735 users online (83 members and 652 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    This past Saturday (Oct 26, 2013), I heard the most intense thunder I have ever heard (for reference, I am in Central Texas). I usually love thunder storms but this one woke me up around 1/2am and the thunder was so intense, it scared the living hay out of me, I was waiting for the world to cave in. It sounded like we were literally in the middle of a thunder cloud, absolutely intense!

Winter Storm Boreas Creates Dangerous Conditions from California into Texas

http://www.wunderground.com/news/win...-news-20131122

Winter Storm Boreas moved into parts of the U.S. Southwest and Southern Plains, bringing arctic temperatures and wintry precipitation into the region.

(MORE: Drivers, Avoid These Cities)

Parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas were already feeling some impacts by Friday........

Ian McAnally @IancredibleMS
    “@finebaum: Ice being removed from @boonepickens Stadium. pic.twitter.com/bkU0NHAI0O” Wow. Ice in Stillwater?

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

It started raining here in Tucson last night and is still raining now! It's a blessing and the desert is just soaking it up.

3 killed in California as winter weather hits West

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...northern_ca-ap

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Three people were killed in blustery Northern California, football playoffs were called off because of rain in Arizona, and dozens of cars became stranded in snowy rural Nevada as winter weather barreled through the West.

More at link....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Powerful storm system blasts US West; 5 killed

http://centurylink.net/news/read/cat...rmy_weather-ap

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A powerful storm system marched toward New Mexico on Saturday with predictions of widespread snow, freezing temperatures and gusty winds after leaving parts of the Western U.S. soaked.

The fierce weather has led to at least five deaths, with flooding and water rescues reported in California, stranded drivers in Nevada and hundreds of crashes among desert dwellers in Arizona and New Mexico.......more with pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Powerful storm system blasts US West; 5 killed

http://centurylink.net/news/read/cat...rmy_weather-ap

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A powerful storm system marched toward New Mexico on Saturday with predictions of widespread snow, freezing temperatures and gusty winds after leaving parts of the Western U.S. soaked.

The fierce weather has led to at least five deaths, with flooding and water rescues reported in California, stranded drivers in Nevada and hundreds of crashes among desert dwellers in Arizona and New Mexico.......more with pictures....
    Saw this maybe brewing. Could this be the Thanksgiving Day that there are no balloons at the Macy's Parade due to winds? I love the balloons!

We're blanketed by at least 12" of snow at my location, which is a lot for New Mexico. I'm not happy about it, but as DrKnow expressed in an earlier post, those of us in the desert need the moisture.

Snow usually melts quite quickly right after the sun comes out, so they don't bother plowing most of the streets. We were advised to stay in and not contribute to the hazardous road conditions.

I think it might snow again tonight, which will mean I'd have to put off my errands until Tuesday. I'm hoping we'll see sunshine in a few days. At least I don't have to be concerned about commuting to a job!

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Massive storm heads east

Massive Thanksgiving storm heads east

More than 300 flights canceled in Dallas-Fort Worth area

Author: By Holly Yan CNN

Published On: Nov 25 2013 03:09:15 AM EST Updated On: Nov 25 2013 09:25:03 AM EST

(CNN) -
    The wicked wintry weather that pummeled the West Coast is now barreling across the country, threatening to wreck millions of holiday travel plans just before Thanksgiving.

The storm has already contributed to at least 10 traffic fatalities.

Nearly 400 flights have been canceled in the Dallas-Fort Worth area -- not exactly a bastion for snowstorms. Sleet and freezing rain will keep blanketing parts of the Southern Plains and Southern Rockies on Monday...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/m...z/-/index.html

Safe travels, Websleuthers

It appears that the storm has moved on. It's a bright, sunny day here in Santa Fe and temps will be warming up through Thanksgiving. The low temps and snow are unusual for this time of the year, so I'm looking forward to the return of more seasonal weather.

Quote Originally Posted by ctkid View Post
    Saw this maybe brewing. Could this be the Thanksgiving Day that there are no balloons at the Macy's Parade due to winds? I love the balloons!
    Macy's issued a statement that the balloons would be grounded if the winds hit 23 mph. I looked and there will be gust's to 40 mph. They also have increased the handlers of the balloons from 50 to 90-110.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...arade-balloons

New York City rules dictate that the balloon lift-off must be cancelled should “sustained winds exceed 23 m.p.h. and gusts exceed 34 m.p.h.,” a decree made in 1997 after some nasty winds resulted in a Cat in the Hat balloon knocking into a light pole, which injured a parade spectator. At the moment, winds tomorrow are expected to reach 20 m.p.h., with gusts reaching 36 m.p.h., which puts the forecast right in the “no go” danger zone.

Warm through Monday, changes ahead

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weat...odays-forecast

Tuesday is when we see a significant change in our forecast. We will go from temperatures over 60 on Monday, to below zero by the end of the week.

Chance of snowfall starts by Tuesday night and continues through the end of the week.

The 6th thru the 10th with over running events.

Exclamation Ice continues in TX-

People living in the DFW area are, for the most part, stranded in place today, as sleet continues to fall and freeze.

My area has about 3 inches of snow with lots of ice mixed in. "Wet snow".
    I only see a few cars moving on the news reports and they are strugging.
    The roads are sheets of ice.

As for me and my house, we still have electricity but have experienced a major failure of the " brain" of the pool, the pump. It has a built in feature to circulate the pool water when the thermometer reaches near freezing. The thermostat did not work today or the pump failed independently of the thermostat.
    It is a huge mess this AM. No water is flowing, and I venture that it has major damage to the plumbing and electrical system.

There are many power outages and since I live so very far out in the country, am hoping not to lose power, as it could be several days for restoration, as history has demonstrated.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Another winter storm brings snow to West as freeze grips much of the nation

By Daniella Silva, NBC News

Widespread snowfall and freezing winds left icy roads and power outages stretching from Texas to the Rockies on Saturday as another powerful winter storm hit the West Coast. Much of the nation was expected to feel the advancing freeze by Monday.

The storm is set to affect a wide swathe of the nation over the weekend, including areas already pummeled by ice and freezing rain over last week. Winter storm warnings were in effect for parts of California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado with winter storm advisories in Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona.

“Over the last 24 hours we’ve already seen snow fall amounts from 2 to 10 inches,” said Kelsey Angle, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...od&par=xfinity

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast