637 users online (81 members and 556 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    We hit 114 here today, the low tonight is supposed to be in the low 80's.

76 here right now, LDRN...come on over, and we'll cook out before the rain moves in!

Quote Originally Posted by my_tee_mouse View Post
    76 here right now, LDRN...come on over, and we'll cook out before the rain moves in!
    Sounds nice! I can't wait for the sun to go down tonight! I guess I will say to myself what I've been telling my hubby since he moved here...."But honey, it's a DRY heat"

Here in the Phoenix valley, I have had two late night alerts on my cell phone. My cell phone is in the living room when I go to bed and it's bellowing at me with the exact tone they have on TV. Both times it was for a dust storm warning in effect til midnight.

You woke me up for that?

Best news though is we are hoping to get our first monsoon weather this weekend with 30% chance of thunderstorms over the next three days. It will be nice to clear the air! Without much rain here, allergies can get nasty!

Texas having great rains this entire week- keep it coming! :)

Quite an unusual turn of events for N. Texas in July. Hardly ever rains but we have had an unseasonably rainy week and a half.

Our lake levels are so low.. I hope this is helping some.
    Our household water bill was over $500 last month ( for 2 adults).

Oh, and the thermostat went completely nuts on our upstairs cooling and heating system. I went upstairs yesterday and could not BREATHE. The temperature read 96 degrees with the air on. Called the HVAC people, they said the thermostat, which is new, along with the upstairs system, malfunctioned and was delivering both HEAT and COOLING.

They disabled the heat until they can get a new thermostat in Monday or so. The weirdest things have happened to us as a couple with heating and cooling central systems since we married a long time ago. This was THE weirdest thus far. The dude even had problems finding the cause. Whew- HOT up there until this afternoon.

Rain, we need more rain please.

Excellent New York Times article about Channel 9 meteorologist the veteran forecaster Gary England, with lots of weather lore about Okie-land.

The Weather God of Oklahoma City

Live stream of the Boulder flood: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video/livevideo

Stay safe all.

Boulder area calls for thousands more evacuations

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...untain_town-ap

LYONS, Colo. (AP) — With rain still falling and the flood threat still real, authorities called on thousands more people in the inundated city of Boulder and a mountain hamlet to evacuate as nearby creeks rose to dangerous levels.

The late-night reports from Boulder and the village of Eldorado Springs came as rescuers struggled to reach dozens of people cut off by flooding in Colorado mountain communities, while residents in the Denver area and other downstream communities were warned to stay off flooded streets...........

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Boulder area calls for thousands more evacuations

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...untain_town-ap

LYONS, Colo. (AP) — With rain still falling and the flood threat still real, authorities called on thousands more people in the inundated city of Boulder and a mountain hamlet to evacuate as nearby creeks rose to dangerous levels.

The late-night reports from Boulder and the village of Eldorado Springs came as rescuers struggled to reach dozens of people cut off by flooding in Colorado mountain communities, while residents in the Denver area and other downstream communities were warned to stay off flooded streets...........
    Hubby and I remarked on how fast the flood waters were. In our area a flood waters simply rise up unless you are right by a levee that breaks. In Colorado the flood waters looked like rapids! Easy to see why everything is eroding so quickly.

Wished there would have been a way to send some of the Colorado flood rapids to Jersey Shores area.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

help, lol

been an intense 24 hours in the denver, boulder areas.

its a freaking mess here.

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    help, lol

been an intense 24 hours in the denver, boulder areas.

its a freaking mess here.
    Hoping you are safe! Trying to send you our dry weather your way.

I remember the canyon flood that killed over a hundred, wiping out a campsite and homes many, many years ago. This flood however, seems so widespread. Can't believe all the roads and highways closed from the flood....and simply gone.

Weather Channel has been covering the floods last two days. With some Jersey shore coverage. The videos are just almost impossible to believe.

It's like a 'storm surge' on land!
    -

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

After a severely hot and dry summer, we are finally getting substantial rain. I don't know if it will get us out of this record drought, but it's a welcome relief. The temps are finally down to the low 70's.

It's really strange dealing with humidity. My skin looks softer and my hair is shinier. But I can't get beyond the feeling that a wet blanket has been dropped on my shoulders. Today I closed the windows and put on the heat just to dry out the house a little. I could never live in a humid climate again.

I don't know if I'd label it Global Warming, but I'm absolutely sure that the weather is changing. When I first moved to NM the winters were cold with adequate snow- enough to keep our reservoirs replenished. The sun would quickly melt the snow so it didn't usually stick around for more than a couple of days.

We'd have several weeks of hot weather in the summer but I don't remember it ever getting into the 100's. Even the high 90's was rare. The monsoons would swoop in bringing lots of rain and cool temps. with a refreshing breeze. in the evenings.

Now, everything is changed. The spring and autumn seasons have been cut short, barely leaving time to plant before the summer heat is cooking the soil. And we jump so quickly from summer to winter that there's hardly time to winterize the house.

Maybe we could share some Climate Change stories from our areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
    Hoping you are safe! Trying to send you our dry weather your way.

I remember the canyon flood that killed over a hundred, wiping out a campsite and homes many, many years ago. This flood however, seems so widespread. Can't believe all the roads and highways closed from the flood....and simply gone.

Weather Channel has been covering the floods last two days. With some Jersey shore coverage. The videos are just almost impossible to believe.

It's like a 'storm surge' on land!

Thank you Show Me! Safe here, barely, lol.

I created a thread here with some MSM articles from today for anyone interested in the Colorado floods:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221950
    Last edited by KateB; 06-10-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Oarfish predicting earthquakes? I do believe animals can detect danger ahead of us. Through out history we read of animals abandoning cities before an earthquake, or behaving strangely.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/can-o...nds-8C11443269

Can oarfish predict earthquakes? Maybe it's not as crazy as it sounds

Now, some are claiming that oarfish washing ashore is a sign that an earthquake will soon follow. Shortly before the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami struck Japan, about 20 oarfish stranded themselves on beaches in the area, Mark Benfield, a researcher at Louisiana State University, told LiveScience in an earlier interview.
    -

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast