and 894 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Exclamation

Is Atlanta Ready? 'Catastrophic' Ice Storm Zeroes In

By M. Alex Johnson and Daniel Arkin

Forecasters used words like "catastrophic" and "historic" Tuesday to describe an ice storm heading toward Georgia and other areas of the Southeast before it moves up the coast to hit a beleaguered Northeast later in the week.

Almost a third of the U.S. population, 93 million people, lives in areas that were under some form of winter weather advisory. A third of those 32 million were under winter storm warnings, meaning the only question isn't whether they'll get hammered Wednesday, but how badly...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dee...-zeroes-n27186

Having had our share of ice storms in Michigan, I know how dangerous these weather events can be. If you live in the storm's path, I hope that you have made the necessary preparations to keep your loved ones safe and warm. Please don't venture out unless it's absolutely necessary, and be sure to drive with the utmost of caution on icy roads. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm in Western NC and we are expecting 6-10 inches or more starting Wednesday morning. I'm expecting to be home hunkered down the next few days.

No salt left in town, no snow shovels, no heaters on the shelves. They suggest kitty litter if you can find it. I'm all set, I'll remember what I forgot after the snow starts falling.

Just talked to someone in Frederick MD, they are expecting 8-12 inches the next 2 or 3 days.

Time to charge everything up, I'm antsy already. After 3 days of no civilization I might become a monk.

ATL 2,200+ Flights Cancelled.

What a mess!

Down South, if you are going to Heaven, you must change planes in Atlanta.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/del...flights/ndKrP/

Hunker down Leilei and Peli. ( I have folks near Brevard.)

Thanks, noZme! I'm up much later than usual watching this mess roll in. Marietta only got cold rain today, but the temps are dropping, and there is a whole lot of ugly about an hour or so away from us. The worst areas look to be north and east of the metro area, but we are still looking at about a half inch of ice on the power lines and trees, plus the sleet/snow to top everything off. Up near and in the mountains they are calling for nine inches of snow - that's just crazy down here!

I went to Kroger last night, and it was packed, worse than Christmas Eve day. Cooked a bunch today and it will last us until Friday if the power should go out. Hubby's school district cancelled classes, so he is home and safe, as are the students Happy that our officials were pro-active this time. They're calling this event "potentially catastrophic", and that's pretty scary.

I'll be checking in as usual if I can (closing arguments in the Dunn trial, would hate to miss that and the comments of the folks who are following it). Everyone in this storm's path, please stay safe, warm, and off of the roads!
    Life is an attitude... have a good one :Bananahi:

Just waiting to see how this will impact us here in middle Georgia -- my worst worry, I guess, is losing power. With an elderly family member to take care of, that does weigh heavy on my mind. We are total electric except for a fireplace insert, and have well water so if we lose power we lose water.

Do have enough firewood to get us through a few days, if need be, and more waiting to be hauled if it comes down to that.

I just barely remember the ice storm of 1963 (I think that's the right year) here in the area. That was something! We were without power then for about a week -- the ice looked like snow on the ground (I was so young and snow such an unknown that I more or less considered it to be "snow"). All through the days and nights you could stand outside and hear limbs and trees cracking and popping and crashing in the woods. We had propane heat back then, so we did stay warm.

Today (Wednesday) is my daughter's 26th birthday. Think she and the boyfriend had big dining-out plans but it looks like that MAY be put on hold. She was born during some pretty big snow in Illinois -- kidding her about having to bring winter weather with her on her "day" all the time!

Everybody, stay safe!

Stocked up on gas and groceries. We are only supposed to get 6 inches here in Ky on the Va border. Our problem is where we are so high up on a mountain, it always goes about 3-4 inches more for us, thus knocking down trees and power lines. We have been without power 2-3 days too numerous to count. Two winters ago we were without power for 2 weeks because of our isolation. Back in the 80's they had a chopper bring us in fuel, because the roads were impassable. We did invest in a huge generator after our last outage. We have a propane fireplace, plus a 100 pound tank of fuel sitting in our living room. The Generator will take care of the lights, our pc's, fridge, freezer, and anything else we get the urge to plug in. No heat in the bedrooms during these times so we use electric blankets, and stay cozy.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay safe and warm, everyone. We're only dealing with chilly rain in New Orleans. Lots of it, but at least it's not frozen.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Good luck Backwoods & Tulessa it sounds like you are as prepared as can be. We get back to basics when we must - keeping warm & having food. Access to electronic devices has become almost as important these days! I am south of "the action" this week & so glad because I am hosting a big engagement party Saturday.... hope the ATL area guests will make it down.

It's ugly out there! Lots of ice. We had sleet start at about 3am, and it's all frozen solid. Freezing rain is supposed to start up again soon, then snow until tomorrow. Windy, too.

Our power has been fine so far, but a lot of my friends have had outages or flickering.

On the bright side, we had plenty of time to prepare. Good job, officials Y'all stay safe, warm, and happy!
    Life is an attitude... have a good one :Bananahi:

Raleigh and Durham are a mess. This storm went from nothing to streets covered with little snow pellets that packed down and made a slick mess in a very short time.

See live news coverage here:

http://www.wral.com/news/video/13384676/

Oh dear. North Carolina traffic jams. The woman on the phone on CNN says she's been stuck for 4 hours and she said it will be another 2 hours before she gets home.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Duke Energy power outage maps

Here's a link to the power outage map for the portion of Duke Energy in the Carolinas that used to be Progress Energy. You can drill down to the street level.

https://www.progress-energy.com/app/...carolinas.aspx

Here is the outage map for the rest of Duke Energy in the Carolinas

https://www.duke-energy.com/north-ca....asp#outagemap

Hope you all are safe and warm. Thanks for reminding me to charge stuff.

Unreal. 8 inches and no let up in sight. No ice though!!
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

We have ice and snow in AL.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast