782 users online (118 members and 664 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Storms Could Affect Millions

Unusually massive line of storms aim at Midwest

SETH BORENSTEIN, AP
    4 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) A gigantic line of powerful thunderstorms could affect one in five Americans on Wednesday as it rumbles from Iowa to Maryland packing hail, lightning and tree-toppling winds.

Meteorologist are warning that the continuous line of storms may even spawn an unusual weather event called a derecho (duh-RAY'-choh), which is a massive storm of strong straight-line winds spanning at least 240 miles. Wednesday's storms are also likely to generate tornadoes and cause power outages that will be followed by oppressive heat, said Bill Bunting, operations chief at the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla.

The risk of severe weather in Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, is roughly 45 times higher than on a normal June day, Bunting said. Detroit, Baltimore, Washington, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Louisville, Ky., have a risk level 15 times more than normal. All told, the area the weather service considers to be under heightened risk of dangerous weather includes 64 million people in 10 states...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...US--Big.Storm/

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Threat of severe storms looming across SE Michigan

Author: Brandon Roux, Local 4 Meteorologist , broux@wdiv.com

Published On: Jun 12 2013 10:30:24 AM EDT Updated On: Jun 12 2013 10:32:19 AM EDT

DETROIT -
    We will see storms moving in this afternoon and some of them will be strong to severe. Other than a quick, light showers through noon, it will be a warm and pleasant first half of the day before the storms roll in...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weathe...z/-/index.html

Appears the north mid-west, west eastern areas are going to get hit. Stay alert my friends.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Derecho?? Whaaaaat??

Quote Originally Posted by amandab View Post
    Derecho?? Whaaaaat??
    I started a thread here in the weather forum this morning, because it is not just going to hit the midwest, but all the way to the east coast:

Possible Derecho Forming 06/12/13 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

A derecho:

Derecho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 06-18-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    Proud WS N-LIB

Iowa (again!), formerly Florida, Land of the Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
    Pretty intense Convection outlook for the states of Illinois, Ohio, Indiana area.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

TorCon Index for the area

Wednesday, June 12

Scattered severe thunderstorms along a stationary front, probably initially as a storm cluster and possibly derecho (widespread damaging thunderstorm windstorm associated with a large bow echo on radar) in IA, south WI, north IL, south MI, north IN, north OH, west PA, WV, then likely followed in afternoon and evening by a mixture of supercell thunderstorms and smaller bow echoes in north and central IL, north and central IN, OH, east-central MO. TOR:CON - 5 central IL; 4 central IN; 3 south OH, WV; 2 to 3 rest of above area.

Isolated severe thunderstorms in central MT, northwest and north-central WY. TOR:CON - 2 to 3
    BBM

We just had one of these 2 years ago...man did it cause a lot of damage...hope it doesn't happen again...

Derecho?? Whaaaaat??
    Sounds like something one would order at Mexican Village - with a carafe of Sangria.

Flash Flood warning issued for six southeastern Michigan counties.

http://detroit.justweather.com/severe/

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...recast-pm.html

We have Tornado Watch here and Tornado Warnings in Crawford and Richland counties.

1 inch hail in Shelby, OH.

Phone charged - check, drinking water in basement - check, sangria - check (thanks BDE)
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

Eep! When I left work this afternoon (just before 5) it looked like my boyfriend's softball game might still be on. As I walked into my front door, downpour. I'm glued to the TV, because I hate storms, and there have been a few very loud cracks of thunder.

I'm in Madison, WI--the worst of it is passing us by. Whew. I've got my cellphone charged up, though, and a headlamp at the ready if I need to dash to the basement tonight.

now tornado warning for Holmes County, Ohio (millersburg - amish country)
    "Something's not right with that girl" - Jose Baez during Opening Statement

My post may only be used on Websleuths. Thanks.

All post are my opinion and speculation only and are not meant as anything else.......so unless I'm quoting MSM, take it for what it's worth!!!

Derecho?? Whaaaaat??
    a widespread, long-lived, straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms. Generally, derechos are convection-induced and take on a bow echo(backward "C") form of squall line, forming in an area of wind divergence in the upper levels of the troposphere, within a region of low-level warm air advection and rich low-level moisture. They travel quickly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind is sustained and increases in strength behind the front, generally exceeding hurricane-force. A warm-weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially during June and July in the Northern Hemisphere, within areas of moderately strong instability and moderately strong vertical wind shear. They may occur at any time of the year and occur as frequently at night as during the daylight hours.

Derecho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 06-18-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    "Something's not right with that girl" - Jose Baez during Opening Statement

My post may only be used on Websleuths. Thanks.

All post are my opinion and speculation only and are not meant as anything else.......so unless I'm quoting MSM, take it for what it's worth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RLynne View Post
    Eep! When I left work this afternoon (just before 5) it looked like my boyfriend's softball game might still be on. As I walked into my front door, downpour. I'm glued to the TV, because I hate storms, and there have been a few very loud cracks of thunder.

I'm in Madison, WI--the worst of it is passing us by. Whew. I've got my cellphone charged up, though, and a headlamp at the ready if I need to dash to the basement tonight.
    Let's hope it passes you by.

I'm thinking it may not be as bad as predicted....I hope I hope I hope.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

I live in Kankakee county, IL. We had some good sized hail. I ran out and grabbed a couple after it stopped, and tried to rush them in before they melted. The best thing I had nearby for size ref was a potato.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast